• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24 (Part 2 - Back in Business. Oh no we’re not)

Transfer news
Status
Not open for further replies.
I assume it’s because Kensdale is likely to be signed by someone higher up the pyramid
I’m not sure any of the defenders we’ve been linked with are a fit for Kensdale’s role though.

My best guess is that it’s more a replacement for Lomas who is out of contract at the end of the season but seems to still be a month away from fitness which takes us into February and our season ends in April (unless we make the playoffs). His Southend career never got going.

I also don’t know if we have plans for a B team at all. With the u23s being scrapped and the academy being gutted we’re some way off being able to play reserve games (and get players like Lomas match fit).

Indeed, it is supposed to be a happy place. I can't believe people won't give ITK-type people the benefit of the doubt. Calling everything a false rumour regardless is the type of thing that causes friction on here.
I don't understand your problem. I never said everything is a false rumour. Why are you twisting things like a politician? I just call out the ones I know to be false. Hat's off to all true rumours or whispers. I'm all for it. But if I know different to what a poster on here says, am I not allowed to say that is incorrect? For example. The consortium deal is off. I knew different, so I said the deal is still on but they have a few more hurdles and hoops to go through. But be patient, it is happening. Cav Miley is leaving. I knew different, so I said he is not leaving. From now on are we not allowed to call out a false rumour? Just let an untruth snowball? O.K. from now on, I won't say anything when a poster puts out the wrong information. I know a lot on here wanted to be informed regarding financial stuff, our future and players coming in or leaving.

Last edited:
The transfer rumours board is my favourite. Hands down. Love seeing all the different players linked and the possibility of new faces joining us, especially after 15 months without that being possible.

But it is exactly that. A rumours board. Take it all with a pinch of salt. Sure there are those considered ITK but they won’t get everything spot on. It’s impossible.

Remember Omar Mussa? Photos taken, trained with squad, ready to go…last minute he switches and moves to Dagenham. These things happen.

Just sit back, enjoy and imagine a squad of 60 players vying for the 11 spots in our favourite teams line up with the faint hope one of them becomes the next non-league superstar.

Age of squad

Collin 20 (21 in August)
Martin 38 this month

GSM 26 (27 in May)
Taylor 26 (27 in May)
Kensdale 23 (24 in April)
Ralph 31 next month
Kabongolo 20?
Demi turned 36 in Nov

Bridge 28 (29 in Sept)
Miley 28 (29 in April)
Husin 26 (27 in March)
Morton 24 (25 in March)
Fonguck 26 (27 in July)
Coker 20 (21 in March)
Vilhete 30 (31 in May)

Cardwell 27 (28 in Oct)
Powell turns 28 this month
Wood 20?

One thing Maher and Still will need to do is inject some more youth into the side. Maher made a conscious attempt to bring down the age profile when he took over but that squad is now 2 years older and the embargo has prevented us from getting the average age down.

It’s therefore noticeable that Maher’s first signing after the embargo is at least two years younger than all the established first team players apart from Kensdale. It doesn’t need to be revolution but we do need regular influxes of younger players to stop the squad going stale. Peak years tend to be around 24-27 and of the established players only Morton and Kensdale (if we can retain him) will start next season under 27. This will also affect resale value.

ps Before people start I’m not saying we should bin everyone 28 or older. It makes sense to retain Cardwell and Miley as our better performers whilst replacing weaker players like Powell and Vilhete who have likely already peaked with players approaching their peak.

His name has cropped up a few times on here, but can confirm he is one that the club are interested in:

Again, before people panic - does not mean the Waldron deal is off. That is still alive.
Do you know if that would be a loan or permanent move?

Got to say I wasn’t keen on a move for Hopper when this was first mooted a few months back as I think his best is behind him but having watched us without a forward for the last few weeks I’d snap your hand off for a loan deal for him as cover for Cardwell.

Got to say I wasn’t keen on a move for Hopper when this was first mooted a few months back as I think his best is behind him but having watched us without a forward for the last few weeks I’d snap your hand off for a loan deal for him as cover for Cardwell.
I am the same as you. However, you have to question why he hasn't had game time (starts) under a few different managers now. From what we saw, he seems the perfect person you'd want in a dog fight down the bottom.

He was very similar to Cardwell, running the channels and working hard. I worry that he can't do that anymore. If he can and it's just that he has been unlucky with the management, I'd take him in a heartbeat. I guess that's why Kev went and watched him, to see if he can do what we need.

His name has cropped up a few times on here, but can confirm he is one that the club are interested in:

Again, before people panic - does not mean the Waldron deal is off. That is still alive.

IMO worth a shout until end of the season he knows the club and in this league I think be a smart addition. But I hope we still get another striker in for extra cover as hopper injury record isn’t the best . So maybe some youngster on loan too if possible ?

Last edited:

Believe it'd be a loan with a view to a permanent in the summer. His contract expires in the summer of 2025.

Will just have to hope he’s been watched a few times. My opinion from the outside is that he did well at Lincoln and then his career has nose-dived in recent years.

I presume he’s had a few injuries in that time and we’ve had enough strikers come back over the years that have been shadows of their former selves. Eastwood and Barnard for example. If this is in addition to someone like Waldron then it might be worth a gamble as a loan though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back