• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24 (Part 2 - Back in Business. Oh no we’re not)

Transfer news
Status
Not open for further replies.
Staggers me that even Ron in all his wisdom never invested in 2 houses near either training ground or Roots Hall for new players to "rent a room/the whole property" depending on the players situation.

Charge each player a rent and he would no doubt profit from it.

Player moves to the area hassle free, club has an appreciating asset in the house, a settled player (1 less thing to research, appreciate schools etc need finding if they have kids ) and has no ties if after a 2 year contract they move on.

Seems like a no brainer to me.
Didn’t the club own houses in the 60s for players and the manager (Ernie Shepherd near Belfairs Park)? Nobbler would know😀

James Morton: announced 8pm night before a 3pm game

Brooklyn Kabongolo: announced 13:31 the afternoon of an evening game

Nick Hayes: announced 13:15 just before a 3pm kick off.

Daniel Kanu announced 15:00 the day before a 3pm kick off.

Dave Martin and Mauro Vilhete announced 18:30 before a 19:45 kick off.

Henry Sandat announced 13:45 before a 3pm kick off.

I’d have been shocked if something was announced before now.
Back in the good old days the first you knew about a transfer was when the new signing ran onto the pitch for his debut. Clearly remember a famous game at home to Watford in 1977 when Gerry Fell and Steve Yates were introduced to us at 2.59.

Back in the good old days the first you knew about a transfer was when the new signing ran onto the pitch for his debut. Clearly remember a famous game at home to Watford in 1977 when Gerry Fell and Steve Yates were introduced to us at 2.59.

On the other hand during Dave Smith's reign it was well publicised in the Echo that we were after Kevin Bird a CB from his old club Mansfield Town. Mickey Laverick an ex-Stag we already had was trying to persuade him to come down as well, but in the end he didn't make the move, the reason given was house prices and the more expensive cost of living down here.

As has been mentioned by a few on here, it is not always footballing reasons that determine a successful transfer deal being completed.

Billy Best was the same - first knowledge of his signing was when the stadium announcer read out the teams! There was another at the same time as King Billy, but can’t remember his name!

as the rest of the football world makes signings all around us!
Who are you talking about? As far as I can see there's only been 5 arrivals to NL clubs since we signed Morton. Even in the leagues above us (where you might expect some deals to be prearranged for January) there's only been 18 signings since the window opened.

The thread is from a collection of scrapbooks which I have now donated to the Trust
Brilliant. Stuff like this should be displayed in a museum or something when we've refurbished the ground. Fans zone with items like this up would be brilliant, such gems of our history shouldn't be hidden away. Any plans from the Trust to use them? I really love content like this .... sorry, off topic I know!

Last edited:

Perhaps it was me but when Billy Paynter ran on to the pitch for the first game of the season no-one seemed to know that he had signed or who he was.

A new era that feels just like the old days. It should be exciting looking forward to the reveal of new signings but, it's becoming a borefest. At least there is a game to watch Saturday.

Perhaps it was me but when Billy Paynter ran on to the pitch for the first game of the season no-one seemed to know that he had signed or who he was.
He was announced the Friday. I was on holiday in Portugal and logged on to the internet on the hotel PC as you used to do back in t’day and got the news. Still think Billy was one that could have worked out.

Staggers me that even Ron in all his wisdom never invested in 2 houses near either training ground or Roots Hall for new players to "rent a room/the whole property" depending on the players situation.

Charge each player a rent and he would no doubt profit from it.

Player moves to the area hassle free, club has an appreciating asset in the house, a settled player (1 less thing to research, appreciate schools etc need finding if they have kids ) and has no ties if after a 2 year contract they move on.

Seems like a no brainer to me.
He almost did within the last couple of years. It was in Sutton road near the fire station. He pulled out quite late, no doubt when he decided that he'd had enough. He actually paid the vendors fees as it had got pretty much to completion. Which of course he didn't have to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back