• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24 (Part 2 - Back in Business. Oh no we’re not)

Transfer news
Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on experience to date I’ll trust our recruitment team and process… if they want Hopper and can agree a deal both sides are happy with, I’ll take it. They may be looking for Hopper in a Demi-style role with some coaching of Cards etc. who knows? If he turns up though I’ll trust in the decision.

The Hopper debate is an interesting one. And we have no idea whether he would be in favour of a move to non-league although it is said that geographically it would suit him for other reasons. What I would be concerned about is whether he is hungry enough? We seem to want to recruit players bursting for a chance to prove themselves. Is that Tom? Only Kev would know the answer after a chat with him. Tricky one.

From what I remember about Hopper, he could certainly finish but was one of the best we have had in recent years when it goes to leading the line. His back to goal play to bring others in was phenomenal, in addition, it’s no coincidence that Humphrys and Kelman got themselves good moves after us - after working with and playing with Tom.

I fully trust Kev and the lads, they are building a squad - not a team and I’m excited to see whether this comes to fruition.

I don't suppose that, after the torrent of disgruntled comment towards ITKs, any of you would be willing stick your neck out on potential timings for signings?

Liking the Crowther rumours. If he comes in, even if we don't get a forward in, which hopefully we will this week, we will have enough cover to push Kabangolo up front for.the great presence alongside Sandat and revert.Vilhete to impact sub for Saturday?
I was pleasantly surprised at the difference Kabongolo made after coming on at Barnet. Considering he was playing out of position, he really put himself about and made some decent runs. The problem is though, strikers are the most sought after signings for a reason. Putting the ball in the net is the most important factor in the game and he didn’t bury a very good chance that a striker might have.

For one-off games you might get away with square pegs in round holes and on another day he might have buried it. But over the course of say 10 games you’d really notice the difference so the sooner Cardwell gets fit and/or we bring in some others up top the better.

Bit baffled by people worrying that Hopper will be asking for big money. If he’s not rated by Colchester fans and struggling for game time at the wrong end of League 2 with 6 months left on his contract, I think he’d be pretty keen on this move too.
Its the British disease to desperately look for problems (regrettably born of experience). But its as if sometimes we haven't get an excellent management team and recruitment set up that have proven themselves, and will have for more insight than anyone on here regarding if the player is right or the money is right.

He has 1.5 years on his contract so suggestion is loan to end of season with option to make permanent. Which would be perfect.

Its a forum so naturally people will have views, sometimes well grounded and thought through, sometimes clearly not.....

But I have good news!! Kev and the management team will not be looking to this forum for advice on if someone should be signed/is worth signing. And so it makes zero difference..

The key difference being Mullin scored more goals last season alone than what Hopper has in the past 11 seasons combined.

Add to that Hopper has had one season where he scored double figures (10) whereas Mullin has 9 this season and in his last 3 seasons he has scored 38, 28 and 32.

They are completely different players however but there really is no comparison to be had here.
Different types of player. Hopper is more like Cardwell, and holds up the ball really well, whilst being good in the air and brings others into play. And has done so at L1 level very effectively. Will still chip in with goals and the return may be a bit higher at our level.

Based on experience to date I’ll trust our recruitment team and process… if they want Hopper and can agree a deal both sides are happy with, I’ll take it. They may be looking for Hopper in a Demi-style role with some coaching of Cards etc. who knows? If he turns up though I’ll trust in the decision.
Until literally a few short days ago he was still 29..he's not at the Demi stage yet, but yes a bit of experience and nouse up top will be beneficial.

Do not ever post anything from that moron again 🤣🤣 please don't listen to anything he says it's all complete waffle or copied from others

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back