• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24 (Part 2 - Back in Business. Oh no we’re not)

Transfer news
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s this about Powell which is why I think we need him at the club….

“He’s still got a way to go, but he’s such a bubbly character and you can probably hear him before you see him, so we’re delighted to have him back around the place.” (From, Kev on the official site)

He brings something different to the game in his direct and physical approach, something we don’t have from anyone else. His attitude and personality seem infectious. Such a positive character, just take a look at his Instagram on any given day.

All clubs needs someone like him in the dressing room and on the pitch. Give the man a contract extension!! Need to see him holding a scarf smiling!!
If you also watch the video reel of Cardwell's goals the club put up today, you can see Powell occupying defenders to make space for Cards. As soon as we had two genuine strikers up top, Cards looked less effective. Powell played a big role in Cards' purple patch. When Kanu played, Cards looked a totally different player. Whatever we think of Powell, the one thing he does do, is make defenders worry.

I llke Powell for his enthusiasm and his attitude and what he brings with his 'terrier' style of chasing down players and balls. For me though, he isn't strong enough on the ball and never seems to use his box of tricks in matches to get past players. It's something I don't like to mention but his size hinders hi s other attributes a fair bit.
Very useful for harassing a team when we're 2-0 up to pin them back but feel there's better out there with more composure.
Having said all that I think he'l be kept for another year to reward his attitude which is very good.

And with CP's work ethic, I bet he won't take long to be considered for the match day squad.

Whether he can make the 16 with the depth we have, is a question for another day (and for the Three Amigos to answer).

He has to be careful, he has had a bad injury.

His work ethic is incredible and he is absolutely smashing his rehab and the comeback trail, however he is one of those people that if he is told to do 20 x 200m sprints, for example, he’ll do 25.

Because of this, he’ll either comeback quicker, or he’ll breakdown.

Thankfully, he isn’t just working with our medical team on his comeback, so will have a proper chance at coming back quicker, stronger and better than before.

I llke Powell for his enthusiasm and his attitude and what he brings with his 'terrier' style of chasing down players and balls. For me though, he isn't strong enough on the ball and never seems to use his box of tricks in matches to get past players. It's something I don't like to mention but his size hinders hi s other attributes a fair bit.
Very useful for harassing a team when we're 2-0 up to pin them back but feel there's better out there with more composure.
Having said all that I think he'l be kept for another year to reward his attitude which is very good.

That’s the impression I get too.

Don’t see him getting June 2026 as the others, but he deserves June 2025, as does everyone that has stood by us.

That’s the impression I get too.

Don’t see him getting June 2026 as the others, but he deserves June 2025, as does everyone that has stood by us.
Despite his reputation for being profligate with chances Powell scores his fair share of goals. While he does not score as many goals as his supporters would like him to he finds the net much more than his detractors expect.

He does offer something different and he must be extremely annoying to play against. A more than useful option to come off the bench either when chasing a game, or, when trying to protect a lead.

While it is hard to disagree that there might be better players out there there is an argument to be made that those better players might not be always quite as effective.

They used to say in football: 'Things don't happen; you make them happen'.

I would suggest that his strongest attribute is making things happen. He does this through his attitude, pace and non stop motor.

Hopefully on his return, now we have a full squad he will be able to play in his strongest position, which is on the wing I believe.

We bought him for an undisclosed fee as a striker, as he had just scored 17 goals in 28 appearances as a striker for Kettering Town.
Which just goes to show we need to calibrate our expectations of a free scoring striker from a lower league. Our recruitment has been great and we have defence and midfield sorted. I'm still not convinced you find many strikers on the cheap though and its them that move you up the levels.

See Wrexham have signed Jack Marriott from Fleetwood. Wonder where that leaves Dalby now. See he starts the odd game and comes on as sub but must be down the pecking order. If im right they have:

Fletcher
Palmer
Mullin
Dalby
Lee
Marriott

Love to get Dalby back in the summer
Dalby started against Blackburn and with Lee being a midfielder, I think he's very much still in their plans

See Wrexham have signed Jack Marriott from Fleetwood. Wonder where that leaves Dalby now. See he starts the odd game and comes on as sub but must be down the pecking order. If im right they have:

Fletcher
Palmer
Mullin
Dalby
Lee
Marriott

Love to get Dalby back in the summer
The thought of Cards feeding off Dalby flick-ons and layoffs is a pretty nice one if maybe ambitious.

The thought of Cards feeding off Dalby flick-ons and layoffs is a pretty nice one if maybe ambitious.

As I mentioned elsewhere, they made up 2/3 of the best strike force we’ve had under Kev’s tenure (Matt Dennis was the final piece of the jigsaw with his pace & finishing).

Sadly we never got to see Cards at his best with Dalby, due to injuries, not quite being at his physical peak and still adapting to this level of football.

As I mentioned elsewhere, they made up 2/3 of the best strike force we’ve had under Kev’s tenure (Matt Dennis was the final piece of the jigsaw with his pace & finishing).

Sadly we never got to see Cards at his best with Dalby, due to injuries, not quite being at his physical peak and still adapting to this level of football. Dennis had a golden patch when Kevin played him down the middle rather than wide, he didn't finish the season that well. Guess he already knew he was off to MK Dons.
Dennis did well when Kevin played him down the middle rather than wide. He didn't finish the season that well, guess he knew he was off to MK Dons.

Dennis did well when Kevin played him down the middle rather than wide. He didn't finish the season that well, guess he knew he was off to MK Dons.
I think (unfortunately) he also let the 'Dennis on fire' chants go to his head a little bit. As a teenager who probably hadnt had that before, I think we can cut him some slack for that but I think its still true to say that it hampered him a bit towards the end of his time with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back