• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24 (Part 2 - Back in Business. Oh no we’re not)

Transfer news
Status
Not open for further replies.
That isn’t the recruitment model to only sign players from the league below.

Even during our last batch of signings, two of them came from sides higher up the pyramid that us. Sandat from Championship Hull and Dackers from League Two Salford.

Don’t let facts get in the way of an argument though.
Nonsense. Sandat had only recently been transferred from Southend and Dackers has never been a regular anywhere so neither are established FL players, wich was the substance of my point As you rightly say, don't let the facts get in the way though!

Time to recognise that the recruitment model of only signing players from leagues below us is flawed. We need a bit of experience as well. The only member of the present squad who can claim a successful career in the FL is Demetriou, now in the sunset of his career. A few others have flirted with a higher grade than NL but without consistent success or establishing themselves. The two ex Barnet players Taylor and Fonguck were never that regularly selected and worse, Husin, Bridge, Raloh and Cardwell never established themselves as first teamers with NL clubs. It is therefore hardly surprising that even without the 10pts deduction we are at best a mediocre mid table side. Time for a rethink.
Succesful? 🤔

Nonsense. Sandat had only recently been transferred from Southend and Dackers has never been a regular anywhere so neither are established FL players, wich was the substance of my point As you rightly say, don't let the facts get in the way though!

You said we only sign players from below, and in our last 5 signings, 2 of them have been from teams higher up. They are facts. Whether they should be in teams higher up the pyramid is up for debate, but they are.

I think the grand scheme of things, playing nearly 300 games in the FL and getting 50 international caps is a success for a lower league footballer.
Thats one way of looking at it i guess.

Another way is actually winning stuff.

Last edited:
Ignoring the tripe written this weekend about Mahers position and our recent results, for people to now be questioning recruitment is mental. We are signing young hungry players, making them better and potentially one day selling for a profit to make us sustainable.

They wont always be consistent. They will have off days. They need coaching and game time. If they were the finished article, then wouldnt be here. And not every one of them is going to work out.

But its a brilliant model and one we should all be proud to see the club embrace.

In the last year we've spoken about Kensdale to Ipswich, Cardwell to Exeter, Bridge to Notts County and even if/when Husin/Miley/Ndi have potential to be league players.

We sold Dalby to a high flying NL side as part of this model.

Fans have short memories of signing injured, over the hill players for 1000s a week that nearly killed us as a club and they didnt give a **** about us.

These players for when things were going well, fans had nothing but gushing praise for - now couple of wobbly games asking if its the right sort of recruitment.

I'm an idiot, cos I should just stop coming on SZ. Its absolutely toxic. There are a handful of good, sensible posters on here that make it worth it, then 100s of ill informed no-nothings that make you wonder if they understand the game at all.

Ignoring the tripe written this weekend about Mahers position and our recent results, for people to now be questioning recruitment is mental. We are signing young hungry players, making them better and potentially one day selling for a profit to make us sustainable.

They wont always be consistent. They will have off days. They need coaching and game time. If they were the finished article, then wouldnt be here. And not every one of them is going to work out.

But its a brilliant model and one we should all be proud to see the club embrace.

In the last year we've spoken about Kensdale to Ipswich, Cardwell to Exeter, Bridge to Notts County and even if/when Husin/Miley/Ndi have potential to be league players.

Fans have short memories of signing injured, over the hill players for 1000s a week that nearly killed us as a club and they didnt give a **** about us.

These players for when things were going well, fans had nothing but gushing praise for - now couple of wobbly games asking if its the right sort of recruitment.

I'm an idiot, cos I should just stop coming on SZ. Its absolutely toxic. There are a handful of good, sensible posters on here that make it worth it, then 100s of ill informed no-nothings that make you wonder if they understand the game at all.
I dont think people are seeing it as a bad method at all, people are just advocating a blend of experience, as well as duly noting that the teams that get out of this league have put their hands in their pockets.

Just how the consortium will operate is a bit of an unknown due to rat still owning it. But they arent fools im sure they will see that, gonna take a bit of time and patience which is hard enough to have in football let alone our fans who have been kicked in the face for years on end.

And of course it comes down to just how much of the self sustaining model everyone wants. Would we all be happy being self sufficient but playing AFC flyde for the next 30 years in non league 🤷‍♂️

I dont think people are seeing it as a bad method at all, people are just advocating a blend of experience, as well as duly noting that the teams that get out of this league have put their hands in their pockets.

