• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24 (Part 2 - Back in Business. Oh no we’re not)

Transfer news
Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems to me that a lot of people are basing their views on the Tom Hopper who played for Southend pre-serious injury under Chris Powell. Has anyone actually seen him play in the last 2 years?
No, but I have seen the number of one on ones/ decent chances we have absolutely trousered since Cardwell has been out of the side. The point is, a striker rarely loses his eye for the goal, so getting him on loan to fill a much needed gap isn't exactly a difficult decision, given our current plight.

He is 30 years old not 40, and could be what we need to get over a spell of very few goals needed.

There is no right or wrong about Hopper is there?

Perhaps he comes back & gets injured/has lost his way. We have all seen that with past signings haven't we? At 29(?) though Hopper has potentially many more years of playing compared with say an18 month contract or loan period.

Or ........

Like some other examples, coming to the Roots Hall dressing room provides him with the elixir & opportunities that Hopper requires (or it may be simply that we play in a style that gets the best out of him). Dropping down a division should certainly help.

I haven't seen him play but on balance I would be willing to take that gamble if we haven't got other options lined up/they don't come to fruitition.

Just a point of view of course ..........

Last edited:
In regards to Hopper, I think we should take comfort in the fact that Kev went and saw him. Let's not forget that Hopper was a Powell signing and therefore has no link to Maher. So it makes me wonder why Kev has gone to see him, who has created that link? Kev doesn't strike me as a manager that would sign a player that was signed by a former manager for the sake of it. He would go there because the players agent or the club have made him available to us, or our scout has recommended him to Maher. It would be totally different if Powell was our manager now and we just signed him because we had him before.

Having said all that, Kev may very well have gone there and not liked what he saw or a deal can't be struck. A lot of things to fall into place before this could actually be a reality.

Last edited:
I’m
I'd take anybody who can shoot with power and knows where the goal is. This shouldn't be too much to ask for in a professional footballer. Especially one that plays up front. 😀
lol have you seen some of signings over the last few seasons , even the south stand clock & the north bank scoreboard gave up the was hit so many times from some of our past striking players

Been reading plenty of comments on Tom Hopper returning. And for me most people’s opinions are not based on factual information or is based on statistics/data which can be manipulated to fit either argument of a return or not.

Tom 1st time around pre injury was a very solid L1 player. I can’t say I have seen him play since he left, so I can’t hold an opinion, nor will I base my opinion on the current data available as I do not know enough (as 99% of us on here are the same) about the situation around why he hasn’t played/scored many, could be a mountain of reasons, out of favour with manager, not manager signing (possible with Col Ewe, from their set committee set up) could be injuries. Basically there are too many variables involved to fully understand the picture wothout having the full information available.

I am sure Kev, Jon and whoever else is involved will know all about Hoppers fitness, lack of playing time, why he isn’t in the starting squad.

To put it into context, if I said to you we were looking at a player with stats of the following as a striker;

Club A 62 apps 8 goals
Club B 36 apps 5 Goals
Club C 28 apps 6 goals

What would your opinion be, not good enough, need a more prolific goal scorer?

What if that same players stats this season are 26 apps and 13 goals?

Would that change your opinion and the way you look at the stats?

**spoiler** that players stats is Will Grigg! Bet those saying no thanks to Tom would be the same saying no thanks if all they had was the stats prior to this season.

Basically it is all about context and knowing the full information.

I will back our recruitment team as they haven’t got much wrong since being here, albeit their hands being tied for 15 months has probably skewed that slightly as I am sure not every signing will work out.

Anybody looked at the Worthing players? Ollie Pearce striker and Ricky Aguiar midfield. They seem to know where the goal is. Ricky is on loan from Swindon.

Last edited:
In regards to Hopper, I think we should take comfort in the fact that Kev went and saw him. Let's not forget that Hopper was a Powell signing and therefore has no link to Maher. So it makes me wonder why Kev has gone to see him, who has created that link? Kev doesn't strike me as a manager that would sign a player that was signed by a former manager for the sake of it. He would go there because the players agent or the club have made him available to us, or our scout has recommended him to Maher. It would be totally different of Powell was out manager now and we just signed him because we had him before.

Having said all that, Kev may very well have gone there and not liked what he saw or a deal can't be struck. A lot of things to fall into place before this could actually be a reality.
It was also a home game against the Gills, so he may well have been looking at more than just one player.

I would welcome Hopper back with open arms BUT not on a short term loan and not with a recall clause - look what happened with Kanu.

If Hopper starts doing well for us then it is highly likely that Col U would want him back and we'd be back to square 1.

Trust in the Management that if they think he's worth signing and have assessed his fitness properly (not a la RM school of DD lol !!) then let's get him in asap.

There is nothing wrong with getting Hopper on loan, if he gets injured then he goes back so hardly any risk involved.

He also knows where the back of the net is and its likely would have got us 4 points from the two Barnet games if we had someone like him up front.

For me its a no brainer, especially given our current needs.

Depends on the loan. When Elliot Lee injured himself after just 20 mins in his first training session with us, we were down to pay his full wages for 3 months. Under the loan we were only pay small part of his wage but injured meant the lot.

Luckily big Sam let us off as West Ham could absorb the cost. Otherwise it would have been £60,000.

So if Hopper is injured with us it could cost more than if he was playing......I doubt anyone at Col U will do us favour

Depends on the loan. When Elliot Lee injured himself after just 20 mins in his first training session with us, we were down to pay his full wages for 3 months. Under the loan we were only pay small part of his wage but injured meant the lot.

Luckily big Sam let us off as West Ham could absorb the cost. Otherwise it would have been £60,000.

So if Hopper is injured with us it could cost more than if he was playing......I doubt anyone at Col U will do us favour
Sure, but I don't think our management team/owners are naïve enough not to have an injury clause in any loan contract as that would be so Ron the Rat to enter in such a deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back