• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2024/25 - Time to Cook 👨‍🍳

Transfer news
So it seems to me the following is the case.

First the EFL window closed. We lost one player and by dint of getting players tied into contracts got a reasonable fee. Losing just one player when we clearly have a few very decent players is a win. Not really appreciated as it should be.

Second the midfield is clearly strengthened having lost Wes but gained George Moncur and Keenan Forson-and significantly so.

Thirdly defensively we are probably where we were - lost Kensdale (who I always thought had too many mistakes in him) gained Gubbins- maybe now we bring one more in. Gubbins and Crowther capable of joining Taylor (superb) and Ralph (excellent) in maintaining a very strong defence.

Next up top. We had definitely strengthened by bringing in Walker- now undone by losing Cardwell. Aribim Pepple may prove a capable replacement but I suspect if we have really moved forward will depend on the new addition from the EFL who is on the verge of signing. So WIP

So if we indeed bring in the 3-4 additions muted, I think there is a real chance we will look back and say in the end this summers transfer business (belatedly) makes the playoffs more achievable and the top three not unrealistic.

I find myself, inexplicably, wallowing in a place of optimism, I apologise. I realise it is strictly verboten and fully expect a reprimand from our esteemed moderators. Anyway another gin and tonic beckons…

First the EFL window closed. We lost one player and by dint of getting players tied into contracts got a reasonable fee. Losing just one player when we clearly have a few very decent players is a win. Not really appreciated as it should be.

Second the midfield is clearly strengthened having lost Wes but gained George Moncur and Keenan Forson-and significantly so.

Thirdly defensively we are probably where we were - lost Kensdale (who I always thought had too many mistakes in him) gained Gubbins- maybe now we bring one more in. Gubbins and Crowther capable of joining Taylor (superb) and Ralph (excellent) in maintaining a very strong defence.

Next up top. We had definitely strengthened by bringing in Walker- now undone by losing Cardwell. Aribim Pepple may prove a capable replacement but I suspect if we have really moved forward will depend on the new addition from the EFL who is on the verge of signing. So WIP

So if we indeed bring in the 3-4 additions muted, I think there is a real chance we will look back and say in the end this summers transfer business (belatedly) makes the playoffs more achievable and the top three not unrealistic.

I find myself, inexplicably, wallowing in a place of optimism, I apologise. I realise it is strictly verboten and fully expect a reprimand from our esteemed moderators. Anyway another gin and tonic beckons…

I hope you are right. I’m still a bit down about the loss of cards, Kens (I agree about the mistake) and Demi. I think it’s as much about liking their characters as anything else (even if Kens has probably proved that wrong). They were part of the 12 or 13 who stuck with us when we needed it

It's a moot point, but i think we definitely need to be be better at keeping things quiet.

Last edited:

I read this and was in total agreement, upbeat but realistic. And then I arrived at the last paragraph. Why, oh why, do you think moderators, esteemed or otherwise, would consider your post worthy of a reprimand?

True about additions but both kensdale and cardwell aren't that easily replaceable as you make out.

Who is this EFL striker?

I don’t know whether or not there is an EFL striker, but I think some people have unfortunately picked up on a trolling post by a sock puppet account the other day (which has since been banned). I’m sure they were talking out of their rear, in terms of whether they actually knew any real information.

However we may well be in discussions with a striker or two who are with EFL clubs, or were last season. I’d be astonished if we weren’t. Hopefully something will materialise this week.

Appiah forson transfer is great business.

Losing cardwell - one of our
gladiators of the ron era was going to leave at some point. A shame but we move on.

Kensdale is a shame too. Good player another gladiator for us but clearly something happened and won't be around.

Pepple sounds ok. I'm concerned putting a young player like that in this team. We rely on the strikers to make something from nothing or set pieces to score. It states in the player analysis how he started scoring when the team went from 343 to 4231 in their main starting formation because the team created more opportunities and was more fluid. That's the opposite of how Maher sets up the team. I hope we the approach doesn't set him up to fail.
We put more crosses into the box last season than any other club at this level. This does not make sense.

We put more crosses into the box last season than any other club at this level. This does not make sense.
I'll try make sense for you with a few facts.

Crossing is irrelevant if you're just launching crosses into a box. Volume is irrelevant.

Crossing into the box for actual goal opportunity comes from where you cross from, the space / advantage of being ahead of the defence, how many attacking players you have in forward positions (note attacking not defensive and volume), who is crossing - there's a reason why you have attackers and defenders and their relevant strengths, strengths of the players on the box (largely we had one player that could head the ball)..

