• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24 (Part 2 - Back in Business. Oh no we’re not)

Transfer news
Status
Not open for further replies.
I watch a fair amount of NLS football and overall IMO there is a sizable gap between that division and the National League. However, if you could sign the best player from each team in the NLS then you would have a decent side. I am sure we all have faith in John Still and his network to suss out the gems.

Oh absolutely, but by all accounts, Gard is totally ripping trees up at Tonbridge. That's why I'm keen that he be given that chance. Ok, it is only Tonbridge (without meaning any disrespect) but he should be bursting with confidence and at pretty good fitness levels.
And as we all know, he's a great lad who fits in well in a dressing room and knows nearly all of the squad.

Speaking also of Jayden Crowhurst, he only left because the club couldn't offer him a contract due to the embargo. Wouldn't surprise me to see players like him return so we can finally get the "B" team going under Benno and JD.

He’s hardly played there since joining them on loan.
as already hinted, he’s going to a league two team, struggling at the bottom (reading between the lines) of @Sensei Phil post.
technically it doesnt have to be a bottom of league two team, it could be a team in NLN, NLS, NL who we have played twice already, or towards the bottom of L1 if we got promoted or someone currently in L2.

I've just caught up with all comments and I thought I'd throw my opinion out there.

Crowhurst - would've have left were it not for the embargo. It was never a question of a youth player not being good enough. The club axed the U23's to focus more on the genuine prospects and Jayden was one of them.

Benton - maybe he hasn't scored he hasn't scored since joining Solihull Moors but being in team of the weeks might suggest that he's adapting to the step up in this league and has possibly improved other areas of his game. Just speculating.

Gard - league clubs were watching him and if we were keeping a tab on him, we wouldn't be only ones.

I was sticking up for the other Sheff Utd played who was recalled. I can't even remember his name now, that's how much I know about him. But the thing is, if we've looked at him or any of these ex-players I have absolute trust that they've been brought in for good reason.

Last edited:
Players will be scouted and signed to us if they are good enough and if they fit into the profile of the club. Whether they played for us before will be totally irrelevant if they don't meet the two criterias above. If they do, then they have an equal opportunity to come to us.

However, do Gard and Crowhurst improve our starting 11? No. Do they improve our bench? Yes, as we hardly have one. Those players, if wanted, would have to decide if a place on our bench is something they'd want. I'm also sure that the scouting team have a whole host of players in mind for both the bench and starting 11 though.

As a fan, it is sometimes harder in these situations to lead with your head instead of your heart. That's why it's imperative those decisions aren't made by fans.

The same could be said about Vilhete. Yes he came in when times were tough but let's not just assume that it was one way traffic in regards to who did who a favour. Would he have been able to come to a club like Southend and play in front of 8k at 30 years old, playing for the club he did? Our perilous situation worked in his favour to try and earn an opportunity to put himself in the shop window for either us or another club. I don't think it's as simple as just giving him a contract because we 'owe' him one. We rewarded Bond for keeping us up, look how that turned out! Again, if the management team believe Vilhete deserves a contract, I'm behind it 100%, but would I be surprised if he isn't given one? No.

I'm just happy at the moment that we are all able to have differing opinions about actual signings. It's such a surreal and welcome feeling. Utb!

technically it doesnt have to be a bottom of league two team, it could be a team in NLN, NLS, NL who we have played twice already, or towards the bottom of L1 if we got promoted or someone currently in L2.
Also was said that it’s not a team in this league. No chance he goes to a NLN or NLS team.

Fair point about bottom of league 1 though, hence the “slim chance” comment. In fact thats what I think will happen - struggling league 1 team.

if you want to find put about any new signings today in the same way as you found out about the last permanent transfer deal we did then go here....

:Winking:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back