• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24 (Part 2 - Back in Business. Oh no we’re not)

Transfer news
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's quite clear that we desperately need a pacey tricky right winger.

We are so reliant on the left channel. It's embarrassingly one dimensional.

We also need that striker who can score goals for fun. McCallum would be perfect. Eastleigh aren't going anywhere and he is from Essex or east London so would be ideal.
Thought he was from South London

When talking about players to score goals Callum Powell seems to have been written off. Will he play again this season. Will he play again for the shrimpers ever ? I'm not his biggest fan by a very long stretch but he'd have had a few over the last few months and definitely some of those taken on lately up front are no better. They are taller though :Smile:

With the rest of this season quickly turning into a dead rubber it's probably time to look at the squad overall and look at who will leave as well as stay. For me if we got the right offers the below can go:

Any member of our squad.

We need to be realistic about our position, if we got a 6 figure offer for Cardwell we should take it and re-invest in the next Cards. I also doubt we'll hold onto Kensdale this summer.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Husin and Wes go either, they are both good at this level but if we want to improve and do what Chesterfield are doing we need better in midfield.
The management are already doing this.

Lomas, Kabongolo, Vilhete and Mooney have already moved on.

Ralph, Bridge, Miley, Coker, Cardwell, Kensdale, Taylor all given new contracts in the past couple of months. They’re apparently in talks with Gus for an extension. Crowther, Morton, Waldron all new signings.

Dave Martin will probably become GK coach. Demi will need to decide if he wants to continue playing.

That only really leaves Fonguck, Wood and Powell to make decisions on. They have a year’s option for Fonguck if they want. Wood has been getting more chances of late and maybe offers something a bit different from the bench so maybe that’s pointing towards retaining for now. Powell is the most interesting one. Currently injured but Wealdstone was maybe the first time in a long while we may have missed him.

I think they’d probably like to keep Powell as an option off the bench but I’m not sure if Callum would be keen on that. His skillset is more suited to that sort of role but he seemed to struggle when he wasn’t playing regularly and it hit his confidence. Moreover I believe Dackers is out of contract and I think the management rate Dackers over Powell (in his previous spell Dackers started over Powell).

A big part in all this will be the budget the consortium set. Will we go with a 20 man squad or will we look to have a bigger squad with B team games, where we will look to build our depth?

Moreover I believe Dackers is out of contract and I think the management rate Dackers over Powell (in his previous spell Dackers started over Powell).

A big part in all this will be the budget the consortium set. Will we go with a 20 man squad or will we look to have a bigger squad with B team games, where we will look to build our depth?
I don't think either will be with us next season, reckon we will, and should, be looking elsewhere. Don't think Fonguck will remain with us. Unfortunately I can also see offers for Kensdale and Collin.

Lomas, Kabongolo, Vilhete and Mooney have already moved on.

Ralph, Bridge, Miley, Coker, Cardwell, Kensdale, Taylor all given new contracts in the past couple of months. They’re apparently in talks with Gus for an extension. Crowther, Morton, Waldron all new signings.

Dave Martin will probably become GK coach. Demi will need to decide if he wants to continue playing.

That only really leaves Fonguck, Wood and Powell to make decisions on. They have a year’s option for Fonguck if they want. Wood has been getting more chances of late and maybe offers something a bit different from the bench so maybe that’s pointing towards retaining for now. Powell is the most interesting one. Currently injured but Wealdstone was maybe the first time in a long while we may have missed him.

I think they’d probably like to keep Powell as an option off the bench but I’m not sure if Callum would be keen on that. His skillset is more suited to that sort of role but he seemed to struggle when he wasn’t playing regularly and it hit his confidence. Moreover I believe Dackers is out of contract and I think the management rate Dackers over Powell (in his previous spell Dackers started over Powell).

20 is not big enough given 46 games plus playoffs potentially and cups. Would say 24.
With 20 we are just 4 injuries/suspensions from not putting out a bench. And inconveniently there's nothing that says injuries/suspensions fall evenly across different parts of the pitch. So you can suddenly find you don't have a back three, or a forward who can head the ball or any left footed players all of which can impact the team disproportionately, Yes we can bring in a loan, but that's a lottery depending on who is available, and throwing someone in with no knowledge of those playing around them is potentially another risk. This is, of course, where players like Demi (I'll be surpised if again he isn't player/coach as now) and Taylor are useful because the can genuinely cover multiple positions.

