• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24

Transfer news
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aren’t you contradicting yourself here? On the one hand you are suggesting he can get in touch with Ange at Spurs, and on the other hand knocking RM for interfering?

However, there is a lad from Spurs on the whiteboard funnily enough.
Please can it be Dante Cassanova? For no other reason than I love the name!

I know a few have mentioned Danny Rowe, ex-Chesterfield, he has signed for Macclesfield. I don’t believe him to have been on the whiteboard.

Andy Dallas at Barnsley was a key target of our before joining them . He currently on loan at Kilmarnock but only played 3 times I wonder if they will recall him back and loan him out to someone else’s in Jan and if we be interested in him on loan unlikely he will join I guess but never know once take over is completed ..

Andy Dallas at Barnsley was a key target of our before joining them . He currently on loan at Kilmarnock but only played 3 times I wonder if they will recall him back and loan him out to someone else’s in Jan and if we be interested in him on loan unlikely he will join I guess but never know once take over is completed ..

Isn’t there a rule about only being able to play for a maximum of two Clubs in a season?

Having made appearances at Barnsley & Kilmarnock, that would rule him out I believe.

Where are you going to get the cash to fund this spending spree then?
I think we've shown that it's not about buying and spending.

To be fair, the emphasis of the commentary relates to immediate needs so you're right to comment. Perhaps I should have been explicitly clear that this is where I believe we need to aim as an ideal squad position for future success.

We’d get murdered if we did that IMO. Good teams have a good balance between attacking and defensive strength. Opposition sides already target our left side as they know Bridge is better going forward than facing his own goal.

If we had that problem on both sides we’d be far too open. Tilson, Sturrock and Phil Brown used to regularly play a defensive winger in a 4-4-2 for the same reason.
Yes that's a fair point.

That said and as mentioned, man city predominately play this setup. The 2 centre mids are the balance ie John stones and a rodri drop back to form the 5 with the wide centre backs being full backs defending the box depending on the side of play. Arguably there is balance with 5 defensive players and 5 attacking players.

Normally with this sort of comment a point is made about them spending millions etc etc and having top class players... But were not playing premier league every week either!

352/532 formation when populated with too many defensive players tends to operate too deep and lacks the creativity, width, or depth of options to create goal scoring opportunities. Ie put 2 wing backs or traditional full backs, 3 centre backs and a defensive mid in that formation and there isn't balance that you allude to.

No amount of player will make the 343 work.
Think this is a bit of a sweeping statement.

It's difficult to speak about formations as we're quite fluid when transitioning further up the pitch.

3-4-3 absolutely can work though, and often has done this season when Fonguck has almost become a 3rd forward by pushing right up into the attacking left half space. Similarly last season, there were times when GSM would tuck in and act like a 3rd attacker.

Last edited:
Think this is a bit of a sweeping statement.

It's difficult to speak about formations as were quite fluid when transitioning further up the pitch.

3-4-3 absolutely can work though, and often has done this season when Fonguck has almost become a 3rd forward by pushing right up into the attacking left half space. Similarly last season, there were times when GSM would tuck in and act like a 3rd attacker.

I felt it worked well with Harrison Neal & Will Atkinson in there as the two central midfielders.

They covered huge amounts of ground, that a numerical disadvantage at times, wasn’t felt. They got through the work of two players each.

What worked very well, was our left and right centre backs often ended up on the wing, a lot like Sheffield United the last time they were in the PL. Hobson, especially, would often end up in position wide on the right.

Don’t want to go off topic too much, but with the 3-4-2-1 or 3-4-3 it would also rely on the wingers/wide forwards to track back when we’re out of possession in our low/mid-block. Whereas with our current 3-5-2, our near-side #8 (Husin, Coker, Fonguck) move wider to defend the wide spaces with our near-side wing back - whilst still leaving two CM’s and three CB’s in the middle.

It’s possible for the wide players in a 3-4-3 to drop deeper, but there’s a greater distance for them to cover so it becomes more difficult when we transition to our out-of-possession shape, or after we’ve pressed aggressively from the front and then have to drop back.

I just imagine this whiteboard being full of names with lines through them. It’s going to be a real test for the football department/JS etc.
I know the list is extensive and there were various contingency plans etc but I’ll be very impressed if we still get the required quality through the door after all the drama.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back