• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24 (Part 2 - Back in Business. Oh no we’re not)

Transfer news
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice to see our players being linked with moves away for the right reasons and not because they've ripped up their contracts or gone MIA etc. FWIW I think we should consider offers for Cards and Gus, firstly because we would be well within our rights to command decent size fees for them. Secondly this is probably their best chance to get an EFL move and they deserve the chance to play higher for as reward not only for their performances but Loyalty also. Thirdly it will provide a level of sustainability to footballing operation. Of course they will be hard to replace but I suspect JS will have a catalogue of replacements waiting in the wings.

Why on gods earth would either kevin or the concortium want to break up the winning squad .Yes maybe both players would comarned agood fee..But money is not everything I was lead to beleve if and when the concoatium take control .Money would not be a problem for the playing staff .

Love the question raised by @Boreham Blue Is the pull of playing in front of such support a lure to others? Is it a factor that would tip a decision. Not tinpot southchurch park grounds in front of 20 people.

Totally agree with BB and you LB.

Backed up from the chat I was lucky enough to have with a player.

Knew he was coming here, even though Barnet and Bromley had made offers, because of the club size and following.

A southern based player, so house prices wouldn't have put him off, but didn't have to move.

Same can't be said if a player was northern based and had a family as you have both quantified.

Why on gods earth would either kevin or the concortium want to break up the winning squad .Yes maybe both players would comarned agood fee..But money is not everything I was lead to beleve if and when the concoatium take control .Money would not be a problem for the playing staff .
I see it slightly differently, Tommy.

Whilst I'm sure nobody would want to lose any of the key squad members, I suspect the consortium would also benefit from sending a message to fans that they need to be realistic and that the model (i.e. finding a gem, buying them cheap, polishing them up and selling them on for a profit) remains as is. Our pockets aren't deep enough to adopt a different approach.

They'll also be acutely aware that different players will become hot property at different times and then will sometimes see their value dip a little, as potential suitors land alternative targets, for example. The key would be cashing in on the right player at the right time, whilst also ensuring we're not keeping players at the club who no longer want to be with us following interest from elsewhere.

Why on gods earth would either kevin or the concortium want to break up the winning squad .Yes maybe both players would comarned agood fee..But money is not everything I was lead to beleve if and when the concoatium take control .Money would not be a problem for the playing staff
A big part of our business model should absolutely be selling players for good profits after developing them (on the cheap) great source of income.

Its inevitable we will lose a player to a league club at some point , it proves that the business model is working and working well, im sure when we came calling for Waldron their fans were saying he should stay as hes settled and playing well but ultimately its the way it works im afraid .

both great players but i've seen enough of this league to think we could replace and not have such a detrimental affect on the team, one thing i've really enjoyed about the NL is how technically good some of the players are, surround them with like minded players like we have already and we'll be fine

FWIW if i was Cards id stay and get back into the league with us ( not discounting this COULD happen this season )

Its inevitable we will lose a player to a league club at some point , it proves that the business model is working and working well, im sure when we came calling for Waldron their fans were saying he should stay as hes settled and playing well but ultimately its the way it works im afraid .

both great players but i've seen enough of this league to think we could replace and not have such a detrimental affect on the team, one thing i've really enjoyed about the NL is how technically good some of the players are, surround them with like minded players like we have already and we'll be fine

FWIW if i was Cards id stay and get back into the league with us ( not discounting this COULD happen this season )
I agree about cards, very popular here and could cement himself as a southend legend. I imagine he's kevs first name on the teamsheet.

Money talks tho so wouldnt begrudge him if the right offer came in.

Cards is one of the heroes in this team that will always be respected to the hilt. Exeter (who were top of league 1) came sniffing around at our worst and he still remained. He could have thrown his toys out of his pram and tried his best to force a move (who could blame him?) but he didn't. He's played through injury and come back too soon, all for the shirt which he's worn with pride.

If he was to leave for a club higher up (I really hope not), I'll give him a huge saddened good luck and thanks for everything, which is the least he deserves.

Apparently no-one in the current squad is expensive in terms of the budget and if we add 3 (maybe 4) good players we could definitely be top three and challenging for the automatic spot next season. And looking at the make up of the league next season it might be a good opportunity to do so. Oldham would be the biggest threat if they got their act together.

Of course, other clubs will strengthen next year as well. So you have to invest to stand still to some degree against the better clubs. And you can't legislate 100% for what happens regarding bids for players. But if someone we don't want to lose goes for a decent fee then we need to match or even improve on what the brought with the replacement (in such a case even if a JS gem someone who can deliver now, not in the circumstance "one for the future")

I think a min 3 in is entirely reasonable given we have three loanees currently.

I can only imagine that Crowther and Woodman (if signs permanently) have been signed as we expect offers for Kensdale if we haven't already received any.

Our new 'normal' will unfortunately involve selling our better players but hopefully replacing them with suitable replacements that we can develop and then sell and continue the cycle.

We have to be sustainable as a business and unfortunately in the lower leagues this is the main way of bringing in extra income in the absence of TV and sponsorship deals.

I will be gutted when certain players leave but have trust in a sustainable business model that will keep our club safe and viable for future generations.

He already is, I suspect he'll get a move to another league club though as his wages will be fairly high for NL.
He will see out his contract or get a pay out. His next contract will see him back on regular wages for the division he’s in. Luckily for him the Hollywood money is already banked

A big part of our business model should absolutely be selling players for good profits after developing them (on the cheap) great source of income.
I think its obvious we want to follow the Brentford model as much as possible, which was to do exactly that, develop young players and sell on for a big profit. Its sad when you lose someone talanted from a solid team but its the only realistic way forward to grow the club long-term & sustainably unless you have an Oligarch owner. So yes it is entirely possible we could lose one or two over the summer but if they bring in £200k / £300k from it that can be re-invested in the squad then so be it, we go fishing again at this level or below to find the next ones.

I can only imagine that Crowther and Woodman (if signs permanently) have been signed as we expect offers for Kensdale if we haven't already received any.

Our new 'normal' will unfortunately involve selling our better players but hopefully replacing them with suitable replacements that we can develop and then sell and continue the cycle.

We have to be sustainable as a business and unfortunately in the lower leagues this is the main way of bringing in extra income in the absence of TV and sponsorship deals.

I will be gutted when certain players leave but have trust in a sustainable business model that will keep our club safe and viable for future generations.
They were signed because we need depth in defence now. Same way that we are looking to sign other defenders too. The plan will be to keep all current contracted players but there will be a contingency plan if players are sold.

That's the point of the whiteboard.

Let's not get it twisted, we are and have always mostly been a selling club.

And this isn't going to change, especially while we are in non league.

Yes there will be times when we will hold on to players at times, but if an offer comes in that works, it will be accepted.

We will be signing players as investments with the hope that they can bring short term success on the pitch

They were signed because we need depth in defence now. Same way that we are looking to sign other defenders too. The plan will be to keep all current contracted players but there will be a contingency plan if players are sold.

That's the point of the whiteboard.
Think we're pretty much saying the same.

With the possible exception of McCallum, if we sign him, then will expect much younger or less experienced signings (Waldron) to become the modus operandi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back