• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24 (Part 2 - Back in Business. Oh no we’re not)

Transfer news
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh absolutely, but by all accounts, Gard is totally ripping trees up at Tonbridge. That's why I'm keen that he be given that chance. Ok, it is only Tonbridge (without meaning any disrespect) but he should be bursting with confidence and at pretty good fitness levels.
So was Jack Wood and he barely gets a look in here at the moment even with a small squad.

So was Jack Wood and he barely gets a look in here at the moment even with a small squad.
Totally different players. Still don't think Woody has been played to his best advantage often this season for a variety of reasons mostly due to the embargo though.

Totally different players. Still don't think Woody has been played to his best advantage often this season for a variety of reasons mostly due to the embargo though.
I highly doubt Maher will be changing formation so if the embargo has somehow affected this I dont know how it changes anything.

Re players from leagues below some players just smash it because it is their level. There is a big jump from NLN and NLS to the NL in my opinion and I think that is a key thing to remember. Look at Gard, Crowhurst and Benton to name three, They have all done very well since dropping to a lower level and playing against all/virtually all part time teams. Benton was scoring goals for fun at Aveley yet hasnt scored for Solihull since moving there. I get the sentimental view of things however as mentioned by others on her along with myself we need to be looking forward and not back. There will be better players available and we are a huge club at this level and can look to attract them especially now we have new ownership.

With respect, having good sell on options on youth team players was one thing RM was always very astute with in the past. We made mega sums of money out of Hooper over the years, and did well on Hayden and others. When our reserve team and academy were fully functioning, it was all quite profitable.

Gard and Crowhurst both good enough in my opinion.
Would love to see Jaden back, great young player i agree OBL.
Not sure he'd want to though the way he was ousted

Why do we keep discussing ex players. Most of them when they come back never do as well. As a club we should have a progressive mindset not a sentimental one. Yes Vilhete has filled in and I am sure we would all thank him for that but I wouldn’t want to see him here next season as I think we can get better than him in. Crowhurst, Gard etc are all youth products who are doing well at lower levels but most of our youth players haven’t been good enough over the years although they have often been thrown in during very tough times. As a club we need to be more like Peterborough so we can self fund ourselves better. Sign up promising players with decent potential sell on value. Look at Maidenhead for example they nearly got £8m from the sell on for Max Kilman last summer, Bromley have a youngster possibly going championship/premier league just to name a couple. We have a great core of players who run through walls and I think rather than looking to players who have previously left us we need to be looking at adding a few quality signings to push us on to the next level. I don’t mean top players from league one like Wrexham but some of the ones we have been linked with such as Waldron, Crowther etc
People will discuss ex-players as they are more familiar with them than players who haven’t played for us.

But in the case of Lewis Gard and Jaden Crowhurst they are exactly the profile of player John Still and indeed Peterborough would be searching out of a young promising player with sell on potential.

Crowhurst would certainly have been offered a deal if it hadn’t have been for the embargo (Jacob Bland is another).

Gard is flourishing in the division below us - he is 12th top scorer in the NLS and this is as a midfielder. If he hadn’t have played for us previously you’d be wetting your pants at the prospect of signing him.

Plenty of youth team products have proven to be more than good enough: Bridge, Pinnock, Acquah, Bwomono, Hutchinson, Richard Taylor etc and I suspect you didn’t rate a fair few of those. You then only have to go back to Kidderminster away when our first goal was scored by a youth team product, set up by a youth team product, our man of the match was another youth team product and then a fourth youth team product should have had a penalty to see how the best of our prospects are good enough.

People will discuss ex-players as they are more familiar with them than players who haven’t played for us.

But in the case of Lewis Gard and Jaden Crowhurst they are exactly the profile of player John Still and indeed Peterborough would be searching out of a young promising player with sell on potential.

Crowhurst would certainly have been offered a deal if it hadn’t have been for the embargo (Jacob Bland is another).

Gard is flourishing in the division below us - he is 12th top scorer in the NLS and this is as a midfielder. If he hadn’t have played for us previously you’d be wetting your pants at the prospect of signing him.

