• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2024/25 - Time to Cook šŸ‘Øā€šŸ³

Transfer news
No thatā€™s fine mid table it will be

Why does being a sensibly run club mean we will be mid table, Pete? Or is it transfer guru? Although I know that Pete or James isnā€™t your real nameā€¦

Iā€™ll have a Ā£20 bet that we donā€™t finish mid table with the loser paying ShrimperZone.

You do realise, last summer, just how close we were to going out of business? You do realise just how close we went to being kicked out of the league? You do realise just how close we became to not having a Southend United to support?

Iā€™d take mid table over having no club all day long thank you.

Ok I take it for this season then we are all happy with mid table? Our squad is smaller than the back end of last season I just hope we suffer no injuries
The squad is bigger and better than it was at the start of last season, and we finished in the playoffs on the pitch.

COSU have barely been in charge a week. Are we really already moaning that we arenā€™t recklessly throwing money about and rushing transfers? Have we not learnt any lessons from the previous regime?

Why does being a sensibly run club mean we will be mid table, Pete? Or is it transfer guru? Although I know that Pete or James isnā€™t your real nameā€¦

Iā€™ll have a Ā£20 bet that we donā€™t finish mid table with the loser paying ShrimperZone.

You do realise, last summer, just how close we were to going out of business? You do realise just how close we went to being kicked out of the league? You do realise just how close we became to not having a Southend United to support?

Iā€™d take mid table over having no club all day long thank you.
Thatā€™s a fair point tbh. Think the excitement of kabongo got better of me .

The squad is bigger and better than it was at the start of last season, and we finished in the playoffs on the pitch.

COSU have barely been in charge a week. Are we really already moaning that we arenā€™t recklessly throwing money about and rushing transfers? Have we not learnt any lessons from the previous regime?
Think it was that Kev interview when he was exasperated at the training conditions and saying how behind we were numbers wise. I think as the man that steered us through the hardest of times, he wants this season to be a success, like we all do, but also that the backs against the wall stuff that clearly motivated the team is now a thing of the past. He wants promotion and having quality across the park is important and I think this squad is excellent but we need options to come and change things, open sides up etc. We all donā€™t want to waste this positive feeling and we all want Kev to have the best crack it he can have from the very beginning. The shenanigans of the previous owner have put pay to that so Iā€™d be happy to start as we are now and add the quality in the first quarter of the season as it becomes available.

Last edited:
To early to be critical on lack of business...... I think its pretty obvious to everyone we need 3/4 signings for us to be serious promotion contenders. I do agree what couple posters have said though we can't just rely on John still to magic up few gems for next to nothing all the time, we do need couple of signings who played in conference or league 2 with pedigree of winning promotion. Let's see by the end of August if our incoming signings will fire us to potentially challenging for top spot. Deep down we all want out of this league even COSU for that fact otherwise why bother spending 4 million on us just to suck it up in the conference. Should be decent season for all concerned with Southend.

Harvey Sayer is not very big but was another very decent youngster we released a couple of years ago, he is a right back/ winger and seems to have discovered his scoring boots last season and in pre season.He was at Norwich as a youth for 5 years and then spent 6 and and a half years with us but hardly got a look in playing only 5 1st team games.He played a lot of loan games especially at Maldon but obviously didnā€™t show enough ability for us to keep him.
Harvey Sayer has certainly earned his chance to play at a higher level again. He scored 29 goals for Lowestoft last season as they won the Isthmian Division One North, which is a fantastic return for any player but absolutely phenomenal for a player who doesn't play as a striker.

Looking like a skint club
We are 4 players short. 2 weeks until the season starts and about 6 or 8 months until the transfer deadline. Itā€™s always been easier in this league to pick up players when the EFL deadline passes. Iā€™d also say that the one gap in the first 11 is with attacking midfield. The keeper, right back and striker will likely have to wait their turn to the pre-season owners of their shirts.

love hearing about us being linked to players from places I didn't even know had a team. never mind league players, I love a non-league gem
love hearing about us being linked to players from places I didn't even know had a team. never mind league players, I love a non-league gem
just one Freddy Eastwood.....that's all it takes

A left footed right-back is rare.

Whatā€™s he like defensively?
He was very lightweight when with us, I think that was one of the reasons he was released they didnā€™t think at the time his slight build would suit league two football, but no doubt he has filled out a lot since then! He is quick and skilful and probably more suited to the wing or wingback role.

Most league clubs,L1 and Chumps are still assessing their squads, coming and goings, surplus, those to keep, those to "squad", those to loan out etc.
Heck ? How many, for example, young Kanu s, are there on fringes, on radars? just takes time.
#believe
Yes we signed some of our best players last season after the season actually started, players like Cameron Mcgeehan who has now moved on to the league above with Northampton.

Harvey Sayer has certainly earned his chance to play at a higher level again. He scored 29 goals for Lowestoft last season as they won the Isthmian Division One North, which is a fantastic return for any player but absolutely phenomenal for a player who doesn't play as a striker.
Yes indeed, now you have to weigh up, is he just a one season wonder or can he reproduce that form at a higher level, I hope he goes on to do well, he is a nice lad.

Back