• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24 (Part 2 - Back in Business. Oh no we’re not)

Transfer news
Status
Not open for further replies.
Consortium won't shell out for players a the moment. Begrudgingly paying wages at the moment. Extracurricular expenditure is paused. Doesn't mean deals aren't agreed in principle I suppose.

Is he not a winger? We don’t play wingers?

No one has a 'winger' on their formation line up but that goes out the window as soon as the whistle blows. I never quite get fans fascination with line ups, demanding 4-4-2 etc

The aside, Jack bridge is the closest you will see to modern winger. Plays high enough, wide enough and Even defends like one.

I was asking a question….

Just because we can, doesn’t mean we will.

Having 7 subs increases the cost of everything. Travel, accommodation, pre & post match meals etc. don’t forget, teams won’t just take 18 players, they’ll have at least one in case of emergency.

I like the 7 subs, I don’t like the fact you can bring in 5 at 5 separate intervals as it stands at the moment.
Interesting debate the squad size. I agree Tilly had a small squad and by all accounts Maher also prefers that. But a small squad in the modern game with 7 spots on the bench must be at least 22/23 players? This allows for maximum flexibility. I can’t see any of the top sides next season not having larger squads on this basis.

Small squads of quality players are fine until the inevitable injury curse strikes, the modern game is so fast there are a lot more pulls and strains than there used to be. If you can afford a bigger squad and of course keep all the fringe players happy that's fine,but much of it is difficult to assess because luck plays a big part in this.

From London shrimper on X -
Looks like Barnet have won the race to sign Jermaine Francis ✍🏼

Made the NL South playoffs with Chelmsford in a great breakout season - double digits in goals & assists.

Francis was on trial at Barnet last year - just shows what a season of playing regular football can do 👏🏼

He is one of three Chelmsford players who have been linked with us at various times, the others being Luke Jenkins a defender and Charlie Ruff a goalscoring midfielder. On what I have seen of them I would rate Jenkins as the best of the three. Francis had a good season but I am not sure he would be as good at NL level. Ruff is not the most skillful player but he does score goals.

Small squads of quality players are fine until the inevitable injury curse strikes, the modern game is so fast there are a lot more pulls and strains than there used to be. If you can afford a bigger squad and of course keep all the fringe players happy that's fine,but much of it is difficult to assess because luck plays a big part in this.
I'm not sure of that. I think medical science has progressed and people are more careful of playing through minor injuries than they used to be. They know that a couple of weeks out now will save a 6 week lay off later.

Maybe it's a bit of both.

No one has a 'winger' on their formation line up but that goes out the window as soon as the whistle blows. I never quite get fans fascination with line ups, demanding 4-4-2 etc

The aside, Jack bridge is the closest you will see to modern winger. Plays high enough, wide enough and Even defends like one.
TBF to Jack the defensive side of his game has improved significantly as experience of playing WB has grown. However, I agree to begin with defensively it created "hide behind the sofa" moments not felt since I witnessed Elvis playing LB at Portsmouth. I think on this occasion bringing in a WB that is nearer the finished article at both ends of the pitch would be wise..

I hope we are all over this one. Top, local talent who’d fit in perfectly in the back three alongside Kensdale and Crowther.
One we’ve missed out on according to London Shrimper -

Blues were interested in Luke Jenkins, but hearing he's gone to Aldershot ✍🏼

Capped by England C & in NL South Team of the Season, after helping Chelmsford get 16 clean sheets.

Only 21, but a strong & athletic ball playing CB. One we've missed out on, destined to play higher ⬆️

He is one of three Chelmsford players who have been linked with us at various times, the others being Luke Jenkins a defender and Charlie Ruff a goalscoring midfielder. On what I have seen of them I would rate Jenkins as the best of the three. Francis had a good season but I am not sure he would be as good at NL level. Ruff is not the most skillful player but he does score goals.

Francis was never on the whiteboard, was only “linked” to us by people that had mentioned him. But wasn’t a target.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back