• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24

Transfer news
Status
Not open for further replies.
At the shareholders meeting it was mentioned that it's likely that 3 players coming in are a striker a left sided midfielder and a defender.
For me a keeper has to be high priority.
That Left wing back slot can be covered by Ralph and Bridge.
A CM would be welcome.
Striker massive need
But seeing the overall capability and composure of Hayes for exame showed what we have isn't good enough.

Dave Martin for me had been superb the last 2 games, few class saves at Alty and his experience and commanding of his area yesterday was top class I would be happy with him and Colin until the end of the season
If Martin is wanting to still play full time then he would be an excellent number 1 for us. Would be no need to look for another keeper on that basis unless we wanted to let Collin out on loan to get some game time.

Possibly one to watch for the future. Was only signed for Concord for 4/5 weeks and has been snapped up by Chatham. Believe he was in the academy set up at Colchester and is a local lad from South Essex.

Yes he was in our academy and released with several other decent young players in May this year. https://www.cu-fc.com/news/2023/may/retained-list/

Ah, MAF. He was class. Not as convinced about Anton.
Anton was, imo, very good in his first season but injuries not been given full recovery and age caught him on the 2nd. He was also very good at getting the best out of those around him and helping others improve. I thought he might have gone in to coaching.

MAF, the consummate individual professional, own routines, food, exercise, fitness etc, BUT was he a team player off the grass and would he " tick the boxes" for the current requirements?

I also doubt either would have stuck around with no pay, no showers or minus 10 points.

Anton was, imo, very good in his first season but injuries not been given full recovery and age caught him on the 2nd. He was also very good at getting the best out of those around him and helping others improve. I thought he might have gone in to coaching.

MAF, the consummate individual professional, own routines, food, exercise, fitness etc, BUT was he a team player off the grass and would he " tick the boxes" for the current requirements?

I also doubt either would have stuck around with no pay, no showers or minus 10 points.
I don't think age caught up with him in the second season - I recall, and sure this has been mentioned many times before, that he had some personal issues that season, which didn't help

Which is a shame, as the first season he was class.

I don't think age caught up with him in the second season - I recall, and sure this has been mentioned many times before, that he had some personal issues that season, which didn't help

Which is a shame, as the first season he was class.
His mum passing had a massive impact on him, then being exiled by CP was the end unfortunately. He ended up at st Mirren for a bit and helped to keep them in the division. Thoroughly decent person away from the game too.
Now has a football academy in his name that is very good too

For me a keeper has to be high priority.
That Left wing back slot can be covered by Ralph and Bridge.
A CM would be welcome.
Striker massive need
But seeing the overall capability and composure of Hayes for exame showed what we have isn't good enough.
Collin has unreal potential and hasn’t ever let us down albeit his kicking was poor last season. I think he is exactly the sort of player we as a club needs especially if we want players that have sell on potential later down the line. I would say GK is a position we are not desperate on but we need depth on pitch to give some players a rest and also be able to bring on someone and change it up if needed.

Need to stay away from having a large squad and be smart by having players who are versatile and can cover numerous positions.

Collin has unreal potential and hasn’t ever let us down albeit his kicking was poor last season. I think he is exactly the sort of player we as a club needs especially if we want players that have sell on potential later down the line. I would say GK is a position we are not desperate on but we need depth on pitch to give some players a rest and also be able to bring on someone and change it up if needed.

Need to stay away from having a large squad and be smart by having players who are versatile and can cover numerous positions.
Agree with squad size etc.
And hopefully Colin can develop well.

Ah, MAF. He was class. Not as convinced about Anton.
Agree about MAF, a fantastic player. And I thought Anton was absolutely brilliant in his first season with us. Don't. know what happened in the summer of 2017, but IIRC he never looked like the same player the following season.

The one I believe that was very much on the radar is Josh Stokes at Aldershot. Unfortunately I think his performances in league and FA cup have now probably caught interest of league clubs.

Don’t suppose Reece Smith from Maidenhead is on our whiteboard is he? Getting a lot of attention at the moment and he looks like he could be something special. Only 21 and bags of potential.

I would like to think an offer could be for the loan keeper we had from Ipswich. Then Martin can go back to his goalkeeper coach role
No, Colin as No 1, with Martin as back up. That's all we need (we hardly ever had a keeper on the bench, when we had 5 subs - I think, but it was a long time ago 🙂).

Other areas we need additional bodies more urgently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back