• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24 (Part 2 - Back in Business. Oh no we’re not)

Transfer news
Status
Not open for further replies.
Imo we haven’t improved ? I go home and away we have got worse? Poor recruitment
I never said we've improved, I'm saying the new signings aren't the problem. I have also watched every game.

The loanees are very mediocre if they are who you were referring to as poor recruits.

**** poor recruitment since the embargo was lifted… no improvement imo at all!! Who’s to blame for that? Not good enough
I disagree, the 3 newly signed players are for the future. Unfortunately given our recent performances, they are suddenly expected to be our saviours. If it is necessary to point fingers, than perhaps they should be aimed at some of the more established players?

Standing strongly by my views in recent weeks. We desperately lack leaders and players who can lift us and drag us through tough times. We also desperately lack players who have been there and done it by winning things. We can’t keep getting through without having a plan b and we certainly need to bring in some experienced players to guide the younger members of the squad.
Not sure I can agree with this. We have enough experienced players in the squad; the mix is about right. JD, albeit not a regular starter, has played 500-plus games, Ralph, Taylor, Miley, Bridge and Husin around 250, Fonguck around 200. Collin is benefitting from the advice of David Martin, a veteran of over 400 senior appearances.

There’s an argument we could add a few players in the summer that have some medals on the mantelpiece as we push for promotion, but that’s not so valid currently because we’re still trying to ensure we maintain our National League status.

This squad of players have already shown they can drag us through the tough times; Martin, Ralph and Bridge played half of this season without a contract, almost all of them have had times when they’ve not been paid, they’ve fought on with one sub on the bench, getting incredible results and rightly earned the plaudits for doing so.

Unfortunately they still have the residue of years of mismanagement and lack of planning and/or investment away from the football department. There’s still a water tank in the training ground car park, barely any useable pitches, and - despite the consortium’s investment and the incredible commitment of the club’s staff - a football club that is functioning, but is patiently waiting for real lift-off.

I don’t think for one minute that the players and staff are complacent, but they are probably exhausted. There would’ve been an element of relief about the takeover being announced and the principles of the deal being done, but as fans I think we might, to an extent, underestimate the effort they had to put in during the embargo, and then to wipe out the ten-point deduction.

What they absolutely need now is to know they have our support. They’ll know that from the numbers today, hopefully Tuesday, too, and hopefully we’ll have a win to celebrate together soon.

Unfortunately they still have the residue of years of mismanagement and lack of planning and/or investment away from the football department. There’s still a water tank in the training ground car park, barely any useable pitches, and - despite the consortium’s investment and the incredible commitment of the club’s staff - a football club that is functioning, but is patiently waiting for real lift-off.

I don’t think for one minute that the players and staff are complacent, but they are probably exhausted. There would’ve been an element of relief about the takeover being announced and the principles of the deal being done, but as fans I think we might, to an extent, underestimate the effort they had to put in during the embargo, and then to wipe out the ten-point deduction.

What they absolutely need now is to know they have our support. They’ll know that from the numbers today, hopefully Tuesday, too, and hopefully we’ll have a win to celebrate together soon.
this. they might just be shattered. it might just be that things aren't quite falling at the moment. doesn't mean everyone is useless, they might just be physically and emotionally exhausted after all they've been put through by Ron Martin.

We have the opportunity to sign a player or two from the level above, that couldn’t get a move done by deadline day to another EFL side & I hope we can take advantage of that. The investment now wouldn’t be a lot in comparison to the potential cost of going down.

Crowther and Morton look very good additions, early days for Waldron. Clearly we have missed out on striker targets earlier on in the season and we all know who is to blame for that and it's not Kev or John Still.
Crowther looks good.

Morton’s done okay but I don’t understand the immediate love in or clamour for him to start. Husin/Fonguck have been below par but are more attack minded. Morton looks a very similar player to Miley, not saying that’s a bad thing, but it’s not what we immediately needed. We’re crying out for an attack minded midfielder, he’s not that.

Waldron - he was very poor against York, worse than the off form Cards if I’m being honest. Far too early to judge long term, but it looks unlikely he’s going to be an immediate goal scoring solution.

Not sure I can agree with this. We have enough experienced players in the squad; the mix is about right. JD, albeit not a regular starter, has played 500-plus games, Ralph, Taylor, Miley, Bridge and Husin around 250, Fonguck around 200. Collin is benefitting from the advice of David Martin, a veteran of over 400 senior appearances.

