• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24 (Part 2 - Back in Business. Oh no we’re not)

Transfer news
Status
Not open for further replies.
Think every team in the country would like that type of striker, not sure how easy it’ll be to get one though.
We are told deals were agreed with McCallum and Dallas before the emargo intervened which say with the new consortium surely very much in reach?

Biggest fix has to be to get quality and balance that means we are a threat down the middle and right as much as the left. Not all managers are spectacularly bright but I dont think there is one who doesn't go into a match against us knowing stopping the threat down the left significantly reduces our expected goals. For example, imagine a Jack Payne in the 10 role

It's quite clear that we desperately need a pacey tricky right winger.

We are so reliant on the left channel. It's embarrassingly one dimensional.

We also need that striker who can score goals for fun. McCallum would be perfect. Eastleigh aren't going anywhere and he is from Essex or east London so would be ideal.
You say tight winger- we don't play wingers. And if we signed a right winger and asked him to play wing back (hopefully more Jack than Mooney) then what would you do with Gus?

Let's hope the deal is completed soon as IMO we are in desparate need of a "marquee" striker signing in the summer. Someone experienced at this level (or above), can manage 40 matches and you can put your mortgage on him banging in 20+ goals. Cards is the closest we have to that, but I'm not sure we will get enough games out of him for him to hit 20+ goals.

Paul McCallum
Nicke Kabamba
Emmanuel Dieseruvwe
Marcus Dinanga
Dominic Poleon
Michael Cheek

Any of the above probably fit the bill. Dinanga would be my preference, purely from a business point of view as he is younger than the rest, so will carry a decent resale value, which seems to be our strategy. Two from that list would be even better. I fully believe if we can add a proven striker, combined with our mean defence, we will go close.

With Dackers and Sandat going back we will be in the market for at least two strikers. This is where the sale of the club needs to be completed sharpish and the consortium need to find a few quid from somewhere to bag at least one of these. Without them IMO we just wont score the required amount of goals to launch a full on promotion push next season.
Micky G won't stand a chance with Emmanuel Dieseruvwe.

Or Michael Cheek for that matter.

When we are missing players like kensdale and Cardwell at the moment I think our scouts will have a busy summer, you need like for like otherwise it’s a long spell at this level

Let's hope the deal is completed soon as IMO we are in desparate need of a "marquee" striker signing in the summer. Someone experienced at this level (or above), can manage 40 matches and you can put your mortgage on him banging in 20+ goals. Cards is the closest we have to that, but I'm not sure we will get enough games out of him for him to hit 20+ goals.

Paul McCallum
Nicke Kabamba
Emmanuel Dieseruvwe
Marcus Dinanga
Dominic Poleon
Michael Cheek

Any of the above probably fit the bill. Dinanga would be my preference, purely from a business point of view as he is younger than the rest, so will carry a decent resale value, which seems to be our strategy. Two from that list would be even better. I fully believe if we can add a proven striker, combined with our mean defence, we will go close.

With Dackers and Sandat going back we will be in the market for at least two strikers. This is where the sale of the club needs to be completed sharpish and the consortium need to find a few quid from somewhere to bag at least one of these. Without them IMO we just wont score the required amount of goals to launch a full on promotion push next season.
I know just the guy we need. Big, pacey, hardworking. Has already scored 14 in 29 this season and is younger than Poleon, Cheek, McCallum, Kabambe etc.

But a bigger issue than our forwards is our defending. We haven’t kept a clean sheet in five matches.

I know just the guy we need. Big, pacey, hardworking. Has already scored 14 in 29 this season and is younger than Poleon, Cheek, McCallum, Kabambe etc.

But a bigger issue than our forwards is our defending. We haven’t kept a clean sheet in five matches.
Can we keep Cards fit enough for long enough to bag 20+ goals is my concern. We need another for sure.

With the exception of Halifax, the other 10 teams above us have all scored more goals than we have. Some of them significantly so. We had the same problem last season, with only one team above us scoring less goals. I'd say we are about 10-15 goals short of where we need to be at this stage of the season, if we are to be serious challengers next term.

Either we need to go and buy a top end NL striker this summer, or the rest of the team need to chip in more significantly. Ideally both IMO. Perhaps Crowther can be our new "Barrett", but who in the midfield can chip in with say an extra 10+ goals next season? Bridge has 6 (5 pens) then it's Coker, Noor and Gus with 4 or 5 each. Nowhere near the levels we need.

Cards cannot do it all himself. The chances are being created especially from wide areas, but we are really lacking an instinctive finisher to tuck them away.

As for the lack of clean sheets recently, yep not great and needs addressing. But overall our defence is solid enough (only 38 conceded - best in the div) so less of a concern for me.

Can we keep Cards fit enough for long enough to bag 20+ goals is my concern. We need another for sure.

With the exception of Halifax, the other 10 teams above us have all scored more goals than we have. Some of them significantly so. We had the same problem last season, with only one team above us scoring less goals. I'd say we are about 10-15 goals short of where we need to be at this stage of the season, if we are to be serious challengers next term.

Either we need to go and buy a top end NL striker this summer, or the rest of the team need to chip in more significantly. Ideally both IMO.

Cards cannot do it all himself. The chances are being created especially from wide areas, but we are really lacking an instinctive finisher to tuck them away.

As for the lack of clean sheets recently, yep not great. But overall our defence is solid enough (only 38 conceded - best in the div) so less of a concern for me.
We’ll need more forwards next season as both Dackers and Sandat are only on loan.

It’s early days for Waldron but he seems to be an instinctive finisher with his feet. His shot that was cleared off the line was very instinctive.

What forwards need is supply and confidence.

We’ll need more forwards next season as both Dackers and Sandat are only on loan.

