• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2024/25 - Time to Cook šŸ‘Øā€šŸ³

Transfer news
What happens if both get injured? At RWB we could put Taylor or Wood there at a pinch. Whatā€™s the alternative on the left hand-side - Miley? Gubbins? Has Wind ever played there before?

Why would you not suggest Wind if GSM is injured when he plays in exactly the same position?

In an ideal world, you have two for every position. We, therefore, wouldnā€™t bring in ANOTHER LWB when we have Bridge and Ralph who could play there. Potentially, GSM or Wind could go to the left. Potentially even Morton with his left foot. You could switch and play a front three and have a Walker or a Waldron from the left.

We have options, they may not all be ideal, but we are a National League side at the end of the day.

Why would you not suggest Wind if GSM is injured when he plays in exactly the same position?

In an ideal world, you have two for every position. We, therefore, wouldnā€™t bring in ANOTHER LWB when we have Bridge and Ralph who could play there. Potentially, GSM or Wind could go to the left. Potentially even Morton with his left foot. You could switch and play a front three and have a Walker or a Waldron from the left.

We have options, they may not all be ideal, but we are a National League side at the end of the day.
It's interesting because I was listening to Barnet's manager's interview after our loss to them. He was saying how he's got two for every position but they had a lot of injuries when we played them and they needed to make signings before the game otherwise they wouldn't have been able to have a full bench. Just shows that even the favourite side struggle, their result yesterday shows that. It also shows how imperative it was for us not to lose yesterday. That's all you can try and do with such a small squad and such a short turnaround. The fact is, we have only lost one game in a really hard set of fixtures. If we do sign a couple of worthy additions and our players come back fit, we will have a really competitive side that should finish in the playoffs.

But no fees have been discussed. Pretty sure theyā€™re just poached.
We received compensation from Newcastle United for Kacey Wooster and from Hull City from Aidon Shehu, even though they were under no obligation to pay it since we no longer operate an Academy under the Elite Player Performance Plan.

that's EPPP though isn't it? literally set up so bigger clubs can take young players from smaller clubs without having to pay, or only pay a little, for them
Weā€™ve still managed to command decent fees for Academy players in the past; itā€™s all about whether thereā€™s competition amongst clubs to sign them. The EPPP sets out a mandatory figure based on a clubā€™s role in developing a player, but clubs will go higher when another club is interested.

Iā€™m asking if Wind can play LWB.

If Wind and Gus are both injured then either Wood or Taylor could fill in at RWB (Iā€™ve seen both play there before). I donā€™t see that same versatility in the squad to cover LWB and I also donā€™t see any options off the bench to freshen things up attacking wise down the left. Part of building a squad is building a bench to give you both taxtical flexibility and fresh legs. I think weā€™re currently missing that.

I appreciate we canā€™t have a massive squad. The way round this is having versatile players who can perform several roles which is why Iā€™m proposing finding someone who can also fill some other areas of need like LCM and left side of a front 3.

If I was manager Iā€™d therefore be looking for a left sided attacker to give me options to freshen things off the bench. I reckon Iā€™d easily use them 15-20 times a season. Ideally this would be a player with pace.

I seem to be in a minority although Maher seems to be thinking similarly seeing as weā€™ve been linked with Remy and Glover who could both have done that job.

We are absolutely thin at the LWB. Bridge is the squads biggest weakness in terms of being able to set up against, but great going forward. Ralph will never fulfill a full season of fixtures and Bridge cant be played everygame. Been targeted almost every game so far this season and exploited, think we need cover for sure

Think most teams figure out we like to play it wide and second half, Dagenham were sending 2/3 men out to close us down. This is where nice early pinpoint crosses like Woodā€™s yesterday count. I do see YBā€™s point it never does any harm to have back up .. Bridgey isnā€™t a natural left footer after all.
We need attacking options that can change a game and can make the difference not just bodies in to make up the numbers.

I wonder what it would have been like if we were a football league club with 4 days to go with no news? It would have all kicked off on here the closer we got to that 11pm on the 31st.

Luckily as non league our transfer window is in March, so we just have to wait and see what we can get with what budget we have left.

I am sure we will get a couple of decent loans when the transfer window closes

Iā€™m asking if Wind can play LWB.

