• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24 (Part 2 - Back in Business. Oh no we’re not)

Transfer news
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last few games, Crowther has been poor. He's been giving the ball away far too easily
The lad is still finding his feet as a full time pro .Given a full pre season im sure he and Morton will get up to speed for next season .The one thing we do need is one another keeper .And to a top quality striker .And probable over hall the midfield with a play maker .

Here's a controversial view.... We don't need any new players for the first team.

We need to change the formation and play players in roles that are more aligned to their skill, capability and mentality. For example

Colin
Gus crowther kensdale Ralph
Defenders with attacking full backs

Husin Miley fonguck
(More freedom especially to find people in front of them)

Wood cardwell bridge
(Width flair and pace with little defensive cover)

Subs/squad: Waldron demi coker Morton Taylor Powell Martin
(Pace attack, defensive cover, attack and defensive midfield cover)

Therefore back up goalie, left back, CB, right winger/forward
As a general rule, I prefer watching teams play 4 at the back instead of 3; it's much more balanced and doesn't depend entirely on WBs for width. I quite like this starting line-up and wouldn't mind seeing it in action...but, has Kev ever played a 4 at the back? Can't think of a time when he has, certainly not at the start of a game.

He seems wed to a 3-5-2, but that might be partly down to who he had available at the start of the season and the signings we've made since the embargo seem to have been to add bodies to help us play that system and that system alone.

It'll be fascinating to see if we add players that can help us be more tactically flexible over the summer. Get a wide forward (or two) in and we can look at playing a 3-4-3. Get a proper no. 10 as well and that'd help the 3-5-2 no end AND allow us to look at a 4-3-3/4-2-3-1.

Whatever happens, it'll be a nice change to be able to sign players over the summer and bed them in with a proper preseason.

Chesterfields squad is full of League 2/1 quality, same as Wrexhams was. Thats set the standard over the last couple of seasons. Next season would expect to be more even.
I think thats a very good point about their financial muscle and who they could afford to go after

I suspect unlikely that we could do the same, although you never know. I like the Consortiums aim of sustainability but the bug can take over and maybe we can fund one good striker from above

But, I do like our new model and here's where our plans, recruitment and coaching should earn stripes, during the close and pre season. Our model is based presumably on quickly developing talented players searched out from the lower leagues by the likes of the admirable Mr Still,

So I believe the likes of Waldron, Taylor, Crowther, Ndi, Scott Morris , Kensdale , Maybe Morton and possibly Coker and Wood , could really step up a level pretty quickly?

Exciting to look forward to and see

As a general rule, I prefer watching teams play 4 at the back instead of 3; it's much more balanced and doesn't depend entirely on WBs for width. I quite like this starting line-up and wouldn't mind seeing it in action...but, has Kev ever played a 4 at the back? Can't think of a time when he has, certainly not at the start of a game.

He seems wed to a 3-5-2, but that might be partly down to who he had available at the start of the season and the signings we've made since the embargo seem to have been to add bodies to help us play that system and that system alone.

It'll be fascinating to see if we add players that can help us be more tactically flexible over the summer. Get a wide forward (or two) in and we can look at playing a 3-4-3. Get a proper no. 10 as well and that'd help the 3-5-2 no end AND allow us to look at a 4-3-3/4-2-3-1.

Whatever happens, it'll be a nice change to be able to sign players over the summer and bed them in with a proper preseason.
He’s started with a back four at least half a dozen times during his reign.

If you’re asking why he hasn’t used it more often I believe we’ve yet to keep a clean sheet in the games we’ve started with four at the back and are scoring under a goal a game: I think the last time we started with 4 at the back we lost 5-0.

He has switched to four at the back a few times during games - I think the most recent example was Aldershot where Jack Wood went wide right but we were up against 10 men by then.

Like many on here I grew up with four at the back but the players have grown up in academies where three at the back is much more common. I’ve however grown to appreciate it as a more attacking option when you have someone like Bridge at LWB and Ralph at LCB both pushing forward on the left and Crowther and GSM on the right.

Really looking forward to seeing the players we're linked with and sign in the summer. Shouldn't need too much to add on the defensive side. I'm so confident that 3 or 4 bits of attacking quality turn us into a top 3 side. I do hope we don't just rely on the leagues below us though. Would love us to make a statement signing like Chesterfield did with Will Grigg. Would get the fanbase onside early and bring a feelgood factor back for the start of the season

Here's a controversial view.... We don't need any new players for the first team.

We need to change the formation and play players in roles that are more aligned to their skill, capability and mentality. For example

Colin

Husin Miley fonguck

Wood cardwell bridge

Not controversial. Just incorrect.

In my opinion, of course!

Colin

Husin Miley fonguck

Wood cardwell bridge

If we signed no new players, at best, we would be lucky to scrape into the play offs. But more than likely would be mid-table.

Your reason for not needing any new players is that we could play a 4-3-3. But using that formation would give us even more of a reason to need new players. We would have just 3 players for those 2 winger positions, one of which (Wood) the manager doesn’t seem to rate that much, and another (Powell) who has been injured for most of this season and is inconsistent at the best of times.

