• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24 (Part 2 - Back in Business. Oh no we’re not)

Transfer news
Status
Not open for further replies.
where are people getting figures of 200/300/500(!)k from as estimates of transfer fees for players we might sell.

I have no knowledge but my own estimates of player values would much much lower at our current level and player ability/experience
Yea same, of course we all love Cardwell cos he's ours - but hes going to go for like 100-150k tops. We are non-league, he's hardly a youngster with potential and has never played above his level. Its a big punt for a team to take.

Best we can hope for with any sales, is a decent sell on and/or rewards on performance etc.

Think we're pretty much saying the same.

With the possible exception of McCallum, if we sign him, then will expect much younger or less experienced signings (Waldron) to become the modus operandi.
Sorry was more saying the point about Crowther/Kensdale. I don't think we would plan hypothetical bids coming in.

Yea same, of course we all love Cardwell cos he's ours - but hes going to go for like 100-150k tops. We are non-league, he's hardly a youngster with potential and has never played above his level. Its a big punt for a team to take.

Best we can hope for with any sales, is a decent sell on and/or rewards on performance etc.

He has played above this level: he was at Grimsby for a couple of seasons whilst they were in L2.

Not sure if that would add or subtract to his value though.

Sorry was more saying the point about Crowther/Kensdale. I don't think we would plan hypothetical bids coming in.
Ok, but personally suspect the whiteboard is there for exactly the reason in the event of bids.

We must ensure we have identified targets in advance of losing any of the current squad so we can recruit promptly and efficiently to cover all positions.

Ok, but personally suspect the whiteboard is there for exactly the reason in the event of bids.

We must ensure we have identified targets in advance of losing any of the current squad so we can recruit promptly and efficiently to cover all positions.
There is obviously great team spirit around the place at the moment and despite the early problems I suspect the players are enjoying the run in. I would like to think the squad will stay together for next season and be happy to give promotion a real try. All this chat about who might go takes the gloss off things.

I think its obvious we want to follow the Brentford model as much as possible, which was to do exactly that, develop young players and sell on for a big profit. Its sad when you lose someone talanted from a solid team but its the only realistic way forward to grow the club long-term & sustainably unless you have an Oligarch owner. So yes it is entirely possible we could lose one or two over the summer but if they bring in £200k / £300k from it that can be re-invested in the squad then so be it, we go fishing again at this level or below to find the next ones.
Brentford model is much more detailed than that. For a start they binned off team and looked abroad in certain regions.

I don't see how Dalby fits in with our current squad... Especially with his wages

He's a good player, but not a massive goal threat ... If he's a cheaper option, I'd rather we go for Dackers. He's i.proved so much since being with us and I can see him being a very good goal scorer in a year or 2

Dalby comes ready to go "straight from the box" as people say. That would be a key advantage.

Dackers is not for me - we all have different opinions of course.

And your comment on Dackers possibly being a very good goal scorer in a year or two is interesting. That is one of the considerations with regard to the current recruitment process with players taking time to "bed in" & gain match experience at Conference level.

That would suggest to me that we need a bigger squad to compensate; do we have the budget for that and how does that square with getting match time (e.g. Wood)? .....

............ and I want promotion next season - not a continual process of developing players who will come good in a couple of years whilst others leave (possibly).

Sorry if that sounds negative but I don't think it all adds up at the moment.

Dalby comes ready to go "straight from the box" as people say. That would be a key advantage.

Dackers is not for me - we all have different opinions of course.

And your comment on Dackers possibly being a very good goal scorer in a year or two is interesting. That is one of the considerations with regard to the current recruitment process with players taking time to "bed in" & gain match experience at Conference level.

That would suggest to me that we need a bigger squad to compensate; do we have the budget for that and how does that square with getting match time (e.g. Wood)? .....

............ and I want promotion next season - not a continual process of developing players who will come good in a couple of years whilst others leave (possibly).

Sorry if that sounds negative but I don't think it all adds up at the moment.
I wouldn't agree that he's ready to go straight from the box ... The lad isn't the goalscorer his wages might suggest.

I can only imagine that Crowther and Woodman (if signs permanently) have been signed as we expect offers for Kensdale if we haven't already received any.

Our new 'normal' will unfortunately involve selling our better players but hopefully replacing them with suitable replacements that we can develop and then sell and continue the cycle.

We have to be sustainable as a business and unfortunately in the lower leagues this is the main way of bringing in extra income in the absence of TV and sponsorship deals.

I will be gutted when certain players leave but have trust in a sustainable business model that will keep our club safe and viable for future generations.

This will almost certainly be the model we follow, but for this to be sustainable you need to be in the EFL for this to work.

While we are stuck in the NL, we have significantly reduced income from internal and external sources, as well as the lack of funding for an academy, from where a lot of the new prospects will emerge.

If you are selling some of your better players, trying to replace them without spending much money, while trying to gain promotion from a league with 1 automatic spot, that is not going to end well.

We may need to bite the bullet for a year or two until hopefully we get back where we belong and then we can use the new model to build upon for a future push up the leagues.

This will almost certainly be the model we follow, but for this to be sustainable you need to be in the EFL for this to work.

While we are stuck in the NL, we have significantly reduced income from internal and external sources, as well as the lack of funding for an academy, from where a lot of the new prospects will emerge.

If you are selling some of your better players, trying to replace them without spending much money, while trying to gain promotion from a league with 1 automatic spot, that is not going to end well.

We may need to bite the bullet for a year or two until hopefully we get back where we belong and then we can use the new model to build upon for a future push up the leagues.
I know it is old cliche but every player will have his price. In an ideal world we will keep everyone, but I wouldn't want the Club to stand in any players way if the right opportunity came along to better themselves. We have at least 3 players who at some point will be in demand, Collin, Ollie Kensdale and Harry C. I hope the Squad will remain the same, with just a few additions to provide extra depth.

I am sure The Consortium will want to get the Club back to the EFL as soon as possible, so we will just have to trust them to make the right decisions and I am sure they will.

To those in the know.... As the season is closing.. any real gossip about players we are interested in? Agents contacted?

Contact has been made with players we are interested in.

Don’t forget the rule that seems to be in place in the National League, that if we are signing a player who has been “released” from another National League Club, we have to wait for them to appear on the official retain/release list. Rhys Murphy signed a deal with us almost three weeks before it was announced due to this ruling.

I wouldn't agree that he's ready to go straight from the box ... The lad isn't the goalscorer his wages might suggest.
He got 10 in a terrible team before, but it is true that he isn't what you'd call an out and out goalscorer. All round forward player, as you need in the modern day and the style of football we play - certainly. He'd be an incredible addition, especially given he will be coming into the peak of his career.

Wishful thinking though I suspect. That ship has sailed. The sustainable way and the way our recruitment works is to find the next gem from below.

Contact has been made with players we are interested in.

Don’t forget the rule that seems to be in place in the National League, that if we are signing a player who has been “released” from another National League Club, we have to wait for them to appear on the official retain/release list. Rhys Murphy signed a deal with us almost three weeks before it was announced due to this ruling.
Assuming you are party to the names of some of the players we have made contact with, overall thoughts on the quality of those from your perspective?

Excited?

Last edited:
What happens to the "White Board" list of new players, if, if, if we were to gain promotion to the EFL. Would the current names alter to allow for League football?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back