• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24

Transfer news
Status
Not open for further replies.
The 1st November is a Wednesday.

I would (like all Southend United fans) hope that the takeover is completed, the necessary documentation is supplied to the league authorities & the embargo is lifted all on the same day.
The new owners have contact with TL, and he has prepared the facsimile machine, sorted out the paper, knows where to plug it in, got the ph numer ready to dial the FA; and BT will reconnect the phone line on the 15th of December.

Hi everyone,

Here’s my latest article looking at which areas I would like us to strengthen in once the embargo is FINALLY lifted. I’ll also start looking at identifying some targets who may be able to fill these roles.

We need to remember we have a good core squad - no need for a load of signings, just some tweaks here and there. I actually reckon we could do with a couple of left-footers - we look very lop-sided when we attack.

Keeper
If David Martin can stay fit we probably don't need a keeper. If he can't, we probably do.

Defenders
If we can get Lomas and Ralph back, and if Kabongolo is OK to play at this level, again we're not badly off.

Midfielders
Coker has come good which is like a new signing in itself. We need another central midfielder for me though. I don't see Vilhete as anything other than a stop-gap.

Forwards
With Mooney out, we need a replacement who can play alongside Cardwell. Maybe Kanu is it?
If Cardwell goes we'll need a replacement for him in January too.
A left sided attacker who could play alongside Cardwell, or provide a bit of cover for Bridge would be good too.

Think someone mentioned a while back that he appears to be going faster than he actually does. Shorter legs and strides I guess.
I think cardwell is deceptively quick and I believe is one of our fastest but maybe not the quickest from a standing start. Ralph has a good turn of pace and is one of our quickest.
Maybe unintentionally ITK,but you are absolutely correct in describing Cardwell and (slightly more so) Ralph as QUICK ,and
Powell as FAST.
I’ve already conceded that we haven’t often been managing to exploit his exceptional alacrity to the full.

Hi everyone,

Here’s my latest article looking at which areas I would like us to strengthen in once the embargo is FINALLY lifted. I’ll also start looking at identifying some targets who may be able to fill these roles.

great article. i still wonder if the management team really want to play the 352 (or the 361 as you almost describe it now with Wood/Kanu/Mooney playing slightly off Cardwell) or still hearken after the 343 we were using when they first came in. it would need the signing of another midfielder with more combined No.6/No. 8 ability who are hard to come by (we previously switched to 3 midfielders to avoid getting overrun), but for me i still think we played some of our best football in the 343 with Ralph as a genuine wingback and Bridge playing in the 3 up top.

Notably, the wide attacker positions in a 343 still feel like the best fit for some of the attackers in our squad (Powell, Mooney in particular) which makes me wonder if Kev and Co still see it as an option post-embargo.

Maybe unintentionally ITK,but you are absolutely correct in describing Cardwell and (slightly more so) Ralph as QUICK ,and
Powell as FAST.
I’ve already conceded that we haven’t often been managing to exploit his exceptional alacrity to the full.
Noticed that a definition of alacrity was “a brisk and cheerful readiness to do something”. He might have the readiness but the ability to do it is lacking.

great article. i still wonder if the management team really want to play the 352 (or the 361 as you almost describe it now with Wood/Kanu/Mooney playing slightly off Cardwell) or still hearken after the 343 we were using when they first came in. it would need the signing of another midfielder with more combined No.6/No. 8 ability who are hard to come by (we previously switched to 3 midfielders to avoid getting overrun), but for me i still think we played some of our best football in the 343 with Ralph as a genuine wingback and Bridge playing in the 3 up top.

Notably, the wide attacker positions in a 343 still feel like the best fit for some of the attackers in our squad (Powell, Mooney in particular) which makes me wonder if Kev and Co still see it as an option post-embargo.
Thank you!

If we switched back to the 3-4-3 I personally think Bridge should stay as the left wing back, as it’s easier for him to hold the width on the left from that position instead of being positioned slightly inside. It would also give us another space to have a further attacking player in the XI.

Agree about Mooney - as I don’t see him as a touchline winger in the same mould as Bridge, as he likes to roam a bit more centrally or deeper at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back