• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24 (Part 2 - Back in Business. Oh no we’re not)

Transfer news
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think adding Hops to the equation would be a wise move. He isnt as good as he was pre injuries but someone of his stature could surely get 20 goals a season given the corect service. Id say a good loan option and if it works out, a 2 year deal in the summer. But we certainly can't be having him, Dackers, Waldron and Cards!? Can we!? 😅
No reason why not

I assume young Jamie Yila ( Chatham ) is not on the whiteboard or even a greyboard ?

Chatham Town are pleased to announce the signing of Jamie Yila from Eastbourne Borough.

The 21-year old forward adds to our attacking ranks ahead of the new season and has previous history with Cray Wanderers, where he scored 12 goals for the Isthmian Premier League outfit.

Having also featured recently for National League South side, Chelmsford City, Yila is an exciting addition to the Chats squad.

Perhaps the reason Hopper hasn’t featured regularly at Colchester is because their issues have been more at the back than going forwards? No team in the bottom six in League Two has scored more goals collectively than Colchester (Grimsby have scored as many) and they've netted more than some sides in mid-table (Gillingham, Bradford, Harrogate). On the other hand, no-one in League Two has conceded more (Sutton have let in as many).

You should also factor the formation the team plays and how the manager(s) then seek to utilise a player. As some have mentioned, Joe Taylor has largely led the line for Colchester, either on his own in a 4-5-1 or with a partner in a 3-5-2 if Transfermrkt is to be believed. Taylor has scored 11 league goals and started all but one match; if he and Hopper haven’t been deemed a compatible partnership, they’re vying for one spot.

Hopper would be no stranger to the club, and there’s a sufficient body of work for the scouting and coaching team to consider. They’ll be weighing up what other options are available, cost, value to the team and dressing room, and importantly whether he has the physical capabilities now to contest a forward berth with Cardwell (and how long they expect Cardwell to be out for as well). I wouldn’t expect Hopper’s lack of starts (or those of Marcus Dackers at similarly-struggling Salford) to be a significant factor.

I think adding Hops to the equation would be a wise move. He isnt as good as he was pre injuries but someone of his stature could surely get 20 goals a season given the corect service. Id say a good loan option and if it works out, a 2 year deal in the summer. But we certainly can't be having him, Dackers, Waldron and Cards!? Can we!? 😅
Absolutely we can !

I don't think Hopper has ever been a 20 goal a season striker, that's not what his game is about. Yes he scored 9 goals for us previously and got a terrible injury but there was no guarantee he would have made that feat in that season. Previous to that and since then, he has never been close to 20 goals. If we are to sign him, it would probably be so someone can play off if him.

I'd say get a few more strikers in and give Cardwell the time to heal PROPERLY, he's been having to play without choice due to our situation which has hampered his knee, I just say let him get fix for the end of the season/next and roll on from there.

Would Colchester even negotiate with their main rivals?

We might see it that way but I highly doubt it would be viewed like that by management or chairman etc.

From what I can tell on the Colchester forum, Hopper is not highly though of by the fans.

Would Colchester even negotiate with their main rivals?
Colchester and Southend have done dozens of deals over the years in both directions, I think the only reason we might say no at present is we have just lost Joe Taylor and Samson Tovide is injured and out for around 3 months. If we sign our targets over the next few days though that situation could change. We are not rivals as such currently because we are not in the same division.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back