Just how the consortium will operate is a bit of an unknown due to rat still owning it. But they arent fools im sure they will see that, gonna take a bit of time and patience which is hard enough to have in football let alone our fans who have been kicked in the face for years on end.

And of course it comes down to just how much of the self sustaining model everyone wants. Would we all be happy being self sufficient but playing AFC flyde for the next 30 years in non league 🤷‍♂️
Why cant we be self sufficient and successful? Like Peterborough have been.

I'm sure Kev will sprinkle in the right sort of players though with the shackles off. I suspect signing NLS/N players has been "needs must" at the moment with the window and I dont expect the consortium at all to go crazy buying loads of players either.

But they'll be more freebies in the summer we can pick up i'm sure.

Why cant we be self sufficient and successful? Like Peterborough have been.

I'm sure Kev will sprinkle in the right sort of players though with the shackles off. I suspect signing NLS/N players has been "needs must" at the moment with the window and I dont expect the consortium at all to go crazy buying loads of players either.

But they'll be more freebies in the summer we can pick up i'm sure.
Well thats the goal, and i hope it works. Its rare tho lets face facts, and its an entertainment business, we need bums on seats to help bridge the deficit. Playing average football in non league long term isnt gonna keep the gate at 7000 imo.

Jesus you’re making a mountain out of a molehill!

This is football, if you think any other club is any different then you clearly are deluded. This sort of reaction goes on at every club up and down the country.

This place is not toxic, this is nothing compared to unmoderated content like Twitter/X or Facebook Groups.

People are entitled to be not worried by the recent situation just as much as some are to be worried and ‘overreact’.

That’s the whole point of this place, it’s a discussion board, it would be pretty boring if we all agreed all the time.

The players we are signing and have signed on long term contracts will keep the club financially sound for many a year. Why? Because thats the model now. Its what we have set out to do and we are going to hate losing players but its going to happen sooner or later. These same players were heroes a few months ago, anyone that knows there salt in football will see in one game the quality and traits that they have. Some of them wont kick on and progress but will do a job for us, some of them will flop, some of them will be the next Dwight Gayle or even Ollie Watkins.

People need to understand that this is the start of something real, its really happening. Okay so it hasnt kicked off as it could have in terms of results but hang on, we play football the right way which is something weve not had for years! We expect the results but lets just fasten our seat belts and take this in. We are in a fight right now, yes but we all know that we are better than this and this is what Kev is alluding too when he says 'stay with us'. We know that these guys are capable, they will produce the goods. Keep believing. Rough patch right now but they never downed tools on us so lets not do it to them. We lost against a very good Gateshead. We lost against an average York who had our number defensively, not good but come on - it was 1.0. It wasnt the 2.0 at game vs Lincoln with Husbands leading the line with Robinson in goal. Or wasnt the 1.7 vs Donny with 'proven EFL' players within the starting 11.

I didnt go to Oxford admittedly, but the home games that proceeded were frustrating but its a blip. Do i wish that Kev would do a Tilly ala Norwich at half time and go attack attack attack 4.3.3. Yes!

Keep the faith guys and girls, we knew we were on a rollercoaster. Unpleasant times, yes, any need to panic knowing that we have quality but just a bit of luck is missing right now? No.

We will only get better. Stick with them. Win the two games in hand we move up to top half of the table. Lose them and we stay where we are with 42 points to play for still. Thats alot of points.

We know how good we can be, we will her there.

That isn’t the recruitment model to only sign players from the league below.

Even during our last batch of signings, two of them came from sides higher up the pyramid that us. Sandat from Championship Hull and Dackers from League Two Salford.

Don’t let facts get in the way of an argument though.
Sorry B W. Both loanees are miles away from their clubs’ first team. Actually Dackers is miles away from being a professional footballer.

Sorry B W. Both loanees are miles away from their clubs’ first team. Actually Dackers is miles away from being a professional footballer.

That wasn’t the point though.

We were told we never sign anyone from above, only players from below.

However, both of these lads have come from clubs higher up. I’m stating facts.

Fair enough but patience will be thin on the ground if we go down.

The best player on the park yesterday was Kabongolo.
You really think so? I know where you're coming from but I would have characterised it as 'most determined' rather than 'best'. I didn't see that much quality from him, although he certainly made his presence felt?

Reactions: RHB
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back