• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2024/25 - Time to Cook šŸ‘Øā€šŸ³

Transfer news
I think after watching some matches that we need a player that is a leader on the pitch. Probably a player with good experience .
Ralph seems a good player, but as captain, itā€™s a no from me.
I do also think that our style of play doesnā€™t suit some on the white board and they wonā€™t sign for us.
We are free of the šŸ€ , but he has got us such a bad name that better potential recruits wonā€™t join us.
Some wonā€™t agree with me, but itā€™s just how I see it.

I said this on Saturday and I think I've said it before - we need an experienced beast at the back who can nurture the younger up and coming lads.

Think Tozer at Wrexham (now at FGR) or that Sutton No.3 who was giving Pepple a rough time last Saturday.

For all Crowther and / or Kensdale's 'rough diamond from the lower leagues that we're going to polish' it doesn't help us move up the table / get out of the NL any time soon.

Butcher - albeit 33 - may be the answer.

This is just my opinion of course.

I think we can all agree we need couple more signings but who can we attract to Southend now...... free agents who no club wants, youth loans from EFL but no guarantees they would improve us but could be decent short term option. We really needed to get all our business done by the 31st August, hopefully COSU will have gained knowledge of how the transfer market works going forward so we aren't scrapping the barrel in September for crap frees and odd youth who not upto mens football. The pool of players available now is very small so with that in mind I'm not overly confident whoever we bring in will greatly improve us. Might just be case of waiting till January for more availability in the transfer market.

Whatever kensdale done it can't be that bad. We had nile ranger play for us lol. Free kensdale!
Whatever kensdale done it can't be that bad. We had nile ranger play for us lol. Free kensdale!
It can be when it is rumoured to be against his so called team mates

Are we really suggesting Joe Felix was going to join us to be Gus' backup instead of signing for his previous manager at moneybags York to play every week?

Felix had verbally agreed terms with us, but couldnā€™t sign anything due to the embargo. York came in then and signed his deal, same with Pearce.

Andy Dallas did the same TWICE.

Josh Kelly would have been ours too, but Devonshire refused to do business with RM as we stung him before.

Gubbins and Walker joined on the 9th July after the embargo was lifted.

Omar Mussa had been without a club since being released by Dagenham & Redbridge on the 3rd May.

If Omar was really that high up on the list why wasn't he snapped up when Gubbins and Walker joined if he was one we was after for ages. Instead he joined Torquay (National League South) on the 26th July 2 weeks after the embargo was lifted. and a week after the consortium took over.

Why would Joe Felix from Worthing have joined us to play second fiddle to Gus instead of linking up with his previous manager

Omar and Eastham were last summer, not the one just gone. Remy was another previous case.

I've known Calum Butcher since he was 7 when he played in the same junior team as one of my lads, and the last time I saw him he was settled in Scotland and intended to stay there. He's been playing as a central defender for Motherwell in the SPL and hopes that switching to that position from midfield will extend his career.

He also doesn't fit the more usual target of the 3 Amigos BUT he is local and an SPL player will easily be able to cope in the NL.

Interesting.
What he is is a Kensdale replacement- good on the ball and with decent distribution in the centre of a three- thatā€™s why heā€™s needed and probably players of that profile are very thin on the ground.

I hope you are right. Getting released by Motherwell at the age of 33 does not fill me with enormous confidence, particularly if his presence in the team comes at the expense of the development of promising younger defenders like Crowther and Gubbins.

Having said that, the management team must be convinced Calum Butchers' legs have not gone and he can provide vital leadership and experience at the back. I guess we will soon know.
Motherwell are 5th in the SPL and we are in the NL regrettably- a large drop in level it saddens me to say. The days when we could get sniffy even about the Scottish First Divsion have long passed us by.

A lot of talk about defenders but, I'm not that bothered about altering what we have. They are by and large steady and reliable. The odd errors from the keeper onwards have made us the masters of our own downfall. Increased experience will decrease the errors and that will come. At least we have ball playing defenders and not just cloggers.
I would like to see some steel in the midfield. A tough tackling son of a bitch that is not dislodged off the ball every time the wind changes direction. Add to that a unit up front, a target man, not necessarily a high scorer but one that chips in and gives the opportunity for others to have a crack.
We have possession in our first third/half but rarely hang on to it up top. Keeping it there reduces the pressure on our back line and the hopeful extra goals in the for column will negate the odd ones we let in.
Scoring will get us out of the division. When we only score one it is likely to end in a draw or defeat.
I applaud playing football the 'proper' way but, we look like a jabby, fleet footed middleweight in the ring with Tyson Fury. We are always on the wrong end of the sucker punch.
We do not need wholesale changes. We have the ability with a couple of additions. Sorry to say though we also need to amend what goes on between Maher's ears. Less 'my way or the highway' and more' Get it down. Take chances. It may be bad, but it's the only way you can do anything really good' (William Faulkner)

Kendale replacement should be brilliant on the ball, able to carry the ball out and get moves going in the opponents half.
No slouch in the pace dept
Good enough in the air
Reads the game well.
Good communicator
Easy
Now we just need to find someone that fits that mould, thats without a club and will work for peanuts.

I'd be happy with 2 replacements. One for now that is a little experienced but is here on a 1 year deal, and another plucked from the league below very much like how we got Kensdale from Concord

So if we were going to sign all these top players for this level in the summer can I ask why we are struggling to sign anyone now? It seems from the outside that the budget has been tightened rather than anything else. We desperately need bodies in to boost the squad and there are some decent players around including those not playing in EFL, players from non-league and loans from the premier league. As everyone keeps saying we are a big club with amazing support and under new ownership so surely we cant be a bad option for players. Is it Maher and the management being really fussy?

So if we were going to sign all these top players for this level in the summer can I ask why we are struggling to sign anyone now? It seems from the outside that the budget has been tightened rather than anything else. We desperately need bodies in to boost the squad and there are some decent players around including those not playing in EFL, players from non-league and loans from the premier league. As everyone keeps saying we are a big club with amazing support and under new ownership so surely we cant be a bad option for players. Is it Maher and the management being really fussy?
I think it's fair to say theres multiple factors, selling clubs wont be willing to part ways at this time, EFL clubs will be unlikely to sell outside the window, Kevin doesnt really like loans too much.

All of which arent as impactful as the fact we are left with scraps, and clubs are well aware of that and are in a position of strength when it comes to negotiations. I would imagine the budget is somewhat tight without being restrictive enough to build a squad, and having to spend money on 4th/5th choice now when in the summer we can actually look at 1st choice options is probably a tough choice to make.

I expect we can't sign anyone now because the players we want are under contract, although they may become available in the summer. I'm led to believe we have availability in the budget but refuse to sign players that will just make up the numbers.

I expect we can't sign anyone now because the players we want are under contract, although they may become available in the summer. I'm led to believe we have availability in the budget but refuse to sign players that will just make up the numbers.
I agree with this, i would settle for mid table this season and strong recruitment next than to stock the club with fodder for the sake of it. Cant stand the thought of signing players just because.

Back