• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24

Transfer news
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve been raving about Notts County since we played them away at the start of the Maher era. I thought last season they looked even better, like a top half L1 team playing in the NL, so being outclassed by them was no disgrace. It’s no surprise to see them top of L2. As impressive as they were it’s worth noting we still went toe to toe with them at Roots Hall.

I’d add Chesterfield to the list of teams who thoroughly outclassed us if we go back to Phil Brown’s last game in charge (subsequent games have been closer but they’ve looked the better side) and Stockport away - although that was hard to judge as our squad had a covid outbreak and was very low energy. Stockport were of course promoted and I see are currently second in L2. They were very ordinary when they visited Roots Hall early in the season but went on an incredible second half run - would have been interesting to see them at the Hall during that. I’d expect Chesterfield to finish top half of L2 next season.

Reckon there will be a fair few opponents who’d rank us as being a class above.
I thought we out classes then in the brillaint 2-2 draw at their place a 2 seasons ago

Hopefully without Rat (wealth of debt) Martin at the helm any prospective players won't be put off by the thought of not being paid.
I think we'll massively improve the quality available to us when they can rely on getting paid. it's even more remarkable that we've basically been relying on those who can take a chance on whether or not they actually get their money. I know I couldn't take a chance with a job where I couldn't guarantee getting paid

The footballing department have been out watching games constantly, so they’ve always been ready to strike when they’ve been allowed too.

Unfortunately, they’ve rarely been allowed to.

Across John Still & Stan Collymore, I highly doubt there is a player in the country that the Club isn’t aware about.

It’s not just been watching matches though. The footballing department carry out a lot of work behind the scenes on the players they identify. I know we don’t like the phrase, but they do a lot of “Those words are banned” on potential signings. It isn’t a coincidence that the group of players we have now are incredibly likeable, and have stuck by us. You don’t hear stories of them out causing problems, relationship issues etc etc. They do a deep down character search on players. Actually get to know them as men, not just as football players.

We’ve turned down decent players because they haven’t had the right character in the past.

They’ll speak to current and ex-coaches, current and ex-team mates, parents, wives and partners and so on, not just the player and his agent. How a proper Club does these types of things.

This. This. This.

The oft-mentioned "no dickheads" policy. Could not agree more. One bad apple and it spoils the barrel.

Lomas still seems a long way off. He is often out jogging an hour or so before kick off. Looks like he is moving at no more than 50%

Personally I wouldnt look to permanently sign many , reward those that have stuck with us , and performed over and above this season , then add a keeper and a striker . then its look at players who can give us different options , either to change the way we play to expose weaknesses the management team identify in the opposition , or to alter things in game if its not quite working . Also have a list of players we would like to loan in for a month or so as cover for injuries .

Once Ralph and Lomas are back we have the core of a very good team as it is and the spirit is the big factor this season , the last thing we want to do is disrupt that in any form

Agree, we don't need a big influx, just a few more options particularly in defence and out wide. We have a strong first-choice XI. It reminds me of the double promotion seasons when we had a small squad and a great spirit. If you can avoid too many injuries it can be a good thing.

Hopefully without Rat (wealth of debt) Martin at the helm any prospective players won't be put off by the thought of not being paid.

Once he has officially been removed from everything, it’ll open up a whole new world to the new guys.

You’ll have sponsors, local business, suppliers, agents and Clubs all willing to do business with the Club once again.

In terms of potential newbies, this will be another challenge for the management skills of our coaching team. Currently we have siege mentality within the squad and the introduction of new players will have to be done subtly because a new player who improves the side is going to dislodge a current player who has given his all. Great for us if it improves the team but tough on someone already here.

The one thing we seem to lack in the team, particularly out wide is blistering pace.

As good as bridge is, he really isn't quick.

A player who can burst past full backs would be a real benefit.
Our fastest player can outspeed most full backs but we’ve not often used him effectively and now he’s out injured anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back