If Wind and Gus are both injured then either Wood or Taylor could fill in at RWB (Iā€™ve seen both play there before). I donā€™t see that same versatility in the squad to cover LWB and I also donā€™t see any options off the bench to freshen things up attacking wise down the left. Part of building a squad is building a bench to give you both taxtical flexibility and fresh legs. I think weā€™re currently missing that.

I appreciate we canā€™t have a massive squad. The way round this is having versatile players who can perform several roles which is why Iā€™m proposing finding someone who can also fill some other areas of need like LCM and left side of a front 3.

If I was manager Iā€™d therefore be looking for a left sided attacker to give me options to freshen things off the bench. I reckon Iā€™d easily use them 15-20 times a season. Ideally this would be a player with pace.

I seem to be in a minority although Maher seems to be thinking similarly seeing as weā€™ve been linked with Remy and Glover who could both have done that job.

Oh I 100% agree we need more from the bench. Its not great when we only have Walker & Waldron injured, and Kensdale ill and we canā€™t fill a bench.

Even then, Coker goes off injured and our only attacking sub in Wood comes on then we are only left with Morton as a senior sub.

Miley goes off injured and we have to switch up formations (some on here said Maher canā€™t do that).

I just donā€™t think we need to worry about another player that can play LWB. It wouldnā€™t be ideal, and would affect our attacking play, but even Gubbins could slot in there, along with Morton like Iā€™ve said.

What id like is more pace. I havenā€™t seen Walker yet, but I know he ticks that box. Waldron & Cardwell have a good turn of pace too. However, in general, we are very one paced. Bridge or GSM wonā€™t beat many in a foot race on their flanks. We have next to no pace through the middle either.

Even if itā€™s a rough diamond, who is an impact sub with raw pace but needs polishing. I know Kev sees everyone he brings in as a potential starter and not signing players as cover.

Kanu & Dennis both had that pace.

Iā€™m certain we will see a loan signing or two in, even though Kev is against them. I think we will make another permanent signing or two as well.

Pacy forwards arnt much use to us, when they make a break we are still passing it to Colin ..
Ok I jest, but our problem is getting the ball forward faster than a continental shelf moves .
Early crosses are better than ones into tightly defended boxes with defenders having time to set up .
I still think midfield is the problem, no movement or players happy driving forward with the ball.
They seem to scared to lose it.. there is a trade off in there somewhere and we are on the defensive side of it

I'd like to see another Moncur type 8, our 8's have been woeful so far. Dont know if thats Kevs tactics or the players not wanting to take a chance, but they do not look up for beating a man or playing the forward pass often enough

Oh I 100% agree we need more from the bench. Its not great when we only have Walker & Waldron injured, and Kensdale ill and we canā€™t fill a bench.

Even then, Coker goes off injured and our only attacking sub in Wood comes on then we are only left with Morton as a senior sub.

Miley goes off injured and we have to switch up formations (some on here said Maher canā€™t do that).

I just donā€™t think we need to worry about another player that can play LWB. It wouldnā€™t be ideal, and would affect our attacking play, but even Gubbins could slot in there, along with Morton like Iā€™ve said.

What id like is more pace. I havenā€™t seen Walker yet, but I know he ticks that box. Waldron & Cardwell have a good turn of pace too. However, in general, we are very one paced. Bridge or GSM wonā€™t beat many in a foot race on their flanks. We have next to no pace through the middle either.

Even if itā€™s a rough diamond, who is an impact sub with raw pace but needs polishing. I know Kev sees everyone he brings in as a potential starter and not signing players as cover.

Kanu & Dennis both had that pace.

Iā€™m certain we will see a loan signing or two in, even though Kev is against them. I think we will make another permanent signing or two as well.
Personally think weā€™re crying out for another LW/LWB off the bench with some pace to stretch defenders. I know we have cover there but an attacking option off the bench and someone to give Bridge some serious competition would be nice.

I would love to know John Stills take on Chathams Jamie Yila. Started well again this season, pace to burn on the left wing, or left wing back, Good crosser, scores freely, full of tricks , takes all the pens as well, just 21 years also old defends very well winning defensive headers. Would set the place alight given the chance. Does however cop a load of yellows

Back