My thoughts anyhow.

I overheard some chap outside The Hope Hotel having a fag that said both Sandat & Dackers want to stay here at the end of the season.

Hash tag: youhearditherefirst

I know just the guy we need. Big, pacey, hardworking. Has already scored 14 in 29 this season and is younger than Poleon, Cheek, McCallum, Kabambe etc.

But a bigger issue than our forwards is our defending. We haven’t kept a clean sheet in five matches.

Well because if we had of had McCallum or Cheek in our team this season, or last. I'd bet a reasonable amount we'd of made the play-offs?

We were in for McCallum previously, so obviously we aren't a million miles away from having the resources to attract him and others similar. Assuming the sale get's done, why not go in for him this summer?

We are going around in circles here. IMO we need a top quality NL (or higher) striker. That's it. If you disagree we need someone like McCallum/Cheek, that's cool.

Because it's strikers that get you out of this league.

Mullin
Palmer
Langstaff
Grigg Etc

All players that had prior seasons of goals that they have continued with.

McCallum is slightly different because by all accounts, he had agreed to come and would be a Southend player had it not been for the embargo.

He can't be on fortunes at eastleigh and realistically they aren't getting promotion. I believe he is from Essex/ east London.

For context minutes per game he is averaging twice as many as cards. Cards and McCallum up top would be a handful at this level..

I wouldn't be adverse to Dackers staying next season, he's the kind of player that feels like he's on the verge of a breakthrough season.

There is no chance Sandat stays here next season, I reckon Hull would like to try him on loan in L2

Probably unlikely, but you can but ask. Would be nice to see the club make an approach for David Washington 18 year old at Chelsea. One of the Brazilian youngsters they invested in and I hear the club are desperate for him to get 1st team football. Apparently they tried to loan him to their sister club Strasbourg but they said no.

So this consortium have enough £ to get the butters and fats back into the RootsHall kitchens BUT how ambition will their summer budget be ??

We have so much talent (that will benefit a pre season) in our squad but will the owners go marquee or tent ?

Probably unlikely, but you can but ask. Would be nice to see the club make an approach for David Washington 18 year old at Chelsea. One of the Brazilian youngsters they invested in and I hear the club are desperate for him to get 1st team football. Apparently they tried to loan him to their sister club Strasbourg but they said no.
He has scored goals in the Brazilian top flight and Chelsea paid £17m for him. I doubt they would loan him into non league. I would say probably league 1 level as a minimum

I know just the guy we need. Big, pacey, hardworking. Has already scored 14 in 29 this season and is younger than Poleon, Cheek, McCallum, Kabambe etc.

But a bigger issue than our forwards is our defending. We haven’t kept a clean sheet in five matches.
We've conceded the fewest goals in the National League so far this season, and have the 5th best goal difference. We've scored the 13th most goals.

That says to me that, over the course of the season so far, it's the scoring that's the problem, not the conceding.

Last edited:

More chance of Maher starting himself at left wing back tomorrow then there is of us bringing in David Washington…

Because it's strikers that get you out of this league.

Mullin
Palmer
Langstaff
Grigg Etc

All players that had prior seasons of goals that they have continued with.

McCallum is slightly different because by all accounts, he had agreed to come and would be a Southend player had it not been for the embargo.

He can't be on fortunes at eastleigh and realistically they aren't getting promotion. I believe he is from Essex/ east London.

For context minutes per game he is averaging twice as many as cards. Cards and McCallum up top would be a handful at this level..
Eastleigh are bankrolled by former Sunderland Chairman Stewart Donald who has returned for his second stint at the club, first stint he spent fortunes and is doing the same again now just look at their squad some big names now for this level. McCallum is on around 3k a week minimum as he was for us, he lives in south west London. McCallum was ok for us but he’s not a team
Player, having a good season now as he did first season with us but subsequent seasons he became really lazy, the final season when he knew his contract was not going to be renewed he gave up completely. I’d look elsewhere if I were Maher and co.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back