Plenty of youth team products have proven to be more than good enough: Bridge, Pinnock, Acquah, Bwomono, Hutchinson, Richard Taylor etc and I suspect you didn’t rate a fair few of those. You then only have to go back to Kidderminster away when our first goal was scored by a youth team product, set up by a youth team product, our man of the match was another youth team product and then a fourth youth team product should have had a penalty to see how the best of our prospects are good enough.
I get it I honestly do but I reckon if we signed Gard, Crowhurst etc most of the fan base would see these as a meh signing. And you are also right I didnt rate Acquah, Pinnock or Hutchinson especially when you consider at the time we were L1/L2 and they clearly werent good enough . Acquah was ridiculously lazy and so frustrating to watch.

For everyone one you have named above you could name more who have come back and not hit the same level or anywhere near it - Kiernan, Eastwood, Moussa to name a couple but its hit and miss. I would be mega disappointed if we bought 5 players in and 3 of these were ex players for example. We have new leadership, we are a club reborn and we need to move forward and try to find the new top players.

I highly doubt Maher will be changing formation so if the embargo has somehow affected this I dont know how it changes anything.

Re players from leagues below some players just smash it because it is their level. There is a big jump from NLN and NLS to the NL in my opinion and I think that is a key thing to remember. Look at Gard, Crowhurst and Benton to name three, They have all done very well since dropping to a lower level and playing against all/virtually all part time teams. Benton was scoring goals for fun at Aveley yet hasnt scored for Solihull since moving there. I get the sentimental view of things however as mentioned by others on her along with myself we need to be looking forward and not back. There will be better players available and we are a huge club at this level and can look to attract them especially now we have new ownership.
Exactly this.

We need to be mindful when picking up players from lower leagues, that the regional leagues are actually dog. You can be great down there when you're playing with confidence but not be anywhere near National league standard. Matt Rush has score 6 in 10; would we have him back? No.

Sometimes we get blinded by goal scoring records. Players are usually down there for a reason. Waldron however does look like he is on and upward tragectory. Looks strong for his size and makes chances for himself rather than just poaching.

I think we are also crying out for an experienced centre back, a real steady head to help our young back line out. Same as how Anton helped Thompson's game massively in his first season.

I get it I honestly do but I reckon if we signed Gard, Crowhurst etc most of the fan base would see these as a meh signing. And you are also right I didnt rate Acquah, Pinnock or Hutchinson especially when you consider at the time we were L1/L2 and they clearly werent good enough . Acquah was ridiculously lazy and so frustrating to watch.

For everyone one you have named above you could name more who have come back and not hit the same level or anywhere near it - Kiernan, Eastwood, Moussa to name a couple but its hit and miss. I would be mega disappointed if we bought 5 players in and 3 of these were ex players for example. We have new leadership, we are a club reborn and we need to move forward and try to find the new top players.
The difference in the the list of returning players you named is that these were all players on a downward trajectory whereas Crowhurst and Gard would be moving up based on their success at a lower level.

The best signings are often the ones who seem underwhelming at the time. People seemed underwhelmed by Corr, Eastwood, Hopper, Cardwell etc. They went onto play their best football with us. Meanwhile the list of big money signings who didn’t live up to promise far exceeds those who did.

I'd give Vilhete a contract. When you can only name five subs [which would be a luxury to us] having a player who can cover many positions is an asset.

After we signed him on dual registration I always wondered if he was waiting for us to sort out our issues like Eastham only Vilhete being out of contract or if John Still simply called in a favour.

edit: Why I wonder this is because signed for Hayes late on. He might have always been a target on that whiteboard. Not every player in a squad needs to be a prospect to make a unit. Atkinson, Prosser, White? Steady and dependable are needed too.

Last edited:
The best signings are often the ones who seem underwhelming at the time. People seemed underwhelmed by Corr, Eastwood, Hopper, Cardwell etc. They went onto play their best football with us. Meanwhile the list of big money signings who didn’t live up to promise far exceeds those who did.
I can remember, initially, being somewhat underwhelmed when Ian Benjamin was replaced by a Mr Cauliflower from Crystal Palace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back