• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24 (Part 2 - Back in Business. Oh no we’re not)

Transfer news
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m surprised you choose Kensdale or Cardwell.

If the right offer came in I’d snap their hands off for Cardwell. As much as he is a great striker for us, his injury record worries me. He could be fine but he hasn’t managed a full uninterrupted season with us. And we have proven in certain games like Solihull at home we can win 5-0 and he doesn’t score.

Kensdale before the forearm smash to the face hadn’t missed a single minute, he is an excellent player and I get we have replacements but I feel he is pivotal to our defence.

Nor has Kensdale, who you’ve highlighted, or Collin who others have highlighted.

In fact, the list @Tommy2holes highlighted of people who will attract interest have all suffered injuries…

It be shame to see some of this squad go one day but as long as we stand firm and get what we want for them they can go for right price of course .
I have full faith in still and he’s army to get in solid replacements that’s for sure . As long as we don’t see to many go as we have a strong core of the squad for sure and if we can keep our key assets we could be a real force for next season for sure .

He left after we won the L2 playoff final- that summer I thought? So he was playing in L2?

@kentblues Daniel Bentley signed for Brentford on 1st July 2016.

The playoff final was at the end of the 2014/15 season. He played for us in the 2015/16 season (League 1) making a total of 48 first team appearances before being sold for an initial fee of £1.1m the fee rising if he made a certain number of appearances.

Unfortunately keepers don't command the fees strikers do but I'd take a top league 1 or championship side paying 200k with a sell on and a season long loan back
It can go nuts over a keeper though. Paolo Gazaniger went from Gillingham to Prem Southampton for a record £2.5m , ( season 2012-3 ), and I rate Colin higher. However times and fashion change rapidly

You can see that the consortium will want to be sensible on expenditure. The positive is that we already have a playoff team (before the deduction) and should be better next year with a pre-season, sensible sized squad and Morton, Waldron and Crowther benefiting from being full time for a while. In theory I think the only player who might go backwards is Demi but he’s been defying the rules for years! The question will be will that improvement be enough to get to 2 or 3 or up to 1? The task could be simply aim to replace any sale and loanee with a slight improvement. I still think we would punch above others paying the same salary due to playing in front of the size of our crowds.

The only curve ball might be that I think there is unlikely to be the Wrexham, Notts or Chesterfield type next year (Oldham might argue) and will the lure of a gamble be there? I suspect the new team will resist.

Love the question raised by @Boreham Blue Is the pull of playing in front of such support a lure to others? Is it a factor that would tip a decision. Not tinpot southchurch park grounds in front of 20 people.
Mooney being an example of a recent disappointment, while others blossomed and created a bond between the fans and the team that we haven't had for along time. It's a proper big club at this level and we should use it. I've spoken to the players on this very topic, they feel it 💯

Love the question raised by @Boreham Blue Is the pull of playing in front of such support a lure to others? Is it a factor that would tip a decision. Not tinpot southchurch park grounds in front of 20 people.
Mooney being an example of a recent disappointment, while others blossomed and created a bond between the fans and the team that we haven't had for along time. It's a proper big club at this level and we should use it. I've spoken to the players on this very topic, they feel it 💯

Definitely but counter that with the cost of living in our area.

Depends where the player is coming from.

If it's up north for the same wage or only a slight difference, effectively it will be a wage cut.

If it's up north for the same wage or only a slight difference, effectively it will be a wage cut.
Agree with this, bills to pay on not great money

We're close to 10 years since our last proper promotion qualifying squad, and yes we've run it close (imagine going up with Brown's squad in 16/17, imagine going up with last season's squad...) long story short, would have been bad news.

We're in desperate need of strength of even reaching Bromley's heights this season. At _very_ most right now we've got 3rd best squad in the NL squad.

I won't say we can't do better but honestly I'll just be grateful to keep whom we already have, make improvements where the budget allows, and perhaps hope some of John Still Gems™ make up for our profligacies up front and in the midfield.

Realistically, what more may we ask?

basically all we really need next season is another striker or two to help Cardwell and the new lad so they can have a rest occasionally ,also a playmaker attacking midfielder, even though im still of the belief Coker can be that man in time ,even Wood, cover for RWB even though Demi has been excellent again ,but time catches up .Demi would be a great addition to the management side ,in helping in training not just the seniors but u19s etc .Wealth of experience to pass on as is our GK2 to Colin .our defence is fine we have understudy there ,maybe another left sided CD ,allowing Ralph to fill in for Bridge if the need be.

I think that is a factor, however the average age of the players we’re signing might make it less of a factor than, say, a Phil Brown signing.

A 23 year old lad is more likely to be a bit more foot-loose and fancy-free - happy to share a house/flat with other players etc. compared to a 32 year old who may have a partner and kids when buying a family home in Essex will be a lot more expensive than in Oldham

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back