• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2024/25 - Time to Cook šŸ‘Øā€šŸ³

Transfer news
Effiong from Braintree....šŸ‘€šŸ‘€šŸ‘€
He's had more clubs than a groundhopper. Has he lasted at any club for longer than a season?

Could do as a stop gap for a month or too but smells of panic signing to me. 33 and if he lasts the season with us will have turned 34 in March.

He's had more clubs than a groundhopper. Has he lasted at any club for longer than a season?

Could do as a stop gap for a month or too but smells of panic signing to me. 33 and if he lasts the season with us will have turned 34 in March.
Done well for Dagenham last year, definately someone who can get goals, think its exactly what were crying out for. Experience and ability. 12 month deal would be great

Another ex Dagger!

I wouldnā€™t say heā€™s a panic signing. He may not be a long term signing but heā€™s caused us problems every time weā€™ve been up against him. His record the last few seasons has been very respectable. Iā€™d take it as a positive that heā€™s done the business for three different clubs. Thatā€™s quite rare.

Effiong and Adwarka Iā€™d be happy about for sure.

My view is he is an experienced striker at this level with a good return of goals to games played. Yes a number of Clubs under his belt but you have to factor in that one year contracts used to be very much the norm for NL clubs as players preferred to commit for one season, then look to renegotiate their existing deal or pursue a move elsewhere hopefully securing a signing on fee and increase their wages that way.
Given that he was apparently a player we were interested in before he joined Braintree even though his age doesn't match our usual 'profile' for new signings he was obviously considered a viable target for this season and if the opportunity to secure his services has presented itself then we could do a lot worse.

Braintree have

Lisbie
Akinde
Powell
Effiong

I can imagine thatā€™s a fairly expensive line up. Lisbie is the only one who has netted so far, so maybe Braintree see Effiong surplus.

Done well for Dagenham last year, definately someone who can get goals, think its exactly what were crying out for. Experience and ability. 12 month deal would be great
Agreed, though would he accept a 1 year deal? Depends what heā€™s on currently perhaps. Iā€™d certainly be happy with him signing.

Last edited:

Many said that (and worse) about MAF, he was older and turned out to be a decent signing and played well for 2 seasons.

Itā€™s not ideal, obviously weā€™d prefer someone younger with a chance to progress, but in the current circumstances Iā€™d be surprised if we could get a better option. His recent record at Daggers is impressive, if he can replicate that weā€™d all be happy.

Agreed, though would he accept a 1 year deal though? Depends what heā€™s in currently perhaps. Iā€™d certainly be happy with him signing.
Could always be a year with an option, or 18 months with an option. He's at the back end of his career and would probably rather finish it with us

Braintree have

Lisbie
Akinde
Powell
Effiong

I can imagine thatā€™s a fairly expensive line up. Lisbie is the only one who has netted so far, so maybe Braintree see Effiong surplus.
Maybe Braintree have decided Akinde and Effiong don't work together and they have their eyes on an alternative striker to Effiong.

The key question may not be Effiong's age but whether he is a dedicated professional and really looks after himself off the pitch. I think this would weigh heavily in any decision the management team made about trying to sign him. Over the years, we seen a few strikers that have continued to play effectively until their mid-thirties.

Back