There’s an argument we could add a few players in the summer that have some medals on the mantelpiece as we push for promotion, but that’s not so valid currently because we’re still trying to ensure we maintain our National League status.

This squad of players have already shown they can drag us through the tough times; Martin, Ralph and Bridge played half of this season without a contract, almost all of them have had times when they’ve not been paid, they’ve fought on with one sub on the bench, getting incredible results and rightly earned the plaudits for doing so.

Fair enough counter argument however how many of them players you have named in the first part of your response have you ever seen stepping up as a leader? 0? When I say leader I mean encouraging others etc, guiding other players, being very vocal etc. JD you can’t count either as rarely on the pitch to have this influence.

this. they might just be shattered. it might just be that things aren't quite falling at the moment. doesn't mean everyone is useless, they might just be physically and emotionally exhausted after all they've been put through by Ron Martin.
The concerning thing about that is if they are shattered now then what are they going to be like in 35 days after playing something like 12 more games? If that is the reason or even a part bit of the reason for it then we are ****ed.

Imo we haven’t improved ? I go home and away we have got worse? Poor recruitment
Expecting instant obvious improvement when signing promising players from part-time football is a bit of a stretch, to put it mildly. Our biggest issue hasn't been the new guys, its been our ponderous tippy-tappy around the box instead of quick, incisive balls into the box with runners attacking them.

We're still doing a bit of that: Bridge put a lovely ball across the box today - perfect for Waldron, but he was getting splinters in his bum on the touchline. Nowhere near often enough, though.

We're just out of sorts and really need this season to end (without being relegated) and Ron to **** off, properly **** off and leave us alone, so the whole club can properly focus on building towards a future worthy of this great club.

From what I see it's not the players. Latest game there were few clear cut opportunities. Still the football is ponderous and side ways.

We've always had an issue under Maher with scoring goals. Nothing has changed there.

The setup and therefore players in their roles are too defensive. It's how he played football so unsurprising.

That said I agree on a need for attacking midfielder. If we insist on playing the same way we need more than one.

You can put mids in 3 buckets. Defensive ball winners, all rounders and attacking. Coker maybe wood are the only players with a desire to get forward. Miley Morton in the ball winning. Husin fonguck in all rounder.

if we continue this style of play then we need to play maybe both ball winners or a Miley plus a Husin. Then bring in 2 attacking mids and play one up front.

having 2 strikers is a waste of time if we don't create anything from much deeper.

Dennis on🔥on loan please
Did you know he's only scored 2 goals in 29 appearances for MK Dons and Sutton United? According to some of their fans he's useless and has no confidence. That's what our fans were saying when he first came here. Then all of a sudden he was on fire, like you say, and was beating the defenders to rebounds and deflections. He didn't mess about, and put his boot through it. Something our strikers could learn from. I hope he finds his form and confidence again.

I still think it’s a young and confident attacking central midfielder that we want.

Someone like Zak Brunt, Junior Stanislas, Jack Payne, James Olayinka.

Someone who is unafraid to run at defenders, have a shot from distance and with a trick up their sleeve.

I’m sure Championship clubs must have some 18 year olds like this who would benefit from playing men’s football to toughen them up.

I hope John Still’s network of scouts aren’t just watching games two divisions below but also reserve and academy games from two or three levels above.

If we are serious of getting out of the league next year (assuming we stay up this year) then we have sign players that can go straight in the team and play at this level if not the level above comfortably. If we continue signing players that may take 2 years to bed in then we can’t expect to challenge next season.

I like Morton but to me he plays the Miley role and I feel he was signed at the time when Miley was out and we were not sure when he would be back.

Crowther looks a decent signing though.

