• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24 (Part 2 - Back in Business. Oh no we’re not)

Transfer news
Status
Not open for further replies.
Paul McCallum and Nick Haughton would be high on my shopping list if I were in charge.

Two experienced players, one an out and out #9 and the other a slightly deeper laying #10. Both score goals for fun and in bang average teams.

Two positions we need to fill before any other in my opinion.

Would these two be targets for Kev and would they fit in the consortiums budget for next season?
Yes that word budget. I think if it’s a bang average playing budget, I think we will struggle to attract the type of players who we need.
But I kinda feel we will have and wait and see this close season.

Given that so many of the current bunch now have contracts through to 2026 it would seem there is going to be room for four or five out and four or five in this summer ? If we get those wrong and don't get out next year we'll be pretty much stuck with a squad that won't get out the year after either. Crucial recruitment coming up. We're a play off team just about now so fingers crossed for a step up in quality.

It’s quite simple … embargo lifted the players coming in have been poor? It’s really not rocket science….👍🏻
Let's not forget that a) the vast majority of our primary targets in key positions had gone by the time we were able to sign anyone, and those that were still left and that we signed will take a little while to get up to speed with full time football and to fit in, b) that the Consortium wasn't yet in full control and so possibly not in a position to commit a lot of money to transfers.

I think we were also in a delicate position with the players that were already here, who were probably mentally and physically exhausted, but had run through brick walls for their manager and club, and built up a great team spirit between them. I imagine this made the football department even more cautious about the characters that they were bringing in, ensuring that they didn't destroy that delicate balance and squad morale at a point where relegation was still a real possibility, and that they showed loyalty to and belief in the players who had stuck by the club in the dark times.

Sandat and Dackers - I think we can do better personally, but they were available at short notice, were already known on a personal level to the coaches, and I think Kev felt loyal to them as they were both desperate to stay here first time round and held on as long as they could, but ultimately were not able to.

They've done us a turn and got us through to the end of the season, but things are petering out and it's been a mentally exhausting season for everybody. People are being impatient - let's just get some perspective and be pleased that we still have a club to support.

I think a minor rebuild/rebalancing of aspects of the squad is needed in the summer and I expect we'll get that, with a top 3 position the target.

Last edited:
In John Still we have a man who's ability to spot a player is widely acknowledged by both fans and more importantly those within the game.
The ideal person to lead our recruitment and generally the expressed view over the months by a collective of SZ contributors!
So do we have faith in him or not?
Waldron, Morton & Crowther as signings had JS endorsement.
Identified as players with potential for development. They were probably earmarked as targets for this summers recruitment.
Let's remember the 'Top' hit the floor running targets from the magic 'White Board' had long disappeared over the horizon of 'Embargo' land.
Many expected that once the embargo was lifted for us to go out and make a couple of 'hit the floor running' signings to boost a play off bid.
This did not happen due to a lack of availability of the players we wanted or felt were right for a permanent 'impact' signing.
You also have to consider a understandable 'capping' of what transfer budget was available given the Consortium do not actually have legal possession of the keys to the castle.
Fingers crossed for the forthcoming campaign!
Dackers and Sandat were available as loans, so boosted squad numbers in a quick fix we know the player they know us scenario.
Personally I fully expect all 3 of the permanent signings, after a full professional pre season, to build on what for them has been a major transition period and show the real substance to the potential that JS has identified.
I expect they will become integral to the make-up of the squad next season.
We obviously need to secure some top of the list targets, the type of performers that every promotion side needs to have, those 'impact' players you hoped for post embargo.
No doubt JS will play his part in any success that comes our way next season, as I am sure will the likes of Waldron, Morton and Crowther.
As I said earlier do you have faith in JS and that eye for a player or not?
We need to acknowledge and accept our signings post embargo were driven by an urgent need to boost the size of the squad but at the same time trying to work within our recruitment policy.
If playoffs materialised that would have been a wonderful bonus and having said that, facts are facts, 10 points is still 10 points!

