• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2024/25 - Time to Cook 👨‍🍳

Transfer news
The problem with our squad (imo) we are very very lopsided and combined with a lack of depth, it really does worry me

Gus RWB ✅
Centre backs ✅
Bridge Right footed LM ❌
Midfield... ✅ Tick on paper, with Moncur and Keenan we should see this area working well
Strikers ❌ currently only have Bim

We regularly use Wood out of position as in my eyes he's a RM but that position doesn't exist.

Right now, a 4-5-1 formation will probably suit us more

Colin
Gus Taylor crowther Ralph
Wood Husin Appiah bridge
Moncur
Bim

This imo also allows us to use our bench more effectively especially with the young lads like Faulkner. We can also push Gus forward as a winger and utilise Wind if needed

Not slagging the coaches btw, just my opinion and what I would have done
All of our build-up and patterns of play is constructed on a foundation of 3 at the back. That's what they drill every day in the training ground. 4 at the back just isn't going to happen, unless maybe an enforced tweak late in the game.

2 or 3 what? We dont need more bench fillers, squad players are so overrated ive never been a fan of them, just cause more agg behind the scenes moaning about how theyre not getting game time. A really good striker please, that'll do us now.
Just my opimion !
We need:

1) Goalkeeper as proper competition for Collin;
2) A striker to add to the one fit we have and put us back up to 4 on the books; and
3) A centre back to replace Kensdale.

No ‘bench fillers’, but proper options for starting places. If they lose out on that then they would be strong options to change the game from the bench.

Quite surprised that any of that is a surprise, if I’m honest!

2 or 3 what? We dont need more bench fillers, squad players are so overrated ive never been a fan of them, just cause more agg behind the scenes moaning about how theyre not getting game time. A really good striker please, that'll do us now.
Just my opimion !
Allowing 5 subs is a game changer, we can't afford to have a good starting XI and little else. Already we've seen teams change the flow of the match by bringing subs on, meanwhile our subs usually just make us worse. At the very least we need 2 or 3 that genuinely offer a Plan B if things aren't working.

Just my opimion !
I used to agree with that, but seeing how our opponents have used their subs this year i think the landscape has changed. Need a strong bench.

Allowing 5 subs is a game changer, we can't afford to have a good starting XI and little else. Already we've seen teams change the flow of the match by bringing subs on, meanwhile our subs usually just make us worse. At the very least we need 2 or 3 that genuinely offer a Plan B if things aren't working.
Or just fresh legs. Gubbins and Morton came on last week and made us better. The players they replaced are arguably better than them, but not with 75 minutes already in their legs. Also, some players can push themselves just a little more if they know there is a sub available when needed

We need:

2) A striker to add to the one fit we have and put us back up to 4 on the books; and

No ‘bench fillers’, but proper options for starting places. If they lose out on that then they would be strong options to change the game from the bench.

Disagree we need competition for Collin. We need a back-up. Don’t waste money paying for two number ones. If Collin gets injured for more than one match we’ll bring in a loanee anyway.

At centre back we have four starting calibre centre-halves for three positions. That’s fine. Get a fifth as back-up. Someone for the future who’s a project in the mould of Kabongolo and can be developed for next season.

Where we need options to change a game is in midfield and up front. Pepple is probably the back-up to Cardwell’s eventual replacement. That’s our priority.

I’d still like an attacking left sided midfielder, one with pace who can play LWB and LCM or left of a front three would make sense to me. That would give you tactical options off the bench. This player would feature more than reserve keeper and 5th choice centre-half. This could be a young player but they’d need to be ready to contribute from the bench.

Disagree we need competition for Collin. We need a back-up. Don’t waste money paying for two number ones. If Collin gets injured for more than one match we’ll bring in a loanee anyway.

At centre back we have four starting calibre centre-halves for three positions. That’s fine. Get a fifth as back-up. Someone for the future who’s a project in the mould of Kabongolo and can be developed for next season.

Where we need options to change a game is in midfield and up front. Pepple is probably the back-up to Cardwell’s eventual replacement. That’s our priority.

I’d still like an attacking left sided midfielder, one with pace who can play LWB and LCM or left of a front three would make sense to me. That would give you tactical options off the bench. This player would feature more than reserve keeper and 5th choice centre-half. This could be a young player but they’d need to be ready to contribute from the bench.
I agree, broadly. I didn't say we need two number 1s. I think we need someone who is at least credible to go on the pitch if Collin is out of form (and he looked a bit ropey against Daggers). That's not another number one, but it's a step up from someone we don't even have enough confidence in to give them a contract.

Are we saying we don't have confidence in Hillson or is it more that he was keeping options open in case he could get a league club?
If it’s the latter then he may well sign a contract this week and fulfil one of the three needs I reckon we have. I wouldn’t bet the farm on that one though.

If it’s the latter then he may well sign a contract this week and fulfil one of the three needs I reckon we have. I wouldn’t bet the farm on that one though.

Wouldn’t it be preferable for him to remain on non-contract terms? That way he could still join a league club after the window closes. I don’t see why he would want to limit his options.

Wouldn’t it be preferable for him to remain on non-contract terms? That way he could still join a league club after the window closes. I don’t see why he would want to limit his options.
Would that let him join a league club? I thought the EFL's rules are based on if the player was registered with another club when the window shuts, not if they have a contract. Even on non-contract terms he'll have to be registered with us to be on the bench.

Would that let him join a league club? I thought the EFL's rules are based on if the player was registered with another club when the window shuts, not if they have a contract. Even on non-contract terms he'll have to be registered with us to be on the bench.
I think so. Elvis was a free agent as he was out of contract but we still held his registration.

We need:

Agree with all three main positions and DEFINITELY need them to be first team ready. The sooner the better for these to come in.

Being greedy and worried we are potentially weak in terms of squad depth I might be tempted to add another couple of up and comers from the lower leagues. Maybe a pacy wide player and an attacking midfield option to cover for Bridge and Moncur. Or if budget is already stretched then switch that to a couple of loans where the wages are covered by parents. There is no immediate hurry for these positions to be filled…yet!

Back