• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24 (Part 2 - Back in Business. Oh no we’re not)

Transfer news
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm struggling to see how Vilhete will manage to get a place in the squad now with the strength in depth we now have. I wonder if the fairest thing is to let him return to Hayes so he can be playing week in week out?
It might depend on several things. Firstly, Vilhete is no spring chicken (30) and has expressed a wish to finish his career with Southend.

Secondly, it may depend on how closely we follow the Brentford model where we keep a B team ticking over, which would accommodate all those players that are not making the Saturday squad augmented by academy players. And lastly, we have been known to suffer the SUFC injury jinx where we get multiple injuries at the same time. Or this could just be rhubarb and we send him back.

I'm struggling to see how Vilhete will manage to get a place in the squad now with the strength in depth we now have. I wonder if the fairest thing is to let him return to Hayes so he can be playing week in week out?
We don’t really have much strength in depth in the wing back positions. If Gus and/or Bridge are suspended or injured, Vilhete would probably be used as cover on the bench for that position.

During the next few months we should be sourcing a promising youngster to play this bench cover role, for me that's the next signing priority.

You should never be signing players “for the bench”.

Everyone you bring in, should be with the idea of them being first choice in their position. If you are signing “bench players” you’ll never improve.

We haven’t signed the likes of Crowther, Morton & Waldron with the idea of them becoming bench players. Yes, that might be what they achieve, but the idea is they challenge for a spot and have the ability to take that place from whoever is holding the shirt.

You should never be signing players “for the bench”.

Everyone you bring in, should be with the idea of them being first choice in their position. If you are signing “bench players” you’ll never improve.

We haven’t signed the likes of Crowther, Morton & Waldron with the idea of them becoming bench players. Yes, that might be what they achieve, but the idea is they challenge for a spot and have the ability to take that place from whoever is holding the shirt.
Why did we sign Wood then and have interest in the other lad at the moment?

During the next few months we should be sourcing a promising youngster to play this bench cover role, for me that's the next signing priority
Is there a role on the bench for at least one player with experience who can play a number of positions? Someone you bring on with five minutes or less to go to close out the game, or, comes on as third sub after an unexpected knock or injury when you have already made two changes.
That is the role you would want Vilhette to fill. If you think that third substitute is a position (I do) then he is a useful player to have around as long as he is not overpaid.

Is there a role on the bench for at least one player with experience who can play a number of positions? Someone you bring on with five minutes or less to go to close out the game, or, comes on as third sub after an unexpected knock or injury when you have already made two changes.
That is the role you would want Vilhette to fill. If you think that third substitute is a position (I do) then he is a useful player to have around as long as he is not overpaid.
Jason Demetriou. But I agree we want youngsters to challenge our wing backs

i also dont believe it when they say and has been said that there will be no more signings this season , im sure if JS and his merry men came across an absolute jewel in the making ,the club would go all out to sign him,

I did just post in the Vilhete Leaving thread that does this make us a bit threadbare again?
Unless my Maths is sh1te (highly likely) we now have 19 permanent professionals on the books without Henry and Dackers. That includes our long term injured, Martin, Lomas and Callum. That doesn't feel too threadbare to me, but its not impossible that the Hitchin Town youngster may now heave into view.

Unless my Maths is sh1te (highly likely) we now have 19 permanent professionals on the books without Henry and Dackers. That includes our long term injured, Martin, Lomas and Callum. That doesn't feel too threadbare to me, but its not impossible that the Hitchin Town youngster may now heave into view.
And at that point are we done until the summer?

Or do people think we are in "sign a target at anytime if possible" territory?

So we only have 16 perms (not long term injured) and 2 loans? That’s not a lot if 1 or 2 are also carrying knocks. Could even end up with a short bench again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back