It’s early days for Waldron but he seems to be an instinctive finisher with his feet. His shot that was cleared off the line was very instinctive.

What forwards need is supply and confidence.
Agreed on both counts.

A proven NL goalscorer is required (McCallum, Dinanga etc) as is perhaps someone who can create from a central role. Bridge does a good job on the whole from wide areas and creates plenty of opportunities (as seen last night) as does Gus when we decide to use him (nowhere near enough IMO)

But there's also a real inability from us to unlock defences centrally. That needs addressing as well.

My priority shopping list would be:

1. Top experienced NL striker (McCallum, Dinanga etc)
2. Another Striker (Perhaps a punt on someone like Ollie Pearce)
3. Top experienced NL CAM (Goalscorer and assister - Nick Haughton, Josh Rees etc)

But obviously the above is going to need the sale completed and the Consortium to have a decent budget. Neither of which we can be sure of.

Agreed on both counts.

A proven NL goalscorer is required (McCallum, Dinanga etc) as is perhaps someone who can create from a central role. Bridge does a good job on the whole from wide areas and creates plenty of opportunities (as seen last night) as does Gus when we decide to use him (nowhere near enough IMO)

But there's also a real inability from us to unlock defences centrally. That need addressing to.

Sigh.

Dinanga wasn’t a proven NL goalscorer when Gateshead signed him.

Langstaff wasn’t a proven NL goalscorer when Notts County signed him.

We should be concentrating on what players can do for us, not what they’ve done in the past.

Sigh.

Dinanga wasn’t a proven NL goalscorer when Gateshead signed him.

Langstaff wasn’t a proven NL goalscorer when Notts County signed him.

We should be concentrating on what players can do for us, not what they’ve done in the past.
How about McCallum or Cheek? Proven NL goalscorers beyond any doubt. Who else would you want on the end of a Bridge cross? These guys are lethal in the box.

Dinanga I've suggested as he is only 26, has 20 goals in 36 games and might fit our model of younger players that could generate a sell-on. But yes much like Waldron, he is unproven bar this season.

How about McCallum or Cheek? Proven NL goalscorers beyond any doubt.

Dinanga I've suggested as he is only 26 and might fit our model of younger players that could generate a sell-on.
Why do they need to be proven?

Proven players cost a significant premium. You’re paying for past performance instead of future performance.

The trick is to identify the players before they explode.

ps Do McCallum and Cheek fit in with our pressing game?

Proven players cost a significant premium. You’re paying for past performance instead of future performance.

Well because if we had of had McCallum or Cheek in our team this season, or last. I'd bet a reasonable amount we'd of made the play-offs?

We were in for McCallum previously, so obviously we aren't a million miles away from having the resources to attract him and others similar. Assuming the sale get's done, why not go in for him this summer?

We are going around in circles here. IMO we need a top quality NL (or higher) striker. That's it. If you disagree we need someone like McCallum/Cheek, that's cool.

I mean you're both right up to a point I think @Smiffy and @Yorkshire Blue ? Quite right that we should sign whoever our football department think is our best shot of goals next season. One factor that could indicate how likely that would be, is a season or two of success already under your belt. There are other factors though of course, so who knows where the best opportunity will be.

However, I think we've already got our man to play alongside Cards. Waldron has only just arrived, its very differrent to Rushall Olympic I would think, he's gone full time and he's moved away from his family and quit his job. If he needs a bit of time to mentally settle, so he can focus, build up his sharpness and full time fitness, and score some goals then fine by me. He's going to be good next year, mark my words. :LoyalSupporter:

The attitude and unprofessionalism by Dinanga when he came Roots Hall, trying to rile the oppo fans was nothing short of disgusting. I hope we don't sign him.

Maher & Co clearly don’t see it like this. Without the embargo we would have McCallum and/or Dallas.

We will likely sign 2 strikers in the summer with Dackers and Sandat leaving. Would it be wise to have both of those be gambles on unproven strikers?

The consortium want to get back into the Football League as soon as possible. The benefits of signing a proven NL goalscorer in terms of our promotion chances next year would hopefully outweigh the costs. And the fact that TL has clearly given the green light on signing these sorts of players in the past year, shows as much.

The attitude and unprofessionalism by Dinanga when he came Roots Hall, trying to rile the oppo fans was nothing short of disgusting. I hope we don't sign him.
Fair comment.

Exactly the type of player I love though (not when against us) Proper ****house and every team needs one or two of these to get out of this division in my opinion. It’s full of them down here.

I don’t think we have enough ****house behaviour and tactics in our locker to be honest. Something else we need to be cuter with.

With the rest of this season quickly turning into a dead rubber it's probably time to look at the squad overall and look at who will leave as well as stay. For me if we got the right offers the below can go:

Any member of our squad.

We need to be realistic about our position, if we got a 6 figure offer for Cardwell we should take it and re-invest in the next Cards. I also doubt we'll hold onto Kensdale this summer.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Husin and Wes go either, they are both good at this level but if we want to improve and do what Chesterfield are doing we need better in midfield.

With the rest of this season quickly turning into a dead rubber it's probably time to look at the squad overall and look at who will leave as well as stay. For me if we got the right offers the below can go:

Any member of our squad.

We need to be realistic about our position, if we got a 6 figure offer for Cardwell we should take it and re-invest in the next Cards. I also doubt we'll hold onto Kensdale this summer.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Husin and Wes go either, they are both good at this level but if we want to improve and do what Chesterfield are doing we need better in midfield.
I'd be surprised if we got bids from other NL clubs for any players. So we're pretty much 'stuck' with what we have unless bids from higher up the pyramid come in. I'd have thought only Collin, Kensdale and maybe Cards would have that possibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back