• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24 (Part 2 - Back in Business. Oh no we’re not)

Transfer news
Status
Not open for further replies.
Eastleigh are bankrolled by former Sunderland Chairman Stewart Donald who has returned for his second stint at the club, first stint he spent fortunes and is doing the same again now just look at their squad some big names now for this level. McCallum is on around 3k a week minimum as he was for us, he lives in south west London. McCallum was ok for us but he’s not a team
Player, having a good season now as he did first season with us but subsequent seasons he became really lazy, the final season when he knew his contract was not going to be renewed he gave up completely. I’d look elsewhere if I were Maher and co.

First starting watching the Blues in 1954 and in that time prolific strikers have been as rare as the proverbial hens teeth. Roy Hollis and Billy Best stand out with their goals to games ratio, Roy 135/240, Billy 123/246. A further five had good returns - Freddy Eastwood 54/115, Barry Corr 43/126, Simon Cox 42/133,Lee Barnard 35/75 and Leon Constantine 21/43. It should be noted Roy played before subs and Billy came off the subs bench twice. Will Cards and Waldren stay long enough to join this illustrious group, I hope so.

He has scored goals in the Brazilian top flight and Chelsea paid £17m for him. I doubt they would loan him into non league. I would say probably league 1 level as a minimum
Personally I agree, but (and a big but admittedly) aren't all those leagues/avenues closed off now for the rest of the season? But could a deal be done with us being in the NL?? Maybe they should test the water.

Personally I agree, but (and a big but admittedly) aren't all those leagues/avenues closed off now for the rest of the season? But could a deal be done with us being in the NL?? Maybe they should test the water.
I don't think the premiership allow loaning to non-league outside of the prem transfer window, unlike the EFL who do still loan to this level (well for a couple more weeks).

We've conceded the fewest goals in the National League so far this season, and have the 5th best goal difference. We've scored the 13th most goals.

That says to me that, over the course of the season so far, it's the scoring that's the problem, not the conceding.

Our overall defensive record may look good but in our last 20 matches we have kept just 3 clean sheets. That’s not good.

Teams rarely blow us out but we’re making life so much harder for ourselves by continually falling behind.

In those last 20 matches we’ve fallen behind in 14 of them. We’ve fallen behind in the first 5 minutes(!) more often than we’ve kept a clean sheet in those matches.

Giving teams a lead gives them something to defend and allows them to sit deep. Whilst that is then beneficial to our defensive record as teams attack us less it makes it harder for our attack.

Our attacking record is also severely hampered by the revolving door we’ve had up front. We’ve had 12 different combinations start up front this season, compared to just 8 combinations in the back three (where with the extra man there’s way more combination possibilities)

Starting pair matches (longest consecutive run together) - goals
Cardwell-Powell 6 (2) - 10
Cardwell-Mooney 4 (3) - 6
Cardwell-Wood 8 (4) - 13
Cardwell-Kanu 5 (3) - 10
Bridge-Wood 1 (1) - 1
Vilhete-Kabongolo 1 (1) - 2
Vilhete-Sandat 2 (2) - 0
Sandat-Kabongolo 1 (1) - 3
Sandat-Dackers 1 (1) - 1
Cardwell-Dackers 3 (2) - 2
Cardwell-Waldron 4 (2) - 7
Dackers-Waldron 1 (1) - 1

No combination has played more than 4 games in a row!

5 starting combinations who have played more than 3 games together: 27 games started that produced 46 goals. That would be on pace for a 78 goal season which on a goals per game basis would be more than when Sutton, Barrow, Orient and Macclesfield went up as Champions (Wrexham, Stockport and Chesterfield have inflated expectations of what NL Champions look like - other than ourselves if goes right and maybe Oldham if they bung a load of cash at it, I don’t see any teams dominating in that style next year).

7 starting combinations who have played 3 or fewer times together: 9 games started that produced 10 goals.

It’s like the more they play together the better the team plays. Of course some of it is down to the fact that we were playing, due to necessity, combinations nobody would ordinarily ever choose. There may as well be an element of that to our defence as well but the defence has had a lot more consistency.

Greater consistency up front leads to more goals which in turns lead to greater confidence which means more goals which will give us more leads which will give us more space to exploit which leads to even more goals.

In 11 games where we have kept a clean sheet we have scored 26 goals.

In 15 games where we have conceded one goal we have scored 20 goals.

In 6 games where we have conceded twice we’ve scored 7 goals (this includes two games against NLS sides)

In 3 games where we have conceded three goals we’ve scored 2 goals.

The better we defend the more it helps our attack.

Our overall defensive record may look good but in our last 20 matches we have kept just 3 clean sheets. That’s not good.

Teams rarely blow us out but we’re making life so much harder for ourselves by continually falling behind.

In those last 20 matches we’ve fallen behind in 14 of them. We’ve fallen behind in the first 5 minutes(!) more often than we’ve kept a clean sheet in those matches.

Giving teams a lead gives them something to defend and allows them to sit deep. Whilst that is then beneficial to our defensive record as teams attack us less it makes it harder for our attack.