The consensus on here seems to be that we need to change players, not tactics. I don't see this - I think a couple out and a couple in would do us no harm, but that applies to any end of season - however overall I think we have one of the strongest squads in the league. What we need to change is how the players we have are utilised.

I think monopolising the ball is say stage 1. So I don't have a problem with that, because the game is a lot easy with the ball than without, and teams can't hurt you if they haven't got the ball.

Our possession football might be the reason we have scored a lot of late goals this season, teams get tired of chasing to get the ball back. However, we will need to take things to the next level if we want promotion. For me the next stage of our progression is to add some creativity, and cutting edge to all the possession. Look at say Wrexham & Notts County, last season, and Chesterfield this season. I do think we need add some pace to the side, and of course you need a top striker. At the moment we rely too much on Bridge and crosses, nothing wrong with that, but variation of play, a plan B, and being quicker in the transition when we counter all need to improve in my opinion.

Last edited:
I think, unsurprisingly, the main focus in the summer has to be up front. With two or three strikers out of contract soon, this could present us with a good opportunity to make a couple of changes up there.

We’ve accumulated the third-highest expected goals figure in the division (74.48 xG), only behind Chesterfield and Gateshead - even with the over-reliance on Bridge to create chances. However, we’ve only scored 57 goals (J-13th).

With regards to our creativity, the only way we can accommodate a #10 into our side is if they play in our front-two (like Mooney or Wood) or can play as part of our midfield-three next to Miley (which is asking a lot).

Looking at our right-side, we’ve made the fifth-highest amount of crosses from the right in the division, with GSM ranking seventh for crosses per 90. However, the quality of crosses from our right-side in general is significantly worse than from our left.

This isn’t a criticism at all, it’s just easier for us to put better crosses into the area from our left when we have a natural winger in Jack Bridge holding the width.

I have a theory on how I’d try to fix this, but I’m not sure on how likely it is to happen.

I think, unsurprisingly, the main focus in the summer has to be up front. With two or three strikers out of contract soon, this could present us with a good opportunity to make a couple of changes up there.

We’ve accumulated the third-highest expected goals figure in the division (74.48 xG), only behind Chesterfield and Gateshead - even with the over-reliance on Bridge to create chances. However, we’ve only scored 57 goals (J-13th).

With regards to our creativity, the only way we can accommodate a #10 into our side is if they play in our front-two (like Mooney or Wood) or can play as part of our midfield-three next to Miley (which is asking a lot).

Looking at our right-side, we’ve made the fifth-highest amount of crosses from the right in the division, with GSM ranking seventh for crosses per 90. However, the quality of crosses from our right-side in general is significantly worse than from our left.

This isn’t a criticism at all, it’s just easier for us to put better crosses into the area from our left when we have a natural winger in Jack Bridge holding the width.

I have a theory on how I’d try to fix this, but I’m not sure on how likely it is to happen.
I would say the goals scored stats are a little distorted. There were games where we played Kabongolo and Vilhete up front for example, making goalscoring more unlikely. Defensively we have been pretty good and all successful sides should be difficult to score against, which we are. Only 5 sides have scored more goals at home than us. Only a few observations.

The Arsenal that have been destroying teams by 5 and 6 in the last couple months?

If we play like them I’ll be very happy.

Fwiw on the topic of conversation I think Dackers is useless, but always did despite the clamouring for his return.

Sandat is hugely underrated. Perhaps not a fox in the box striker and goalscorer. But his movement and link up play in the pockets is arguably the best in the squad imo. I’ll be surprised if he doesn’t go on to have a decent EFL career. Our fans definitely judge by goals scored rather than overall play.

The other 3 as most have said. Stepping up to full time football for the first time. Not getting regular game time, still getting up to speed with how we operate and have had some good moments and some bad moments. I’m relatively confident they’ll all come good despite Crowther throwing in one of the worst individual performances I’ve ever seen yesterday. Definitely too soon to judge and no idea why some posters are so keen to push the negativity.

