• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24 (Part 2 - Back in Business. Oh no we’re not)

Transfer news
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am the same as you. However, you have to question why he hasn't had game time (starts) under a few different managers now. From what we saw, he seems the perfect person you'd want in a dog fight down the bottom.

He was very similar to Cardwell, running the channels and working hard. I worry that he can't do that anymore. If he can and it's just that he has been unlucky with the management, I'd take him in a heartbeat. I guess that's why Kev went and watched him, to see if he can do what we need.
Agree entirely Hopper pre-ACL would have been amazing for this team running the channels, closing down, holding the ball up and scoring for fun. He was very Harry Cardwell and one of my favourite players of the last decade.

The trouble is so much of his value was tied up with his athleticism and injuries take their toil. If he’s no longer the athlete he was he’s not going to get there in time to pressure opponents or get away from defenders. Losing 1% is massive. It’s not getting there late for 1 in every 100 it’s getting there just that little bit too late every time. That’s almost certainly why he’s struggled at several clubs and several managers.

A long contract scares me with him, particularly as he’ll be on EFL money. Until the end of the season you can maybe take the gamble that he can fill in until Cardwell is fit again and then be used from the bench but he’s likely on a big contract so we’d likely need Col Ewe to eat some of that.

Believe it'd be a loan with a view to a permanent in the summer. His contract expires in the summer of 2025.
I guess there is a reason he hasn't been getting much game time - worth a loan to see how he gets on though. I loved Hopper when he was with us but, as already posted, it doesn't always work out well for returning players, especially strikers.

His name has cropped up a few times on here, but can confirm he is one that the club are interested in:

Again, before people panic - does not mean the Waldron deal is off. That is still alive.
Didn’t see a huge amount of him when he was with us before but always seems to be highly rated on here.

Looking at his recent history it looks like a huge risk given a huge lack of goals but Maher hasn’t made too many mistakes in his signings so far so I have faith he can see Tom adding something to the team we currently don’t have. If it’s a loan then it’s almost risk free.

If memory serves me right, when we got him last time, due to our set up/ formation, we played him as a winger / wide man?
Consequently a square peg in a round hole- set up to fail imo

Agree entirely Hopper pre-ACL would have been amazing for this team running the channels, closing down, holding the ball up and scoring for fun. He was very Harry Cardwell and one of my favourite players of the last decade.

The trouble is so much of his value was tied up with his athleticism and injuries take their toil. If he’s no longer the athlete he was he’s not going to get there in time to pressure opponents or get away from defenders. Losing 1% is massive. It’s not getting there late for 1 in every 100 it’s getting there just that little bit too late every time. That’s almost certainly why he’s struggled at several clubs and several managers.

A long contract scares me with him, particularly as he’ll be on EFL money. Until the end of the season you can maybe take the gamble that he can fill in until Cardwell is fit again and then be used from the bench but he’s likely on a big contract so we’d likely need Col Ewe to eat some of that.
Loan with a view to a permanent seems very sensible. If he proves fitness and that he can still do the business until the end of the season then he’s worth taking up the option.

People say he’s past his best but his best is L1 and we are NL. Col U have completely lost the plot so whether you can read much into his current situation who knows. But would trust Kev and co to know what they are doing on this one..

Tom Hopper of a few years ago defo love to have him but recent history of injuries seem to have affected him. Not getting game time in a **** Colchester team is puzzling if he is fit enough to be named in the squad. Would take him on loan til the end of the season but does have the feel of a Rhys Murphy/Jake Hyde signing although not sure Murphy had such a bad history of injuries. But take Hopper, send Sandat back and then sign at least one other, assuming Cardwell might back sooner rather than later and that should be ok fir this season and reevaluate in the summer

Tom Hopper of a few years ago defo love to have him but recent history of injuries seem to have affected him. Not getting game time in a **** Colchester team is puzzling if he is fit enough to be named in the squad. Would take him on loan til the end of the season but does have the feel of a Rhys Murphy/Jake Hyde signing although not sure Murphy had such a bad history of injuries. But take Hopper, send Sandat back and then sign at least one other, assuming Cardwell might back sooner rather than later and that should be ok fir this season and reevaluate in the summer
Matt Jay also can’t get in the Colchester team for some reason and can most certainly do a job in League 1 let alone a poor League 2 side

I think adding Hops to the equation would be a wise move. He isnt as good as he was pre injuries but someone of his stature could surely get 20 goals a season given the corect service. Id say a good loan option and if it works out, a 2 year deal in the summer. But we certainly can't be having him, Dackers, Waldron and Cards!? Can we!? 😅

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back