Our attacking record is also severely hampered by the revolving door we’ve had up front. We’ve had 12 different combinations start up front this season, compared to just 8 combinations in the back three (where with the extra man there’s way more combination possibilities)

Cardwell-Wood 8 (4) - 13
Cardwell-Kanu 5 (3) - 10
Bridge-Wood 1 (1) - 1
Vilhete-Sandat 2 (2) - 0
Sandat-Dackers 1 (1) - 1

5 starting combinations who have played more than 3 games together: 27 games started that produced 46 goals. That would be on pace for a 78 goal season which on a goals per game basis would be more than when Sutton, Barrow, Orient and Macclesfield went up as Champions (Wrexham, Stockport and Chesterfield have inflated expectations of what NL Champions look like - other than ourselves if goes right and maybe Oldham if they bung a load of cash at it, I don’t see any teams dominating in that style next year).

7 starting combinations who have played 3 or fewer times together: 9 games started that produced 10 goals.

It’s like the more they play together the better the team plays. Of course some of it is down to the fact that we were playing, due to necessity, combinations nobody would ordinarily ever choose. There may as well be an element of that to our defence as well but the defence has had a lot more consistency.

Greater consistency up front leads to more goals which in turns lead to greater confidence which means more goals which will give us more leads which will give us more space to exploit which leads to even more goals.

In 6 games where we have conceded twice we’ve scored 7 goals (this includes two games against NLS sides)

We can all cherry pick the time scale that suits us, but the only timescale that really counts is the season as a whole. The simple fact is we've conceded the fewest goals in the league so far this season. Granted we've let in 5 goals in our last 5 matches, but I don't think that proves the main weakness is the defence.

The fact that we've only scored the 13 most goals and yet have a very good goal difference (5th best in the league) actually proves our defence is our strength.

It seems most of the stats you quote above actually shows our lack of goals has been the issue. I'm sure a lot of what you say (i.e. that our lack of goals being down to a revolving door, injuries, lack of consistency in selection is all true, but the reason isn't the important thing. The fact remains our lack of goals is costing us far more than our defence.

We can all cherry pick the time scale that suits us, but the only timescale that really counts is the season as a whole. The simple fact is we've conceded the fewest goals in the league so far this season. Granted we've let in 5 goals in our last 5 matches, but I don't think that proves the main weakness is the defence.

The fact that we've only scored the 13 most goals and yet have a very good goal difference (5th best in the league) actually proves our defence is our strength.

It seems most of the stats you quote above actually shows our lack of goals has been the issue. I'm sure a lot of what you say (i.e. that our lack of goals being down to a revolving door, injuries, lack of consistency in selection is all true, but the reason isn't the important thing. The fact remains our lack of goals is costing us far more than our defence.

I certainly agree our forwards were the issue when we had Vilhete and Co up front. But he’s gone, Kabongolo’s gone, Mooney’s gone. What are the stats from those games telling you about our current forward options?

We’ve attempted to address our goalscoring issues by getting in Waldron, Sandat and Dackers. It’s still early days with only the Cardwell-Waldron partnership having had more than 3 games together (4 games, 7 goals) but showing promise.

Only 3 clean sheets in the last 20 games however is an issue. That’s a significant sample size. What’s our solution to keeping more clean sheets?

I certainly agree our forwards were the issue when we had Vilhete and Co up front. But he’s gone, Kabongolo’s gone, Mooney’s gone. What are the stats from those games telling you about our current forward options?

We’ve attempted to address our goalscoring issues by getting in Waldron, Sandat and Dackers. It’s still early days with only the Cardwell-Waldron partnership having had more than 3 games together (4 games, 7 goals) but showing promise.

Only 3 clean sheets in the last 20 games however is an issue. That’s a significant sample size. What’s our solution to keeping more clean sheets?
Attack is the best form of defence!

I don't think we need a solution to keep more clean sheets - stats have been put on here recently that show teams are promoted by scoring goals, lots of them, to the point it doesn't matter if you concede.

I think some of our defensive strength has come at the expense of attacking play - I'd rather be a little leakier at the back if it meant we'd score much more often

I don't think we need a solution to keep more clean sheets - stats have been put on here recently that show teams are promoted by scoring goals, lots of them, to the point it doesn't matter if you concede.

I think some of our defensive strength has come at the expense of attacking play - I'd rather be a little leakier at the back if it meant we'd score much more often
I think Barry Fry took that to the extreme, and boy was it good to watch!

Cardwell-Wood 8 (4) - 13
Cardwell-Kanu 5 (3) - 10
Bridge-Wood 1 (1) - 1
Vilhete-Sandat 2 (2) - 0
Sandat-Dackers 1 (1) - 1

So statistically, Cardwell-Waldron is our best partnership then? Interesting...

So statistically, Cardwell-Waldron is our best partnership then? Interesting...
Given the players who are still at the club , the pairing have played together more than once and on a goals per game its Waldron or Wood with Cardwell , as Powell is still Injured

Cardwell-Waldron
4​
7​
1.75​
Cardwell-Powell
6​
10​
1.67​
Cardwell-Wood
8​
13​
1.63​
Cardwell-Dackers
3​
2​
0.67​
But it does indicate the two Big Men idea aint working

Junior Morias is apparently close to leaving Notts County - a player I'd rather have in than Dackers and Sandat. Very good at this level and his style of play would compliment Cardwell well IMO (following on from the above).

Just hope that if he ends up going elsewhere it's simply a loan move until the end of the season and we're able to revisit it in the summer.

AND if he is to go the Daggers it's not done in time for tomorrow's game - like I said, his last 3 games for them saw him score against us in all. Seems to be a curse for our defence (and one that's currently very depleted). He did get sent off for King's Lynn mind you in our first game at this level. I imagine they'll be trying to get it over the line given they played Harry Phipps (a CB) up top last game, although he did score a well taken goal. They've signed this young striker too:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back