Attacking midfield and up front is where we need some quality ready to go players. Dackers and Sandat will not score 10 between them in a season and will not get us promoted. We need players like Dinagra who is horrible to play against but will score and a player like Naughton from Flyde as creative midfielder, scores pretty much every week

Lot's of talk on here and other threads about the new guys, and Sandat, Dackers and Woods. Morton, Waldron and Crowther are good enough for the first 11. Playing part time then adjusting to full time can sometimes take a few weeks or months of getting used to. I'm told Waldron is a superb finisher in training, but he's hardly been set up with any supply when he's on the pitch for us. Is that his fault? His goals will come mainly from his boots, rather than his head. Another thing to think about and work on to get the best out of him. Morton is a class act and sort of purrs about the pitch, but obviously needs a bit more aggression to win the ball back and to not be bullied in midfield. I think he will improve. Crowther has already showed he's every bit as good as Taylor(Who's a main contender for Player of the season). Crowther has that extra goal threat at corners and free kicks. Typical that he's come to a club that takes the worst corners and free kicks I've ever seen. Sandat, Dackers and Woods are young strikers learning their trade. Should they be here doing that? No. The Sandat and Dackers loans are not working out and we could get much better loans from another Championship or League one club. Woods needs games. He's a very slow burner. So slow, the fire's almost gone out. He should go out on loan. Sandat tries so hard, and we really want him to come good, but it's not happening. Dackers is fastly going backwards, and this loan is a massive mistake for him and for us.

Lot's of talk on here and other threads about the new guys, and Sandat, Dackers and Woods. Morton, Waldron and Crowther are good enough for the first 11. Playing part time then adjusting to full time can sometimes take a few weeks or months of getting used to. I'm told Waldron is a superb finisher in training, but he's hardly been set up with any supply when he's on the pitch for us. Is that his fault? His goals will come mainly from his boots, rather than his head. Another thing to think about and work on to get the best out of him. Morton is a class act and sort of purrs about the pitch, but obviously needs a bit more aggression to win the ball back and to not be bullied in midfield. I think he will improve. Crowther has already showed he's every bit as good as Taylor(Who's a main contender for Player of the season). Crowther has that extra goal threat at corners and free kicks. Typical that he's come to a club that takes the worst corners and free kicks I've ever seen. Sandat, Dackers and Woods are young strikers learning their trade. Should they be here doing that? No. The Sandat and Dackers loans are not working out and we could get much better loans from another Championship or League one club. Woods needs games. He's a very slow burner. So slow, the fire's almost gone out. He should go out on loan. Sandat tries so hard, and we really want him to come good, but it's not happening. Dackers is fastly going backwards, and this loan is a massive mistake for him and for us.
Time to recognise that the recruitment model of only signing players from leagues below us is flawed. We need a bit of experience as well. The only member of the present squad who can claim a successful career in the FL is Demetriou, now in the sunset of his career. A few others have flirted with a higher grade than NL but without consistent success or establishing themselves. The two ex Barnet players Taylor and Fonguck were never that regularly selected and worse, Husin, Bridge, Raloh and Cardwell never established themselves as first teamers with NL clubs. It is therefore hardly surprising that even without the 10pts deduction we are at best a mediocre mid table side. Time for a rethink.

Time to recognise that the recruitment model of only signing players from leagues below us is flawed. We need a bit of experience as well. The only member of the present squad who can claim a successful career in the FL is Demetriou, now in the sunset of his career. A few others have flirted with a higher grade than NL but without consistent success or establishing themselves. The two ex Barnet players Taylor and Fonguck were never that regularly selected and worse, Husin, Bridge, Raloh and Cardwell never established themselves as first teamers with NL clubs. It is therefore hardly surprising that even without the 10pts deduction we are at best a mediocre mid table side. Time for a rethink.

That isn’t the recruitment model to only sign players from the league below.

Even during our last batch of signings, two of them came from sides higher up the pyramid that us. Sandat from Championship Hull and Dackers from League Two Salford.

Don’t let facts get in the way of an argument though.

Don’t let facts get in the way of an argument though.
He never does, and I wouldn’t hold my breath on the off chance of a change of approach…

I do think people need to remember that the club is still owned by Rat-faced Ron. While that remains the case, budgets are going to be tight because any spending by the consortium is (to an extent, probably mitigated legally somehow or other) at risk. We’re bloody lucky to have signed the players we have, in these circumstances, irrespective of where we signed them from.

They are not robots. You don’t plug them in when Amazon deliver them, then leave snotty messages online when they misfire on the first go.

Shouldn’t we allow them a little bit of time before writing them off as no hopers? Or have we all decided that the Shrimpet worldview is the way to go? If so then count me out of that - I’ll wait for them to settle and concentrate on supporting them in the meantime. Seems only fair since that’s what I am - a supporter.

We’ll win sometime in the next couple of games, I’m absolutely certain. Then things will settle a bit - but I do definitely agree the football department have more to do if we are to challenge next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back