• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24

Transfer news
Status
Not open for further replies.
All I will say to finish the subject is I genuinely feel that if a comment I make receives a number of likes, I feel more confident that it is pretty representative of what the general fan-base feels, whereas if it gets no comment, the likelihood is other zoners either don’t agree or have no opinion on it either way.
I also like to think people who contribute to Shrimperzone are generally pretty clued up about our players’ abilities, in this case the merits (or otherwise) of Callum Powell.

I thought losing Hobson and Lopata would be the end of our good defence, but my god for an absolutely meh midfielders Taylor is head and shoulders above any other centre back probably in this division and the one above in terms of being a modern centre back, carries the ball, good speed, good in the tackle. Personally hope he stays there as he has been superb

Surprised with Diego De Girolamo, he's 28 now. Of course that isn't old but we haven't signed many players of that age under Maher. Didn't score much during his career before going to Buxton. Wikipedia claims he has 101 goals in 79 games. As other posters have stated, seems unlikely. Transfer market has him at a more likely 15 goals in 50 odd games for Buxton.

Last edited:
All I will say to finish the subject is I genuinely feel that if a comment I make receives a number of likes, I feel more confident that it is pretty representative of what the general fan-base feels, whereas if it gets no comment, the likelihood is other zoners either don’t agree or have no opinion on it either way.
I also like to think people who contribute to Shrimperzone are generally pretty clued up about our players’ abilities, in this case the merits (or otherwise) of Callum Powell.
Commendably huge numbers follow Shrimperzone quite closely. The vast majority do so without making comments or recording likes (or dislikes).
For many of those that do,it is an outlet for expressing their frustrations. And fair enough,but it does grate when this becomes over-criticism and unfair scapegoating of particular players eg Nathan Ralph because he’s been so unlucky with different injuries, Sam Mantom who lost interest,Mark Oxley and Emile Acquah—both now playing impressively at a higher level.
As for Callum Powell —the 3 Amigos usually kept him in the starting line-up and obviously realise what he brings /could bring to the team ,whilst still knowing they are not getting full value from his unorthodox talents .

Agree that we defo need a plan B and C. But it’s been refreshing since Maher came in to have a manager that sticks with a system no matter the opposition and/or recent form.

We’re such a well drilled side now that it must make it easier for new players to come in and hit the ground running.

I thought the Ipswich keeper and Daniel Kanu up front both did well on Saturday.

Thank you!

If we switched back to the 3-4-3 I personally think Bridge should stay as the left wing back, as it’s easier for him to hold the width on the left from that position instead of being positioned slightly inside. It would also give us another space to have a further attacking player in the XI.

Agree about Mooney - as I don’t see him as a touchline winger in the same mould as Bridge, as he likes to roam a bit more centrally or deeper at times.
Can't see us changing this formation.

No amount of player will make the 343 work. I think formation plays more of a role in the players and their strengths who play. Especially as you point out there is no single formation as it's based on transition phases.

I like the current formation and therefore the players picked as it's more attacking and still strong defensively.

I'd personally like to see a more attacking person like bridge on the right to balance.

I know Gus is great but I think he'd also make a good Taylor competitor at the back - making it a 3241 formation.

Therefore Less wing back more wingers (like bridge - he's never a wing back) and using the wide defenders as full backs (why Ralph and Taylor have been successful) and the 2 mids (Miley husin) to protect centrally. This also enables the strong box in midfield with 2 attacking mids like coker and a Mooney moving forward to support the striker as a 3.

It's how many city seem to be setting up these days.

Therefore for me - recruitment is depth - a left winger who can track back as cover for bridge, a back up forward for cardwell (unless kanu is that with different skills), a proper right winger who can also track back, a center mid who can be back up to husin/Miley, maybe an attacking mid (if an improvement on coker/mooney/wood/fonguck) - probably the one position we have options and depth, a fit lomas as back up to kensdale, a back up to Ralph - left sided full back/ mobile centre back and a full time keeper to challenge Colin.

Commendably huge numbers follow Shrimperzone quite closely. The vast majority do so without making comments or recording likes (or dislikes).
For many of those that do,it is an outlet for expressing their frustrations. And fair enough,but it does grate when this becomes over-criticism and unfair scapegoating of particular players eg Nathan Ralph because he’s been so unlucky with different injuries, Sam Mantom who lost interest,Mark Oxley and Emile Acquah—both now playing impressively at a higher level.
As for Callum Powell —the 3 Amigos usually kept him in the starting line-up and obviously realise what he brings /could bring to the team ,whilst still knowing they are not getting full value from his unorthodox talents .
I will remember what you said here the next time you choose to comment negatively on Dan Bentley, Jack Payne, Adam Barrett, John White or Nathan Bishop, to name but 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back