• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24 (Part 2 - Back in Business. Oh no we’re not)

Transfer news
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nonsense. Sandat had only recently been transferred from Southend and Dackers has never been a regular anywhere so neither are established FL players, wich was the substance of my point As you rightly say, don't let the facts get in the way though!
But how would we get a decent established EFL player in without a) spending a ridiculous amount of money, or b) getting someone who is past it e.g Josh Coulson?

If I remember correctly Demi won the most horrendous tackle of the International season award about 5 years ago.

If a player in our team did that to help us get promotion/avoid relegation I would pat him on the back.
I wouldn't be so happy if it was done against us.
I'm sure that tackle stopped the opposition breaking away and ended up helping Cyprus get to the Euros or something like that

But how would we get a decent established EFL player in without a) spending a ridiculous amount of money, or b) getting someone who is past it e.g Josh Coulson?
That is the challenge for the management team. Question of blending youth and experience which successful teams manage to do. The Brown model was clearly wrong but to just sign players from the lower leagues simply means mid table mediocrity at best,at worst, a relegation battle.

That is the challenge for the management team. Question of blending youth and experience which successful teams manage to do. The Brown model was clearly wrong but to just sign players from the lower leagues simply means mid table mediocrity at best,at worst, a relegation battle.
We have about the same amount of FL experience in our squad as Notts County did last season.

We are currently lacking confidence, not experience.

The idea is not to just sign 'any' players from the lower leagues - the aim is to recruit those that are capable of playing at a higher level

They are only loanees anyway, not permanent signings, just stopgaps.

Now you’re moving the goal posts.

If it wasn’t for the embargo, we’d have brought in some established National League players, some have gone on to play EFL football. Andrew Dallas, Paul McCallum, Josh Walker, James Daly for starters. We tried with Cheek too. We had loanees lined up from Spurs (a player who has now been on the bench for the first team), Palace, Ipswich to name a few others. As well as some from divisions below too.

I forgot we brought in Kanu from two divisions above, and Martin a goalkeeper who has never played this low down in the pyramid before.

We don’t just look to sign players from lower down, but they are easier to bring in. It’s a lot easier to bring in someone who sees us as a step up as opposed to dropping down divisions.

Be interesting what happens in summer and how many we sign as can’t see it being to many tbh . As we have got a good solid base of squad maybe few more in key areas and hopefully we can give it good crack to try for play offs next season 🤞

That isn’t the recruitment model to only sign players from the league below.

Even during our last batch of signings, two of them came from sides higher up the pyramid that us. Sandat from Championship Hull and Dackers from League Two Salford.

Don’t let facts get in the way of an argument though.
Deluded…sandat 🤣🤣… still not going to many games then

Deluded…sandat 🤣🤣… still not going to many games then

It was stated that we only sign players from below, and in our last 5 signings, 2 of them came from divisions above. Whether people rate them, it’s up for debate, but what I’ve stated is 100% true and the original poster is incorrect.

Just my take on the transfer scenario. Nearly everyone wants an attacking mid and another striker.
The consortium have already invested quite heavily and still not likely to get ownership until April or maybe even later.
I’m sure there will be more quality players incoming during the close season.
Maybe they may add perhaps one more to the squad soon. But who knows.
We just need to back the team with the players we have already. I know they haven’t been great of late, but it’s what we have got.

Now you’re moving the goal posts.

If it wasn’t for the embargo, we’d have brought in some established National League players, some have gone on to play EFL football. Andrew Dallas, Paul McCallum, Josh Walker, James Daly for starters. We tried with Cheek too. We had loanees lined up from Spurs (a player who has now been on the bench for the first team), Palace, Ipswich to name a few others. As well as some from divisions below too.

I forgot we brought in Kanu from two divisions above, and Martin a goalkeeper who has never played this low down in the pyramid before.

We don’t just look to sign players from lower down, but they are easier to bring in. It’s a lot easier to bring in someone who sees us as a step up as opposed to dropping down divisions.

We have about the same amount of FL experience in our squad as Notts County did last season.

We are currently lacking confidence, not experience.
Off the top of my head, Notts County last season had Slocombe in goal, many years of experience at a higher level, Chicksen, O'Brien, Palmer, Brindley and Morais all with many FL games under their belt. We had Demetriou and ?

Go back the season before and we had an over the hill John White, Josh Coulson and James Dunne and we are a far better team than that now. Experience isn't the problem.

The main reason Notts were so good was because they signed a gem from national league north (zero EFL experience)

Ignoring the tripe written this weekend about Mahers position and our recent results, for people to now be questioning recruitment is mental. We are signing young hungry players, making them better and potentially one day selling for a profit to make us sustainable.

They wont always be consistent. They will have off days. They need coaching and game time. If they were the finished article, then wouldnt be here. And not every one of them is going to work out.

But its a brilliant model and one we should all be proud to see the club embrace.

In the last year we've spoken about Kensdale to Ipswich, Cardwell to Exeter, Bridge to Notts County and even if/when Husin/Miley/Ndi have potential to be league players.

We sold Dalby to a high flying NL side as part of this model.

Fans have short memories of signing injured, over the hill players for 1000s a week that nearly killed us as a club and they didnt give a **** about us.

These players for when things were going well, fans had nothing but gushing praise for - now couple of wobbly games asking if its the right sort of recruitment.

I'm an idiot, cos I should just stop coming on SZ. Its absolutely toxic. There are a handful of good, sensible posters on here that make it worth it, then 100s of ill informed no-nothings that make you wonder if they understand the game at all.
Do what I do ,when posters start writing trash ,u no the thread title,DONT READ IT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back