• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24 (Part 2 - Back in Business. Oh no we’re not)

Transfer news
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was pleasantly surprised at the difference Kabongolo made after coming on at Barnet. Considering he was playing out of position, he really put himself about and made some decent runs. The problem is though, strikers are the most sought after signings for a reason. Putting the ball in the net is the most important factor in the game and he didn’t bury a very good chance that a striker might have.

For one-off games you might get away with square pegs in round holes and on another day he might have buried it. But over the course of say 10 games you’d really notice the difference so the sooner Cardwell gets fit and/or we bring in some others up top the better.

Totally agree with you BB. We would not want a sustained period with a patched up frontline, but while we are in this position, I would prefer Kabo up top with Sandat, than Vilhete, as I just think there is more chance of Kabo unsettling a Centre Back into making an error, that we might glean something from, but that's just me.

All the best to you btw :)

Totally agree with you BB. We would not want a sustained period with a patched up frontline, but while we are in this position, I would prefer Kabo up top with Sandat, than Vilhete, as I just think there is more chance of Kabo unsettling a Centre Back into making an error, that we might glean something from, but that's just me.

All the best to you btw :)
Kabo s height itself would be unsettling to a lot of defences ,plus he is good with the ball at his feet from what ive seen viewing via NL streams .. I wont get into the Hopper debate ,think i said my views on that .

He's done the same every other time he's been brought on, or moved, upfront - is it 3 or 4 times now?
Yeah that may well be the case but Barnet away was a rare match I could actually attend as I’ve got a young family. But yeah fair play to him. It’s good to have him as an option when we’re desperate. Still keen to see a signing in that department pronto though!

Not that confident on the Tom Hopper move as beneficial. Rotten injury for him , but since has lost his scoring boots and we are in desperate need of strikers. Neither do we need another Hyde ( and seek )

Just 13 goals in last 113 appearances, and is it really just 1 goal in 30 appearances for Colchester over past 2 years , that's not many appearances either. Kabalonga upfront would be a better bet if those stats are accurate

Perhaps Colchester and Proud can fill in the extra injury bits?

The key difference being Mullin scored more goals last season alone than what Hopper has in the past 11 seasons combined.

Add to that Hopper has had one season where he scored double figures (10) whereas Mullin has 9 this season and in his last 3 seasons he has scored 38, 28 and 32.

They are completely different players however but there really is no comparison to be had here.
Yes fair.

But fletcher is similar if Im not wrong. scored a hat trick in league 2 at 36 years old. Age is the comparison element here

Not that confident on the Tom Hopper move as beneficial. Rotten injury for him , but since has lost his scoring boots and we are in desperate need of strikers. Neither do we need another Hyde ( and seek )

Just 13 goals in last 113 appearances, and is it really just 1 goal in 30 appearances for Colchester over past 2 years , that's not many appearances either. Kabalonga upfront would be a better bet if those stats are accurate

Perhaps Colchester and Proud can fill in the extra injury bits?
The scouting / management team have done enough to earn our trust in these matters (if we are genuinely after him of course) but those stats are pretty damning.

That’s not a poor season being an anomaly but a consistently poor goal scoring record. That’s around a goal every 9 games for the past few seasons which is a terrible return for a striker.

There's been a few players we've been linked with of which have not enthused me a la Tom Hopper and this former Chester loanee who warmed the bench but we have to trust the management team I guess.

The lad at Chorley was the same but that appears to have died a death.

There's been a few players we've been linked with of which have not enthused me a la Tom Hopper and this former Chester loanee who warmed the bench but we have to trust the management team I guess.

The lad at Chorley was the same but that appears to have died a death.
Harry Cardwell’s only injured, I think he’s still in the land of the living.

There is nothing wrong with getting Hopper on loan, if he gets injured then he goes back so hardly any risk involved.

He also knows where the back of the net is and its likely would have got us 4 points from the two Barnet games if we had someone like him up front.

For me its a no brainer, especially given our current needs.

Absolutely spot on. We need plans a, b and c - and usually means a different type of striker rather than sticking a centre back up front.

Hopper on Loan makes sense. If it's a perm then I struggle to see the sense in it as he's 30 and wouldn't hold any sell on value.

I'd take anybody who can shoot with power and knows where the goal is. This shouldn't be too much to ask for in a professional footballer. Especially one that plays up front. 😀

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back