We play largely with 7 defensive players and a team playing in transitions. We don't have pace on the wings and having 5 at the back you are often limited in attacking width when breaking. We are slow in build up too often playing possession at the back before launching it forward.

I'll try make sense for you with a few facts.

Crossing is irrelevant if you're just launching crosses into a box. Volume is irrelevant.

Crossing into the box for actual goal opportunity comes from where you cross from, the space / advantage of being ahead of the defence, how many attacking players you have in forward positions (note attacking not defensive and volume), who is crossing - there's a reason why you have attackers and defenders and their relevant strengths, strengths of the players on the box (largely we had one player that could head the ball)..

We play largely with 7 defensive players and a team playing in transitions. We don't have pace on the wings and having 5 at the back you are often limited in attacking width when breaking. We are slow in build up too often playing possession at the back before launching it forward.
OK. Jack Bridge had the most assists in the league. Does that count for anything? Cardwell got 18 goals last season, a large number of which were as a result of crosses into the box. Yes, he was very decent at getting on the end of crosses and the new guy is young and probably has lots to learn, but I've seen better players than Cardwell in the air. I actually think the main things we'll miss about him are his pace and work rate.

I disagree that Jack Bridge and Gus Scott-Morriss play as out and out defenders. Bridge in particular doesn't play at the back. 7 defensive players? IMO we play with 3 at the back, not 5.

I think our tempo has been slower lately, which I would put down to confidence, and we could definitely do with more pace on the wings so I agree with that. But largely we look to control games through possession and loading players into the opposition half. We don't tend to be great in transition, but that doesn't matter as much since we control possession so well.

The issue with the first five games of this season is we have come up against several teams already that also look to control games and indeed are likely to be up and around the promotion places, so it hasn't been as easy to play the way we want to play.

There's lots of doom and gloom on here. All is not lost. We haven't become a bad team overnight.

OK. Jack Bridge had the most assists in the league. Does that count for anything? Cardwell got 18 goals last season, a large number of which were as a result of crosses into the box. Yes, he was very decent at getting on the end of crosses and the new guy is young and probably has lots to learn, but I've seen better players than Cardwell in the air. I actually think the main things we'll miss about him are his pace and work rate.

I disagree that Jack Bridge and Gus Scott-Morriss play as out and out defenders. Bridge in particular doesn't play at the back. 7 defensive players? IMO we play with 3 at the back, not 5.

I think our tempo has been slower lately, which I would put down to confidence, and we could definitely do with more pace on the wings so I agree with that. But largely we look to control games through possession and loading players into the opposition half. We don't tend to be great in transition, but that doesn't matter as much since we control possession so well.

The issue with the first five games of this season is we have come up against several teams already that also look to control games and indeed are likely to be up and around the promotion places, so it hasn't been as easy to play the way we want to play.

There's lots of doom and gloom on here. All is not lost. We haven't become a bad team overnight.
Dare I suggest not only that but we remain a good team and that the additions of Moncur and KAP will make us a better one.
Despite playing with just one up front we scored twice in our last game and easily might have had more. Two goals at home should normally be enough to secure a win and we are by no means as 'punchless' as some detractors want us to believe.
In the meantime and back on topic; the EFL transfer window is now closed and we remain in urgent need of warm bodies. Is it too much to expect at least four incoming in the next two weeks?
I await at least rumours if not outright hints from our usual early warning sources and before Wednesday!
My eyes will be glued to this thread throughout the week.
No pressure on Boy Wonder and London Shrimper etc but in the next few days I will be hanging on every word posted. Hopefully much will be resolved before our next game.

Last edited:

Spot on - the narrative that we play with "5 at the back" is absolutely nonsense. Has anyone ever seen Jack Bridge "defend"? LOL. And Gus is top scorer - so no, put the 5 at the back to bed as opinions from football fans that dont know much....

Its a clear 3 at the back - and even then one of them will usually break out and form another wide option, especially Ralph when he combined so well with Fonguck and Bridge last season.

Where I'd argue we are defensive is in midfield. We have a bunch of midfielders (until Moncur and by the sound of it Forson) who like to sit and hold as "quarterbacks" almost which leaves a big disconnect to the front players.

Too be fair, the thinking there may be because the 2 "wing backs" are very forward thinking and Ralph/Kensdale would venture forward, we probably need to be a bit more solid in the middle 3 to cover that.

But hopefully bedding in these 2 signings will help and maybe we'll see a slight change of style - like if Moncur playing behind front 2 and Forson up and down the pitch more, will see Ralph / Taylor less likely to wander forward as much.

Back