• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24

Transfer news
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jake Hyde has signed for Yeovil, alongside Rhys Murphy. I hope they have some decent backup options and haven’t committed too much to wages or their NLS campaign is going to be difficult.

I think this will give us an insight into our own potential shortcomings when it comes to player conditioning and training programs.

We have suffered so many 'crocks' over the last 5-6 years that it strikes me that maybe there is something else at play here. We've had people who have been fit until they arrive here, or leave and go on to have injury free spells elsewhere.

Perhaps we have just been really unlucky with injuries and the football gods have been getting their own back on dodgy Ron, but if they go on to feature a lot more next season with their new team then that will say it all really.

I think this will give us an insight into our own potential shortcomings when it comes to player conditioning and training programs.

We have suffered so many 'crocks' over the last 5-6 years that it strikes me that maybe there is something else at play here. We've had people who have been fit until they arrive here, or leave and go on to have injury free spells elsewhere.

Perhaps we have just been really unlucky with injuries and the football gods have been getting their own back on dodgy Ron, but if they go on to feature a lot more next season with their new team then that will say it all really.
Its not the medical staff.

It’s rather the same culture that thinks it’s a good idea to sign Nile Ranger - and not just once but twice! We shouldn’t have touched Ranger with a barge pole. We’ve been cutting corners, making bad bets.

There are countless bad bets we’ve made. Out of desperation or thinking we could get a bargain.

Hyde has been the only bad bet the current recruitment staff have made and we were backed into a corner on that one with Dalby’s departure on the eve of the season.

It’s rather the same culture that thinks it’s a good idea to sign Nile Ranger - and not just once but twice! We shouldn’t have touched Ranger with a barge pole. We’ve been cutting corners, making bad bets.

There are countless bad bets we’ve made. Out of desperation or thinking we could get a bargain.

Hyde has been the only bad bet the current recruitment staff have made and we were backed into a corner on that one with Dalby’s departure on the eve of the season.

My point wasn't directed at the medical staff per se.

More of a wider point of training routines, state of the pitches, lack of conditioning equipment or treatment facilities.

We can't have been that unlucky with injury after injury for so many years, there must be more to it than that.

More of a wider point of training routines, state of the pitches, lack of conditioning equipment or treatment facilities.

We can't have been that unlucky with injury after injury for so many years, there must be more to it than that.

Most of the longer term injured come to us with baggage/history of it (Hyde, Murphy, Ralph, Steve etc etc)? I don't think for the squad in general, we are worse off than anyone else. Collin's was a freak one off.

I heard from a very reliable source, that at least 2 players we signed failed their medicals, but the manager at the time still persuaded Ron to sign them.
No prize for guessing the manager!

Diagnosis of the injury, with Strength & conditioning could be better from what I’ve heard as well as rushing players back has contributed to our woes

I heard from a very reliable source, that at least 2 players we signed failed their medicals, but the manager at the time still persuaded Ron to sign them.
No prize for guessing the manager!
I thought players don’t fail medicals, the medical is there to give the manager the decision about the condition of a player and then enables a decision on whether they should sign the player - ie a bit like a survey on a house

We didn’t have much in the way of injuries to our defence and midfield last season. It was the keepers and forwards where we had problems.

And I dont think I was alone in pointing out at the time of signing for each of Arnold, Murphy and Hyde that they weren’t very durable.

I’m sure things could be better elsewhere (in part due to cost cutting) but the main issue has been signing players with a lot of injury wear and tear.

Diagnosis of the injury, with Strength & conditioning could be better from what I’ve heard as well as rushing players back has contributed to our woes
Teams struggling always have more injuries, or so it appears.
When a team has momentum and spirit those niggles are kept quiet and players want to play; a very exaggerated comparison but Kevin De Broyne played in Chumps despite hamstring. Would he have played in a struggling pants game/ team?.

I thought players don’t fail medicals, the medical is there to give the manager the decision about the condition of a player and then enables a decision on whether they should sign the player - ie a bit like a survey on a house
Don’t think that this is the case, at least 1 off the signings we actually paid a fee for was not fit for half the season but commanded a high wage.

It is the case, but the manager can still choose to sign the player despite a hugely negative physio report. Gary Lewin has spoken about this on Ben Foster’s podcast I believe.
Fair enough, but the economic sense in this is flawed, and the fact that we have paid good money for some players to sit on their ar*** when we were warned by a good medical team shows, IMO how bad this club has been run for some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back