• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2024/25 - Time to Cook šŸ‘Øā€šŸ³

Transfer news
I notice radio silence from the ITKs - not sure what that means for the speculation around Bonne..
I think you do know what that meansā€¦

I think our main need is an alternative for Cardwell as weā€™ve no-one who can fill in for him so is he someone who can lead the line? I assume he has the play strength to do so as heā€™s played Championship but heā€™s not a player Iā€™m particularly familiar with. Iā€™m imagining someone in the style of Marc-Antoine Fortune or Aaron Cosgrave from the descriptions so far.

We also lack alternatives at left wing-back. If Bridge gets clattered and weā€™re trailing we really donā€™t want to be bringing on Gubbins as his replacement. Could Bonne play left wingback?

The other ā€œneedā€ is for players to develop for the future. Weā€™ve been linked with a lot of up and coming players from lower down (Finlay Wilkinson, Marcus Wyllie, Harvey Sayer, Josh Anifowose, Siju Ofulise etc) but so far have only added Wind for the future. I get that we have immediate needs but I really hope the future doesnā€™t become an afterthought.

I think our main need is an alternative for Cardwell as weā€™ve no-one who can fill in for him so is he someone who can lead the line? I assume he has the play strength to do so as heā€™s played Championship but heā€™s not a player Iā€™m particularly familiar with. Iā€™m imagining someone in the style of Marc-Antoine Fortune or Aaron Cosgrave from the descriptions so far.

We also lack alternatives at left wing-back. If Bridge gets clattered and weā€™re trailing we really donā€™t want to be bringing on Gubbins as his replacement. Could Bonne play left wingback?

The other ā€œneedā€ is for players to develop for the future. Weā€™ve been linked with a lot of up and coming players from lower down (Finlay Wilkinson, Marcus Wyllie, Harvey Sayer, Josh Anifowose, Siju Ofulise etc) but so far have only added Wind for the future. I get that we have immediate needs but I really hope the future doesnā€™t become an afterthought.

Cosgrave I hope not that name sends shivers down my back , also donā€™t think we do think Ralph can play there excellently if need be with either gubbins or crowther playing.

I think Ralph is cover for Jack- especially as we have another LCB option. With a small squad two players to cover each position is as far as it goes.

Agree re from lower down- generally cheaper option and no NL window so like you I hope there may be one or two for the future.

Bonne can play on the wing (but not WB)- really a CF or suited to a front three also.

Last edited:
Cosgrave I hope not that name sends shivers down my back , also donā€™t think we do think Ralph can play there excellently if need be with either gubbins or crowther playing.
As the first two games proved, Ralph can't play there excellently. We certainly don't play excellently as a team with him there. I think YB was thinking we need a player more in the mould of JB so we don't lose our attaching intent like we did in the first two games.

I don't think it's a priority right now though, a striker most certainly is top of the shopping list. Followed by an extra CAM, GK and then maybe a LWB.

If he does not cost our club a huge fee, my vote would go to Sean Adarkwa. He would provide cover and competition for Harry Cardwell where as Macauley Bonne and Kabongo Tshimanga would seem to be mainly vying for the second striking spot where Southend already have Walker and Waldron. However, I just noticed Bonne is apparently 5'11"so maybe he could be considered as cover and competition for Cardwell's striking role after all.
Depends how hard he is prepared to work when the opposition have the ball.

Iā€™d suggest that Ralph was the alternative at LWB, with Gubbins at LCB, as opposed to Gubbins being the LWB.
Absolutely, think for once, we have a genuine "2" at LWB in Ralph and Bridge. Slightly different players of course and suspect will be a bit horses for courses, if we in a trickier game, may go with Ralph now and Gubbins at LCB, but I'm pretty happy with the LWB cover.

Last season felt a bit more like Ralph _could_ play there if needed, but meant upheaval at the back to make it work. Now with Gubbins, its pretty non-impactful which way we go.

I
As the first two games proved, Ralph can't play there excellently. We certainly don't play excellently as a team with him there. I think YB was thinking we need a player more in the mould of JB so we don't lose our attaching intent like we did in the first two games.

I don't think it's a priority right now though, a striker most certainly is top of the shopping list. Followed by an extra CAM, GK and then maybe a LWB.
i disagree would obviously start jb. But think Ralph is slightly quicker and a better crosser Iā€™d take him there any day.

I

i disagree would obviously start jb. But think Ralph is slightly quicker and a better crosser Iā€™d take him there any day.
Ralph at LCB doesnā€™t just cover defensive duties he plays balls up for Bridgey and works the line, linking and overlapping with JB. I didnā€™t see evidence Gubbins can do the latter part at all, which meant we had no outlet and Ralph at LWB was therefore restricted going forward. Shame it didnā€™t work out with Brooklyn but would say we need similar as cover, maybe a young up and coming player. Not priority.

Iā€™d suggest that Ralph was the alternative at LWB, with Gubbins at LCB, as opposed to Gubbins being the LWB.
Yes, Ralph would move from LCB to LWB but the substitution would still be Gubbins for Bridge.

Thatā€™s fine if we have the lead but if we are chasing the game thatā€™s far from ideal as it makes us less attacking in two positions.

I get that we canā€™t have an unlimited squad but I really think weā€™re lacking alternatives to change the game off the bench. Maybe we go for someone who can also play wide left up top in a 3-4-3 as well as an attacking LWB. Maybe itā€™s someone who is LCM or LWB but I think we need someone on the bench who can provide some impetus down the left if it isnā€™t working for Bridge/heā€™s picked up a knock etc.

You donā€™t need just a starting XI you need a bench as well to give you tactical options. I think the right player would get 15-20 appearances a season easily.

Back