I think the formation we use now works just fine, although we could do with a goalscoring attacking midfielder to unlock it’s full potential. Someone like Charlie Ruff or Nick Haughton.

Regardless of formation, we categorically do need new first team players. Cardwell and Waldron are the only two strikers we have for next season, and that definitely isn’t enough.

Really looking forward to seeing the players we're linked with and sign in the summer. Shouldn't need too much to add on the defensive side. I'm so confident that 3 or 4 bits of attacking quality turn us into a top 3 side. I do hope we don't just rely on the leagues below us though. Would love us to make a statement signing like Chesterfield did with Will Grigg. Would get the fanbase onside early and bring a feelgood factor back for the start of the season
I have said on here before, the Embargo cost us more than 10 points, when you think of the attacking options or rather lack of them for some games particularly around Christmas, we have a top 5 side already. Just need a little more strength in depth, then we will go very close next season.

If Borehamwood go down, which is starting to look like a possibility, I wonder how many clubs would be looking at one or two of their players. Tshimanga for example.

If Borehamwood go down, which is starting to look like a possibility, I wonder how many clubs would be looking at one or two of their players. Tshimanga for example.
Tshimanga is only a loanee. He signed for Peterborough last summer. Could do worse than speak to Barry about a loan though.

Towards the end of a season I usually know who I want to get rid of and who I want to keep - this season I don't. It's fairly obvious that we do need to make some changes - we're very competitive in this league but ours isn't a promotion winning squad as things stand. As such whilst we don't need major surgery we do need a few out and a few in. I guess that if our players are as good as we like to think, a couple may get poached by league teams this summer which opens things up for us to refresh the squad.
I also note that despite having brought a few in, Maher still tends to pick his original team when fit. I hope that's because the new lads are adjusting to full time football - because if we have managed to sign half a dozen who are no better than what we had already, that isn't a good sign.
I have to say that if an offer came in for Jack Bridge this summer I'd be minded to take it. Appreciate that might not be a popular opinion and am aware he assists a lot of goals - but he also dominates the way we play and having him gone would force our team to evolve. Replacing him with a pacy left footer would balance us up more or even allow a formation change.

Towards the end of a season I usually know who I want to get rid of and who I want to keep - this season I don't. It's fairly obvious that we do need to make some changes - we're very competitive in this league but ours isn't a promotion winning squad as things stand. As such whilst we don't need major surgery we do need a few out and a few in. I guess that if our players are as good as we like to think, a couple may get poached by league teams this summer which opens things up for us to refresh the squad.
I also note that despite having brought a few in, Maher still tends to pick his original team when fit. I hope that's because the new lads are adjusting to full time football - because if we have managed to sign half a dozen who are no better than what we had already, that isn't a good sign.
I have to say that if an offer came in for Jack Bridge this summer I'd be minded to take it. Appreciate that might not be a popular opinion and am aware he assists a lot of goals - but he also dominates the way we play and having him gone would force our team to evolve. Replacing him with a pacy left footer would balance us up more or even allow a formation change.
Hmmmm. I'd have thought that if most of our patterns of play are coming down one side through a player who is far and away our top assister, that we'd want to complement and balance it by getting in someone creative for the right hand side, rather than balance it by getting rid of that top assister....

On another note, impressed by Toby Edser today who played in that advanced attacking midfielders role for Ebbsfleet, and I remain hopeful that he's on the list.

Last edited:
This would be my priority shopping list. 2 or 3 of these would be very handy in an attacking sense. Probably missed a few as well.

Whilst I don’t want us to be silly and get ourselves in further financial distress. I do think the consortium are going to need to find a few quid from somewhere to go and get some of the best attacking talent available at this level.

Next season will the best chance we have had since we dropped in, to get back out. We do need to go for it, to an extent. Outside of Oldham, I can’t see any other club competing with us from a financial/support/club size perspective. We need to flex our muscles a bit now.

Paul McCallum
Michael Cheek
Marcus Dinanga
Andy Dallas (loan)
Joe Sbarra
Kabongo Tshimanga (loan)
Ollie Pearce
Dom Poleon
Nick Haughton
Toby Edser
Charlie Ruff
Tony Mancini
Jermaine Francis
Justin Johnson

Wildcard punt: Kane Crichlow (bishop stortford)

This would be my priority shopping list. 2 or 3 of these would be very handy in an attacking sense. Probably missed a few as well.

Paul McCallum
Michael Cheek
Marcus Dinanga
Andy Dallas (loan)
Joe Sbarra
Kabongo Tshimanga (loan)
Ollie Pearce
Nick Haughton
Toby Edser
Charlie Ruff
Tony Mancini
Jermaine Francis
Justin Johnson
Agree - 2 strikers and 2 attacking mids are a must this summer

Even if they stay up, I’d expect changes. Sides at this level don’t stay long together (we’re something of an exception) and sides that struggle tend to see change anyway.

I thought Ebsfleet RWB Chapman was very impressive today
However their LWB certainly wasn't!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back