• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24 (Part 2 - Back in Business. Oh no we’re not)

Transfer news
Status
Not open for further replies.
Brilliant. Stuff like this should be displayed in a museum or something when we've refurbished the ground. Fans zone with items like this up would be brilliant, such gems of our history shouldn't be hidden away. Any plans from the Trust to use them? I really love content like this .... sorry, off topic I know!
The plans are to publish them I think

One of my thoughts about the current state of gossip some of which clearly emanates from a club employee or employees. For me this is one example of the lax management under the previous regime and I expect things will tighten up. My eldest grandson is doing something that I don't understand with computers at uni and is spending his third year working for a software company. The first thing they did was not show him where he could make a cup of tea or where the toilets were it was for him to sign the ubiquitous non disclosure agreement. Breach of this will be that he will be looking for alternative opportunities as the saying goes

only a southend fan can make signings a player so laborious and gut wrenching and burdening. I am surprised you are not using the ' they are all on holiday you idiots' as the rest of the football world makes signings all around us! its football, its a fickle world I am sure signings can happen easily enough. Happy that Kev doesnt just want to make sigings for signings sake, but come on we are all frustrated that we dont have players through the door yet, after all the positive noises being made by those associated with the club. I suppose we do need to be mindful that Ron Martin does still own this club!
The Rat 🐀 factor this hangs around our club like a foul stench.
We can’t move on properly with him hanging around like the phantom of the opera.
I do believe the 🐀 element is making some signings difficult. I think we have fast forwarded to the embargo being lifted without much thought of how who put us in this position.
Although we are getting new owners, our club is tainted by the Ron Martin factor. Trust with agents will need rebuilding.
We need to stop thinking we are too big for this league. At present we are just a mid league team. We don’t have an automatic right to have first divi at the best players that come along.
Think we need to temper our expectations as to the quality of players we can attract.

Billy Best was the same - first knowledge of his signing was when the stadium announcer read out the teams! There was another at the same time as King Billy, but can’t remember.

Gary Moore from Grimsby if memory serves, but happy to be corrected. We signed and Best and Moore on about the same day. 164 appearances and 46 goals for SUFC.

We can’t move on properly with him hanging around like the phantom of the opera.
I do believe the 🐀 element is making some signings difficult. I think we have fast forwarded to the embargo being lifted without much thought of how who put us in this position.
Although we are getting new owners, our club is tainted by the Ron Martin factor. Trust with agents will need rebuilding.
We need to stop thinking we are too big for this league. At present we are just a mid league team. We don’t have an automatic right to have first divi at the best players that come along.
Think we need to temper our expectations as to the quality of players we can attract.
Interesting claims. I agree the expectation of some fans is too high and many believe we are bigger than we are but, the 'Ron Martin factor' has been a complication for years and we still signed bucket loads of players. Many of those players still said they jumped at the chance to join Southend . I would love the stats guys to add up how many signings were made under Ron. It'll be a big number and a fair few gems included.
I suspect the new consortium have obstacles to overcome and the Those words are banned will be applied. I am sure the white board had many names rubbed out as the embargo dragged on and targets went elsewhere.
I suspect, as and when, new players arrive they will be an asset to an already talented squad. The 'Ron Martin Factor' is just another move in the blame game and it will be refreshing when we all stop looking backwards.

Maybe we will be signing Waldron, but the hope is that we see Waldron as the red herring and think we're signing Dackers. In reality, Dackers is the red herring and we're signing Waldron.

Or something.
What's this about signing a red herring??? Or is it a subtle clue about finding the back of the net? Fishy if you ask me.

I think this is poor from the club even a loan striker would do for now. They have had a week now if nothing by tomorrow. New dawn failing before it’s even started

Come on, that’s just daft.

Work is ongoing, but it’s not the end of the world, or “new dawn failing before it’s even started” if we don’t get a striker in.

People are working round the clock for it to happen.

I did say one and I'm as sure as anyone on this forum. Truth is no one really knows but this club is a really leaky ship. I'm sure there are many sources. If Kevin is upset I suggest all take note.

What will we do when we can no longer blame him for everything…

Come on, that’s just daft.

Work is ongoing, but it’s not the end of the world, or “new dawn failing before it’s even started” if we don’t get a striker in.

People are working round the clock for it to happen.
This is right. TBH I think the lack of patience is because a number of us harboured hopes of a tilt at the playoffs. This, in reality, with a threadbare squad and lack of strikers needed incoming players urgently. And there was, of course, a belief that signings were lined up ready to go.

Playoffs are gone now realistically and, therefore, through the prism of building for next year things become more relaxed. I certainly wouldn’t want us giving a 3 year contract to a new striker in haste when we knew we could do a lot better by waiting..

Last edited:
Players will be signed, what currently doesn't help us is the EFL transfer window is open so maybe the players we are targeting are targets for league 2/1 clubs. Unfortunately in the football world players/agents hold out for the best deal on the table ie more money. I personally think this summer coming up will be where we do our best business. If we can bring couple in permanently and maybe loan deal by the end of January, that should see us out for the season.

On the other hand during Dave Smith's reign it was well publicised in the Echo that we were after Kevin Bird a CB from his old club Mansfield Town. Mickey Laverick an ex-Stag we already had was trying to persuade him to come down as well, but in the end he didn't make the move, the reason given was house prices and the more expensive cost of living down here.

As has been mentioned by a few on here, it is not always footballing reasons that determine a successful transfer deal being completed.
I read the 't' in 'stag' as an L. It did make me chuckle after a tough day in the office.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back