• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24 (Part 2 - Back in Business. Oh no we’re not)

Transfer news
Status
Not open for further replies.
Was Waldron offered a years contract only? If so maybe there was a punt to see if he progresses or not
To be honest if I was Waldron, I would have turned down a 12 month contract.
He would have had to move south from the midlands, give up his day job salary and his playing salary at Rushall. Probably not on a lot more now than when he was part time.

He would have had to move south from the midlands, give up his day job salary and his playing salary at Rushall. Probably not on a lot more now than when he was part time.
It must have been a dilemma on his part, but it shows commitment to try his all to make it as a pro footballer. Let’s hope he flourishes at Southend and has made the right decision.

It's a roll of the dice from his part as well as ours. I would've taken it, like he has, can always go back to being a financial administrator and may not get another chance at pro football.

He who dares and all that

So out of our new players who’s impressed and who hasn’t ? Since the embargo has been lifted… I’d say
Sandat …poor
Dackers …poor
Waldron…ok just
Morton…poor
Crowther…decent (apart from today)

Over all I’d say the recruitment has been poor…. Someone prove me wrong👍🏻

Hey there.

Your gimmick of posting effectively the same point multiple times in multiple threads is really boring.

Get a hobby or something yeah?

Cheers.

Literally everyone.

What I don't get is the shout for buying new attacking midfielders when we don't play the ones we have

Is it... 1) play it safe to the end of the season or 2) don't trust the players we have or 3) we don't need attacking midfielders we will play like arsenal and 1-0 / draw our way to the title .. I mean we have 2 strikers up front so they can score a goal by themselves right ?

What I don't get is the shout for buying new attacking midfielders when we don't play the ones we have

Is it... 1) play it safe to the end of the season or 2) don't trust the players we have or 3) we don't need attacking midfielders we will play like arsenal and 1-0 / draw our way to the title .. I mean we have 2 strikers up front so they can score a goal by themselves right ?
Surely it then must be the set up and tactics that need reviewing. Somebody is to blame for today's **** show

I believe so, until the end of 24/25.
Yes, I think Waldron was given an 18 month contract with the club having an option of extending for another 12 months.

For what is worth, I believe Waldron and Cardwell will thrive once we have a more creative set-up in midfield. Moreton is a superb passer of the ball and could potentially unlock defenses for two fast strikers if he is given a more attacking role.

So out of our new players who’s impressed and who hasn’t ? Since the embargo has been lifted… I’d say
Sandat …poor
Dackers …poor
Waldron…ok just
Morton…poor
Crowther…decent (apart from today)

Over all I’d say the recruitment has been poor…. Someone prove me wrong👍🏻
Sandat and Dackers - agree but I get the impression that's all that was on offer at the time. They are simply here to fill a gap.

Waldron - I'll judge him properly next season, this is still a big step up for him, has shown glimmers but yet to shine.

Morton - I think he's a good player, I'd question more do we actually need him? He adds depth but he feels very similar to what we already have and I don't really see him ever pushing Miley for his position.

Crowther - as you say, decent, will be a key player for us next season.

Beyond the loan players I still don't really see your point here 👍

Sandat and Dackers - agree but I get the impression that's all that was on offer at the time. They are simply here to fill a gap.

Waldron - I'll judge him properly next season, this is still a big step up for him, has shown glimmers but yet to shine.

Morton - I think he's a good player, I'd question more do we actually need him? He adds depth but he feels very similar to what we already have and I don't really see him ever pushing Miley for his position.

Crowther - as you say, decent, will be a key player for us next season.

Beyond the loan players I still don't really see your point here 👍
It’s quite simple … embargo lifted the players coming in have been poor? It’s really not rocket science….👍🏻

I spoke to him yesterday and told him he has a very busy summer ahead
Hopefully he agreed. I’m sure as a group we know where to add we brought in players to tick us over for this season in the likes of Dacks, Henry for example so hopefully we can add few more to group in summer so we can give it a real good go next season

I have a feeling that Gus will try and get into the EFL next season, maybe a Gillingham or Crawley type move!

Doubt we’ll see Dackers & Henry next season, maybe a cover loan

Let’s get those milestones done:

1. Stay in NL
2. Takeover complete

Then I think we can all relax, enjoy a ‘normal’ summer and let’s see what the consortium and football department can do with additions.

We’ll have a lot more to offer in the summer:

Play in front 6-7k fans.
Club on the up.
Play for a young, cemented & respected football department.
Improved training facilities.
Coming into a team with strong core of players.
Etc

I don’t think Crowther, Waldron or Morton have been poor at all. We’ve seen flashes. But it’ll take time for them to step up and be as consistent as they were a level below. As for Dackers and Sandat, I’ve seen a lot of stuff written about them but both were players that were available, that Kev knew and who knew the club. They’d also done well first time round. Remember before they came in we had very limited options up top. They’ve both come in and done their bit.

No doubt we’ll see a few depart in summer and a few good quality incoming (without breaking the bank). Remember Kev, Currie and Benno get final say on any transfers so they’ll know exactly who they need.

Some Southend supporters will always have a view that we haven't delivered what they wanted (promotion) and as a result are grabbing at scraps to boost their opinions. Trying to prove that new players are poor recruitment when they only arrive late in the day is bordering on lunacy, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. Fact - we have survived this season regardless of the serious grief coming our way. The newbies have had to fit a style, which I'm convinced would have been different without the serious grief. Fact - they are finding their feet and fitness and next season will be the time to judge.

The Arsenal that have been destroying teams by 5 and 6 in the last couple months?

If we play like them I’ll be very happy.

Fwiw on the topic of conversation I think Dackers is useless, but always did despite the clamouring for his return.

Sandat is hugely underrated. Perhaps not a fox in the box striker and goalscorer. But his movement and link up play in the pockets is arguably the best in the squad imo. I’ll be surprised if he doesn’t go on to have a decent EFL career. Our fans definitely judge by goals scored rather than overall play.

The other 3 as most have said. Stepping up to full time football for the first time. Not getting regular game time, still getting up to speed with how we operate and have had some good moments and some bad moments. I’m relatively confident they’ll all come good despite Crowther throwing in one of the worst individual performances I’ve ever seen yesterday. Definitely too soon to judge and no idea why some posters are so keen to push the negativity.

We’ve had enough misery in the past 5 years, let’s focus on what’s actually been a successful season.

The goal in September would have been simply to survive both on and off the pitch. And we’ve done that with plenty in hand.

I actually think our overachievement has led to mass disappointment, as expectations got raised to probably unrealistic heights. I include myself in that group too btw. Remainder of the season does feel incredibly underwhelming considering how poor the leagues been this year there was a real opportunity but that went up the wall before the season even began.

Dose of reality needed. These players are probably shattered it’s been a long hard season and whilst I don’t think their minds are necessarily on the beach already, their bodies probably are.

To bring this back to thread. I’d be targeting 3/4 signings in the summer.

An attacking midfielder or 2 if Wes departs,
A wing back to provide competition for places, (JD replacement)
A striker to replace Dackers/Sandat outgoing loans

Paul McCallum and Nick Haughton would be high on my shopping list if I were in charge.

Two experienced players, one an out and out #9 and the other a slightly deeper laying #10. Both score goals for fun and in bang average teams.

Two positions we need to fill before any other in my opinion. We are around 15-20 goals short of where we need to be really, to be challenging at the top next season.

Would these two be targets for Kev and would they fit in the consortiums budget for next season?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back