• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24 (Part 2 - Back in Business. Oh no we’re not)

Transfer news
Status
Not open for further replies.
Or partners with their own jobs and careers. Homes that they're renting until the season, kids in school... There's a lot of hurdles at this level.
That is why it is so much easier to either find players from local lower level clubs or youngsters we can take on loan from bigger clubs - makes some of these logistics just a bit easier.

You have to remember that none of these players are going to be 'big' wage earners - and with a family, a possible relocation and current commitments might mean finding the money to even rent a room away from home can be a challenge. I know a number of the guys share flats etc, but there is a lot more to consider.

There is also the school of thought that would be we know that we have a couple of players on their way back, and we have done ok this season without bringing in more than we were allowed to - so maybe the EFL transfer window being open now and our takeover news has created a bit more of a headache and Kev just wants to bide his time and get the right player in!

That is why it is so much easier to either find players from local lower level clubs or youngsters we can take on loan from bigger clubs - makes some of these logistics just a bit easier.

You have to remember that none of these players are going to be 'big' wage earners - and with a family, a possible relocation and current commitments might mean finding the money to even rent a room away from home can be a challenge. I know a number of the guys share flats etc, but there is a lot more to consider.

There is also the school of thought that would be we know that we have a couple of players on their way back, and we have done ok this season without bringing in more than we were allowed to - so maybe the EFL transfer window being open now and our takeover news has created a bit more of a headache and Kev just wants to bide his time and get the right player in!
Actually, as I understand, they get an allowance and in most cases, they have somewhere arranged nearby.

I think I’m like most on here we we like 2 / 3 players in as cover and a final farewell from Ron just to give us a very happy new year 🥳

Staggers me that even Ron in all his wisdom never invested in 2 houses near either training ground or Roots Hall for new players to "rent a room/the whole property" depending on the players situation.

Charge each player a rent and he would no doubt profit from it.

Player moves to the area hassle free, club has an appreciating asset in the house, a settled player (1 less thing to research, appreciate schools etc need finding if they have kids ) and has no ties if after a 2 year contract they move on.

Seems like a no brainer to me.

I think we need to appreciate this post from the club. When was the last time that communication was at the stage where the club told us about potential incomings? This is clearly a change from the 'norm' of old and hopefully a sign of the new age of open communication coming our way from the club. I for one welcome this

Staggers me that even Ron in all his wisdom never invested in 2 houses near either training ground or Roots Hall for new players to "rent a room/the whole property" depending on the players situation.

Player moves to the area hassle free, club has an appreciating asset in the house, a settled player (1 less thing to research, appreciate schools etc need finding if they have kids ) and has no ties if after a 2 year contract they move on.

He did. The bottom end of Hobleythick Lane. Amongst others, Ryan Leonard and Chris Barker shared a house about four doors up from Bell Tyres.

We're just talking about people's lives and careers and the possibility of uprooting hundreds of miles. And possibly moving away from young kids and a partner. Not complex at all
only a southend fan can make signings a player so laborious and gut wrenching and burdening. I am surprised you are not using the ' they are all on holiday you idiots' as the rest of the football world makes signings all around us! its football, its a fickle world I am sure signings can happen easily enough. Happy that Kev doesnt just want to make sigings for signings sake, but come on we are all frustrated that we dont have players through the door yet, after all the positive noises being made by those associated with the club. I suppose we do need to be mindful that Ron Martin does still own this club!

I suppose its easier to knock a landlord here and there and go un noticed, not to easy to do it with a bank

Was it used any later than those 2? I assume that's in his name so not club owned?
Think it was amongst a small but of properties that he owned, rather than them being “club houses”. There were a few apartments that the likes of Bilel, JFC and Francis Laurent were in, in a large block near Grainger Road and Straker was in a house on the Martin Dawn development near the top of Lifstan Way. I’d guess they all ended up being sold to satisfy HMRC et al.

If it was such a done deal I'm a bit shocked it hasn't already been announced
James Morton: announced 8pm night before a 3pm game

Brooklyn Kabongolo: announced 13:31 the afternoon of an evening game

Nick Hayes: announced 13:15 just before a 3pm kick off.

Daniel Kanu announced 15:00 the day before a 3pm kick off.

Dave Martin and Mauro Vilhete announced 18:30 before a 19:45 kick off.

Henry Sandat announced 13:45 before a 3pm kick off.

I’d have been shocked if something was announced before now.

While I appreciate the relative complexities of getting things completed after being in the transfer wilderness for what seemed like eternity, I do struggle to understand why we haven't been able to bring in a forward on a short term deal as emergency cover. We even managed to make some of those signings while under an embargo (sorry, I said that word again)

This whole 'it has to be the right player' stuff is irrelevant when your other option is playing Vilhete up front. With all due respect any recognised striker would be an improvement in the short term until we can get in permanent signings.

Perhaps this is happening and it's just being kept under wraps for the weekend, in which case the above doesn't matter :Smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back