• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24 (Part 2 - Back in Business. Oh no we’re not)

Transfer news
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here’s a scout report on a player who I’m a big fan of: Ebbsfleet United central-midfielder Toby Edser.

🔹 Technical, physical, tactical and mental attributes assessed
🔹 How he could fit into Southend United’s system

http://shrimperstats.data.blog/2024/04/09/toby-edser-scout-report/
Great read as always , question to yourself , with him being a left sided midfielder of the triangle , who would you have picked if you had the choice , him or Morton.

To me they sound fairly similar in their pass completion, technical ability and height

As much as it would be gutting losing our top players - part of our survival model is finding hidden gems and selling them on for good money. Hopefully with the stability of the consortium having full control ... We can actually hold out for really good money and not selling on the cheap to pay off infinite debts we've accrued. There is no point selling cardwell for 50k - we'd be better off keeping him and pushing for promotion. But getting offers of 300k + for our top players and replacing with John Still gems is finally a sustainable model.

As much as it would be gutting losing our top players - part of our survival model is finding hidden gems and selling them on for good money. Hopefully with the stability of the consortium having full control ... We can actually hold out for really good money and not selling on the cheap to pay off infinite debts we've accrued. There is no point selling cardwell for 50k - we'd be better off keeping him and pushing for promotion. But getting offers of 300k + for our top players and replacing with John Still gems is finally a sustainable model.

I'm not sure that part is sustainable long term

Great read as always , question to yourself , with him being a left sided midfielder of the triangle , who would you have picked if you had the choice , him or Morton.

To me they sound fairly similar in their pass completion, technical ability and height
Thank you!

I think they’re different types of players tbh.

Morton allows us to play a high volume of passes, which allows us to exert control on matches for long spells.

Although Edser is accurate with his passes, too, he likes to drop deeper to assist the build-up, rather than already occupying the deeper space to begin with. Edser, I think, would also offer more in the final-third; he seems to be a very well-rounded #8.

If we had both in our squad, whoever would be selected would be dependant on the opposition, imo.

Cardwell is a 20 goal a season full-time 5th tier player at a good age. I'd say at todays prices that has to put him at around £75k / £100k with a decent sell-on. I think some of the L2 clubs with a bit of money would not be put off by that sort of price. Whether thats acceptable to us I'm not so sure. I certainly hope we don't have to sell.

Reactions: jnl
£250k plus and I think we have to look at that for Cardwell. He is a very very good player at this level and I do think he has attributes to do well in league 2 or 1 - a 10 plus goal a season player at that level, but he is made of glass and I do have faith we have a team in place for him to be replaced.

The ones I expect to have offers for in the summer will be Collin, Kensdale, Taylor, Bridge, Gus and Cards. Luckily they are all tied down so we can dictate the price a bit more

No chance in my eyes.
One season of a reasonable return, interspersed with injuries (a worry for any buying team) doesn’t, again in my opinion, generate that figure.

50-100 with some add ons would be far more reasonable. And for that money, I wouldn’t sell him.
If the fact that he has had only one season of reasonable return and a bit of history with injury are so important, then why are clubs in L1 looking at him? If what you're saying holds, then there will be plenty of other strikers with better scoring records and injury records, and who are therefore less of a risk, who clubs like that could look to sign.

So, let's see how much they want him.

It is (or should be) as much about how much a player is worth to the selling club, as it is about how much a buying club is willing to pay.

So far, the only indication of other club interest is via The Football Insider. Has anyone heard anything from within the Club yet?

If the fact that he has had only one season of reasonable return and a bit of history with injury are so important, then why are clubs in L1 looking at him? If what you're saying holds, then there will be plenty of other strikers with better scoring records and injury records, and who are therefore less of a risk, who clubs like that could look to sign.

So, let's see how much they want him.

It is (or should be) as much about how much a player is worth to the selling club, as it is about how much a buying club is willing to pay.
The interested club will also factor in the conditions/circumstances the player has been in. His injuries may have partly been down to a lack of a proper physio department, adequate training facilities and the fact he had to play through injuries or come back too soon because we had no one else. We can't underestimate what some of these players have had to do with what's going on at the club. 100k for a player of Cardwell's ability is peanuts to some clubs. Charlton have Conor Whickham on their bench. God knows what wages he's on and his injury record is abysmal!

Given the reduction in team budget next season it seems a couple of sales will be needed to supplement it.
Kensdale and Cardwell being the truly sellable assests on the team.
If we had to sell one I'd reluctantly sell kensdale and hang on to cardwell.
Shock sale of Bridge?
However we have the core of a decent squad that only needs a little adding too.
A true attacking midfielder is a must.
A striker.
And obviously a replacement for any sales.
RWB cover would be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back