• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2024/25 - Time to Cook 👨‍🍳

Transfer news
I will say it again, can we fill a £2m funding gap in National League? I really dont think we can.

Not a hope in hell.

The only way to become sustainable is EFL football. The only way to get EFL football is by signing a lot of fire power.

Notts, stockpot, Wrexham and Chesterfield all invested in the top end of the pitch on very good players.

We've lost our best striker and signed a loanee with no record of scoring goals and an unfit player who hasnt scored goals for years.

The signings we are making are players on their way down and not on there way up..

Not a hope in hell.

The only way to become sustainable is EFL football. The only way to get EFL football is by signing a lot of fire power.

Notts, stockpot, Wrexham and Chesterfield all invested in the top end of the pitch on very good players.

We've lost our best striker and signed a loanee with no record of scoring goals and an unfit player who hasnt scored goals for years.

The signings we are making are players on their way down and not on there way up..
Nailed it.
Late to start signing players though.

Not a hope in hell.

I think Bim was a contingency in place from John Still (given his ties with Luton) and I will never be mad at that, player came in prepared to play with 24 hours notice and has worked hard for us.

Bonne again was the best of a bad bunch available on a free.

Totally agree however, I don't think it will take the owners long to figure out they need to spend big money.

Real issue lies with NL, only 2 up is what causes a lot of clubs to spend wrecklessly and the lack of funding.

Unfortunately this is what another summer of turmoil gets you. We are left with a lot of targets way down the list, or not even on it.
Yeah the non emotional non sarcastic, sensible answer is still Ron screwed us right up to the most recent pre season thus ruining our transfer target list.
Although I still maintain it wouldn't be hard to outbid us.

I've known Calum Butcher since he was 7 when he played in the same junior team as one of my lads, and the last time I saw him he was settled in Scotland and intended to stay there. He's been playing as a central defender for Motherwell in the SPL and hopes that switching to that position from midfield will extend his career.

He also doesn't fit the more usual target of the 3 Amigos BUT he is local and an SPL player will easily be able to cope in the NL.

Interesting.

Not sure sustainability comes into it, more how much the owners are keen to throw money at the club to reap the rewards of the EFL. If a club with consistently top 5 attendances can’t achieve sustainability, then I’m not sure if any of the others can!

I'm hoping this Calum Butcher rumour doesn't have any legs. Horribly underwhelming if true.
I agree. Calum Butcher would appear to be a free agent after being released by Motherwell. If as I suspect Butcher - a midfielder turned defender - is meant to replace Kensdale, I believe that will be a retrograde step. Crowther needs to be given games and will make mistakes but is a player of real promise.

Let's be real, we lost 2 of our 3 best players imo and then had a massive injury outbreak.

The squad is now threadbare and I genuinely don't think we have the style of players for Kev and Co to play they way they want to and I don't believe the players coming back from injury will change that much without a slight tweak to the system.

I Said it as soon as the rumours about him leaving started ...

We NEED! a Callum Powell style player and last night was another example of that. We had no height and kept going long, we are crying out for players who can take the ball and run at the opposition to create space for our more clinical players

Let's be real, we lost 2 of our 3 best players imo and then had a massive injury outbreak.

The squad is now threadbare and I genuinely don't think we have the style of players for Kev and Co to play they way they want to and I don't believe the players coming back from injury will change that much without a slight tweak to the system.

We NEED! a Callum Powell style player and last night was another example of that. We had no height and kept going long, we are crying out for players who can take the ball and run at the opposition to create space for our more clinical players
Or possibly Kev needs to realise what we have and plays a system that suits them rather than playing the same, predictable tripe every match!

I've known Calum Butcher since he was 7 when he played in the same junior team as one of my lads, and the last time I saw him he was settled in Scotland and intended to stay there. He's been playing as a central defender for Motherwell in the SPL and hopes that switching to that position from midfield will extend his career.

He also doesn't fit the more usual target of the 3 Amigos BUT he is local and an SPL player will easily be able to cope in the NL.

Interesting.
Have you seen the standard of SPL I go and watch Rangers and the standard is awful

Unfortunately this is what another summer of turmoil gets you. We are left with a lot of targets way down the list, or not even on it.
Were we realistically in with a chance of getting them if teams like FGR and Barnet can pay double what we can? Just because they are on the board doesn’t mean we were the likely team to sign them. You only have to look at Cardwell to see that players follow the money at this level.

Were we realistically in with a chance of getting them if teams like FGR and Barnet can pay double what we can? Just because they are on the board doesn’t mean we were the likely team to sign them. You only have to look at Cardwell to see that players follow the money at this level.
Well we would of 100% had Ollie Pearce on board. He has 6 goal involvements in 9 games so far for York, so he would of likely made a decent impact for us. There were a number of others we missed out on because they couldn't wait also. But yes, we would of also lost out on some due to the package other clubs could offer.

I know that Kev isn’t the biggest fan of loans but surely that might’ve been a short term solution, there must be decent strikers or central defenders not getting games in L1 or L2. Seems we’re scraping the barrel a bit now, getting in players who aren’t even match fit. I know the well is a bit dry but it seems like a complete reverse of policy, or sheer desperation. Reminds me of that first season in this league under Brown.

We seem to have lost a bit of that “all in it together” mentality also, we need to regroup and try and channel that spirit again.

I am surprised you haven't come in for Matt Jay on loan from us (Maybe you have?) a quality midfielder/winger who can carry the ball forward and create chaces for your strikers, for some reason he is not getting a look in here despite having a decent pre season. With Read, Bishop, and Payne already in our midfield area I just don't see him getting game time unless they get injured.

Back