• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24 (Part 2 - Back in Business. Oh no we’re not)

Transfer news
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is rumoured that Ipswich’s Freddie Ladapo and Port Vale’s Uche Ikpeazu are both having medicals with Charlton Athletic ahead of a double transfer swoop.

Could this then possibly free up Kanu for a loan deal?
would we need him back? He had a very good game against Solihull, other than that cant say he really stood out. Henry has already shown what he can offer and although he hasnt scored as many goals (easily could have had 3) he has scored, won a penalty, should have had another one at Kiddie and with a target man has shown that he can link up play well. Once Cardwell is fit and Waldron signed i would expect Dackers and Henry to come off the bench. Nice to have the options though

Last edited:
would we need him back? He had one good game against Solihull, other than that cant say he really stood out. Henry has already shown what he can offer and although he hasnt scored as many goals (easily could have had 3) he has scored, won a penalty, should have had another one at Kiddie and with a target man has shown that he can link up play well. Once Cardwell is fit and Waldron signed i would expect Dackers and Henry to come off the bench. Nice to have the options though
To say he was heavily marked after the Solihull game would be an understatement. As an 18 year old (I think?) he did brilliantly. I’d have him back on loan for the season in a heartbeat.

I don't agree with following a Stoke/Peterborough/Cardiff/Crewe* method - I think we (Southend United) have to plough our own furrow that suits the club & the position it is in at any given time.

And I don't think having a discussion about selling players is "stupid" - that's just part of football & it is interesting to hear the different points of view.

I certainly don't want to be losing any players & I have been pleased thus far that there has been relatively little talk (rumour? tittle-tattle? mischief-making?) concerning Southend players attracting interest elsewhere.

* enter name of club currently in vogue on Sly Sports

To say he was heavily marked after the Solihull game would be an understatement. As an 18 year old (I think?) he did brilliantly. I’d have him back on loan for the season in a heartbeat.
fair comment, but with Dackers on loan and rumours of Henry having his extended is there room for another loanee in that position? Guess it would be a decision between one or the other. Also of course Charlton may not loan him out again anyway

I'm intrigued how much of an offer the club would need to consider. Obviously it varies per player, but @londonshrimper. mentioned the Crowther deal is £35k (not sure if all up front, and imagine likely a sell-on too). Should he become our best centre back next season and then we get an offer in for him for £100k I guess I'd normally see that as a good offer, but is 3x/£65k profit enough?

Same with Noor/Cardwell, both cost fees I believe, probably in the low 5 figures, if we spent a similar amount on Cardwell as Crowther then a £50k offer doesn't really make sense (even accounting for his contract situation, as I think he was in a similar position with a few months left when we signed him?).

Would naturally be interested to know how much we spent on the non-free transfers and intrigued what our valuations would be now. I imagine the club have a number against each player, similar to Brighton?

Waldron had a release clause of £10k. But there was a lot to do with add-ons and the sell-on as I already previously alluded to.

Waldron is not the only signing incoming by the way.. ✍🏼

My concern with JJ is that he plays as a winger (I think) which we've established didn't work with Mooney. Unless he can play WB, I'm not sure where he fits in to the squad

Unless Maher & co are going for a more "sophisticated" approach which is about changing players & formation for certain games/opposition or during a game or to adjust for injuries. Perhaps that is needed if going for a promotion push next season? [shrugs shoulders; query face]

Colchester are sniffing around Noor now as well. !! 100k deal app
I doubt very much that is true, we have all seen that rumour but we are overloaded with midfielders already, with a few coming back from injury/suspension lately. The only issue could be most of our midfielders are creative types, we are short of defensive midfielders which I think is the role Noor plays. The Cowleys have been having a good look at our players to assess any weakness but I think they are happy and our problems are more to do with fitness, and organisation of the squad.

I doubt very much that is true, we have all seen that rumour but we are overloaded with midfielders already, with a few coming back from injury/suspension lately. The only issue could be most of our midfielders are creative types, we are short of defensive midfielders which I think is the role Noor plays. The Cowleys have been having a good look at our players to assess any weakness but I think they are happy and our problems are more to do with fitness, and organisation of the squad.
He isn’t a defensive midfielder- rather he played there whilst Cav was injured and before Morton signed. Of course, he is good enough that he did it very well. Hands off :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back