• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24 (Part 2 - Back in Business. Oh no we’re not)

Transfer news
Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont want to sell him, but if they make a silly offer surely we will accept, thats our model no? Trusting recruitment to find gems use them and sell for profit.

Will be a tough one for Harry, he's loved here, part of something. Could stay for a few seasons get some promotions and become a legend.

But lets face it if a bigger company comes knocking with significantly more pay and you only have a few years left to work you have to consider it...
But they won't make a silly offer.

If, and I've no evidence either way, he won't sign a new deal - would you sell now or let him leave for free in summer?

Ideal world we agree a new deal, but what if that's not possible?
Leave on a free

We won't get much for him now anyway so might aswell see what he can do in terms of reaching out final league position

I cannot believe this discussion!

Sell him for £50,000?! What planet are you on?!

We didn’t sell him when the chips were really down, why would we sell him now? We wouldn’t command a big fee for him because of his injury record so that’s a pointless debate.

Get him fit and get him in the team. Get the contract sorted, and if that doesn’t materialise because he wishes to exercise options then everyone knows where they stand to prepare for a suitable replacement in the summer.

I cannot believe this discussion!

Sell him for £50,000?! What planet are you on?!

We didn’t sell him when the chips were really down, why would we sell him now? We wouldn’t command a big fee for him because of his injury record so that’s a pointless debate.

Get him fit and get him in the team. Get the contract sorted, and if that doesn’t materialise because he wishes to exercise options then everyone knows where they stand to prepare for a suitable replacement in the summer.
I don't expect him to sign a new deal personally. If he's sensible he will see his time out with us then he demand a healthy contract with the plethora of EFL clubs that will be after his signature being a free agent.

But they won't make a silly offer.
Can you be sure on that?
How much is it worth to them to avoid the drop, and what if their other targets dont come through?

Im talking "non league" silly offer, which poses an interesting question about the consortium and just how strictly they are going to be with the finances, as collectively lets face it, they arent short of a few bob.

Last edited:
Heard Kev on BBC Essex this morning (might have been an old soundbite from a day or so ago, but he said there has been no bids for any of his players as there had been a lot of talk and rumour going around social media about clubs coming in for our players.

It was along those lines (you should be able to listen again around 8:30 on the morning show to get the acutal wording etc)

Heard Kev on BBC Essex this morning (might have been an old soundbite from a day or so ago, but he said there has been no bids for any of his players as there had been a lot of talk and rumour going around social media about clubs coming in for our players.

It was along those lines (you should be able to listen again around 8:30 on the morning show to get the acutal wording etc)
I wouldnt expect him to say otherwise tbh....

Can you be sure on that?
How much is it worth to them to avoid the drop, and what if their other targets dont come through?

Im talking "non league" silly offer, which poses an interesting question about the consortium and just how strictly they are going to be with the finances, as collectively lets face it, they arent short of a few bob.
Yes. I do realise that you mean a relatively silly offer, but they still wont do that. If they make any offer it will be less than they want to pay with a view to negotiating.

I think with regards to any sale there needs to be some realisation that there are a lot of nuisances to each and every situation. There are many reasons why the club could and should accept an offer on any of our players, equally there any many reasons why they might turn down a huge offer.

For example, Cardwell may really want to move to club x, have already stated his intention not to sign a new deal, be keen to move in January, and still be 5 games away from being able to play 90 minutes. In that case say an offer of £50k comes in, the consortium state this money can be used for transfers and John Still has 2-3 players in mind that would cost this in total.

Surely then the debate on selling vs not isn’t so stupid?

This is actually a pretty simple example but highlights that it’s not simply a case of yes or no when it comes to valuation being met.

I think with regards to any sale there needs to be some realisation that there are a lot of nuisances to each and every situation. There are many reasons why the club could and should accept an offer on any of our players, equally there any many reasons why they might turn down a huge offer.

For example, Cardwell may really want to move to club x, have already stated his intention not to sign a new deal, be keen to move in January, and still be 5 games away from being able to play 90 minutes. In that case say an offer of £50k comes in, the consortium state this money can be used for transfers and John Still has 2-3 players in mind that would cost this in total.

Surely then the debate on selling vs not isn’t so stupid?

This is actually a pretty simple example but highlights that it’s not simply a case of yes or no when it comes to valuation being met.
The reality is that we might need to sacrifice a favourite every year if we want to be successful. It's why the whiteboard is so important. The "whiteboard" is the new "process"

The reality is that we might need to sacrifice a favourite every year if we want to be successful. It's why the whiteboard is so important. The "whiteboard" is the new "process"
I agree in the main with that and am delighted we are finally following this path, However part of that strategy is to grow a group of younger " potentials " together and then some may be riper for higher standards and demand higher fees. Small acorns Is where we are at though I guess

Our new group havent actually been together long although adversity has certainly thrust fast learning at them

Ideally I would like to see another year of development to strengthen our position to build and fulfil the strategy for it to be sustained y. Depends too on what resources the Consortium are prepared to use to sustain the model, although I guess they could be tempted to make their first sale, possibly prematurely. How far can they continue to tie up the contract situation and offer incentives richer enough to keep some like Harry for longer

But isnt it great to see those through the door on 2 and a half year deals, long may it continue

I’m not sure how accurate these rumours are regarding Cardwell, but I’d be very disappointed if he were sold this month. However, we have to do what is right for the club. If he’s willing to sign a new contract, then no problem! But if he isn’t, then it’s all about what offer comes in for him.

I’ve been working on a recruitment document which I’m releasing today, and when I looked for similar players to Cardwell, Waldron’s name did come up. If we can get that transfer over the line, and sign Dackers in the summer then it would represent good succession planning for if Cardwell was to depart.

Nobody expects The Spanish Inquisition ;-)
I remember watching the very first episode when it came on unannounced late one evening. I was hooked from then on. I still have the LPs and the Big Red Book (which is, of course, Blue...).

I'm intrigued how much of an offer the club would need to consider. Obviously it varies per player, but @londonshrimper. mentioned the Crowther deal is £35k (not sure if all up front, and imagine likely a sell-on too). Should he become our best centre back next season and then we get an offer in for him for £100k I guess I'd normally see that as a good offer, but is 3x/£65k profit enough?

Same with Noor/Cardwell, both cost fees I believe, probably in the low 5 figures, if we spent a similar amount on Cardwell as Crowther then a £50k offer doesn't really make sense (even accounting for his contract situation, as I think he was in a similar position with a few months left when we signed him?).

Would naturally be interested to know how much we spent on the non-free transfers and intrigued what our valuations would be now. I imagine the club have a number against each player, similar to Brighton?

It is rumoured that Ipswich’s Freddie Ladapo and Port Vale’s Uche Ikpeazu are both having medicals with Charlton Athletic ahead of a double transfer swoop.

Could this then possibly free up Kanu for a loan deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back