We’ve had enough misery in the past 5 years, let’s focus on what’s actually been a successful season.

The goal in September would have been simply to survive both on and off the pitch. And we’ve done that with plenty in hand.

I actually think our overachievement has led to mass disappointment, as expectations got raised to probably unrealistic heights. I include myself in that group too btw. Remainder of the season does feel incredibly underwhelming considering how poor the leagues been this year there was a real opportunity but that went up the wall before the season even began.

Dose of reality needed. These players are probably shattered it’s been a long hard season and whilst I don’t think their minds are necessarily on the beach already, their bodies probably are.

To bring this back to thread. I’d be targeting 3/4 signings in the summer.

An attacking midfielder or 2 if Wes departs,
A wing back to provide competition for places, (JD replacement)
A striker to replace Dackers/Sandat outgoing loans
No- showing my age. The arsenal team of George graham who were famous for 1-0s.

I would equally be happy with the arsenal of today and made that point the other day having watched their highlights destroying another team with proper attacking width (not wing backs who are full backs asked to do both jobs - bridge aside) creative passing players like odegard, havertz in centre mid. A 433 formation like they play I think would suit the players we have and score more goals too

Paul McCallum and Nick Haughton would be high on my shopping list if I were in charge.

Two experienced players, one an out and out #9 and the other a slightly deeper laying #10. Both score goals for fun and in bang average teams.

Two positions we need to fill before any other in my opinion. We are around 15-20 goals short of where we need to be really, to be challenging at the top next season.

Would these two be targets for Kev and would they fit in the consortiums budget for next season?
What may i ask is the consortiums budget for next season

So out of our new players who’s impressed and who hasn’t ? Since the embargo has been lifted… I’d say
Sandat …poor
Dackers …poor
Waldron…ok just
Morton…poor
Crowther…decent (apart from today)

Over all I’d say the recruitment has been poor…. Someone prove me wrong👍🏻

The thing is a lot of our players have not been playing well, not just new players so hard to single them out. We haven't looked the same team since we had a block of games called off in Jan despite being on a good unbeaten run. We haven't pressed opposition, committed men forward. Creating lots of chances. Something doesn't seem right.

The thing is a lot of our players have not been playing well, not just new players so hard to single them out. We haven't looked the same team since we had a block of games called off in Jan despite being on a good unbeaten run. We haven't pressed opposition, committed men forward. Creating lots of chances. Something doesn't seem right.
How do you replace the cutting edge and spirit we had from the adversity and circumstance we found ourselves in? The us against the world mentality and heroism.

Thats maher and co's biggest conundrum, as they have shown that on their day this squad can beat anyone in this league.

I'd be interested to know who is overperforming and who is underperforming xG in terms of our strikeforce, and also if there are particular players that we see notably higher or lower points per game for when in or out of the team?

My perspective on certain players having only watched via NLTV ,Dackers i would let go, Crowther, Morton AND waldron give them a preseason and i think they will be okay, Sandat shame hes just a loanee as is Dackers off course, i like the way Sandat moves ,hes not an out and out Striker he could play off a striker but i wonder if he could be a number 10, he certainly got a brain can find space not afraid to shoot and can see and make a pass also, like to see Coker given an extended run as a number 10 as well, Wood to be given a run in his favoured position as a winger ,yes this is hard under our present setup. I wont speculate at present on who i would release. Wait for seasons end for that.

Will make this really simple:-

Recruitment
FWD - Macallum
FWD - Dallas/Dinanga
MID - Naughton
MID - Ruff (Chelmsford) or a pacy box to box operator
WBK - a pacy player able to operate on both sides
DEF - a loan CB or Jenkins from Chelmsford as additional cover
GK - less of a priority but would be good to have some competition

DONE….

This is easy lol. Hopefully this would give us more goals and lift us to a top 3 team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back