• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24

Transfer news
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting times ahead if as rumoured 3 or 4 new faces come in soon. Inevitably a few of those that have battled through the difficult times will get sidelined and the coaching team will be tested in avoiding discontent affecting the obvious team spirit we’ve seen this season.

Interesting times ahead if as rumoured 3 or 4 new faces come in soon. Inevitably a few of those that have battled through the difficult times will get sidelined and the coaching team will be tested in avoiding discontent affecting the obvious team spirit we’ve seen this season.
All depends on caliber of signings.
As harsh as it sounds we have players that could do with upgrading. Kanu and wood spring to mind.
Goalkeeper is a top priority for me.
Then of course we are just desperate for squad players.
Coupled with the managing team seemingly getting good characters in....team spirit won't be a problem imo

Kevin must know who he wants or even if they are avilable But the one thing we dont want is jorney men who are in it for there last big pay packet .To many times in the past have we had this .The only one that springs to mind is the goat who scored for fun What a great player he was .

Can’t imagine that we‘ll be signing anyone permanently on a fee. Lower league gems and astute loan signings will be enough for me.

Although it’s easy to say this, in terms of their play in their respective first seasons, Anton Ferdinand and Michael Turner were both immense and made the game look easy. Sometimes I think they made it look so easy that they were under appreciated. I’m sure they weren’t planning for their legs to go the following season.

Look at Chesterfield this season. They kept the majority of the team from last season but have added a bunch of players around the 32 mark who have played in a higher league. It’s no surprise where they are.

A coach can only teach you so much from the sidelines. Imagine how much more Cardwell would learn and improve if he had to have it out with a player of Anton’s quality ever day.

I’m not for giving out 3 year deals again, but we could do with a few seasoned pros while we bed in the players from lower leagues we’re after.

The idea they have is to keep the squad we have at the moment, but bring in fresh legs, quality players that will allow us to rotate players more and give some players a break from playing every game. Some players can play every game and it doesn't affect them physically, others need a break, otherwise they become slow and knackered. Those ones are best when not playing every game. The boosting of the squad will also mean better quality subs, and cover for injuries. It's natural that new players coming in may do so well once given a chance, as to keep their place in the starting line up. We definitely need a faster striking partner for Cardwell. Woods is a work in progress. Kanu will be gone soon.

Last edited:
Just wanted to chip in a bit of balance around the young lad Kanu - for a teenager he shows huge potential IMO.

Apart from the fantastic match he had against Solihull he hasn’t looked quite as potent, but this is to be expected. After handing Solihull their rears with the four goal salvo, he is getting an awful lot more attention from opposing defenders. This has blunted his impact but it’s exactly why he’s here - to experience that in mens football and for his game to benefit from trying to evade that extra attention.

Finally what a great character he seems to have - a real credit to his parents.

As harsh as it sounds we have players that could do with upgrading. Kanu and wood spring to mind.
Coupled with the managing team seemingly getting good characters in....team spirit won't be a problem imo
Can’t ageee on Kanu and wood isn’t a striker but seems to get better as he plays hope he stays in and around the squad

We need a Jermaine Francis who is at Chelmsford, could get him for next to nothing, John still surely must have seen him play a few times.

I’m not for giving out 3 year deals again, but we could do with a few seasoned pros while we bed in the players from lower leagues we’re after.
For some a longer deal would not be bad imo, Cards, Cav, Coker, Noor, Taylor, Kensdale, Gus for example, all will be good enough for next season and hopefully the nirvana of promotions.

There was a brief interview with JS by Jeff before the game and their aim will be to get 2/3 in straight away and then in the 2nd half of the season to bring in another 3 players, but only 1 at a time and not all at once.
Yep, was just about to post that myself as I've just watched the TNT coverage.

JS made it quite clear, as did KM & to be fair to him Paul Cook before the game, that they see the core of the current batch of players as more than good enough to take us forward. It sounded like targets are in place for 3 players to be added almost immediatley the embargo lifts & another 3 over the rest of the season, probably dependant on where longer term injuries are seen to bite most.

You think we need to upgrade Kanu?

Can’t imagine that we‘ll be signing anyone permanently on a fee. Lower league gems and astute loan signings will be enough for me.

Cardwell, Husin, Kensdale, Scott-Morriss, Fonguck and even Callum Powell were all signed for undisclosed fees.

I’d very much expect this to continue to be the model going forward.

It’s what Dave Webb did when he came in with the job of cutting costs. He signed Tes Bramble (£7k), Mark Rawle (£60k) and Barrington Belgrave (£40k) for small(ish) fees - whilst offloading Alan Little’s high earners (Mark Tinkler, Scott Houghton, Martin Carruthers, Gordon Connelly). It’s cheaper to pay a fee for someone on low wages in non-league than try and match the salary of someone in L1. https://www.gazette-news.co.uk/news/5503540.soccer-webbs-fury-at-wage-bill/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back