• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24 (Part 2 - Back in Business. Oh no we’re not)

Transfer news
Status
Not open for further replies.
What a stupid thing to say. Cardwell is our top scorer and we need to do whatever it takes to try tie him down to a new deal
If, and I've no evidence either way, he won't sign a new deal - would you sell now or let him leave for free in summer?

Ideal world we agree a new deal, but what if that's not possible?

If, and I've no evidence either way, he won't sign a new deal - would you sell now or let him leave for free in summer?

Ideal world we agree a new deal, but what if that's not possible?
It will be a very minimal fee we would get if we sell him now with his contract up at end of season so I’d risk letting him go for free end of season. Recruitment is known to be fairly easier in the summer than in January . So I’d rather be looking for his replacement at the end of season

It will be a very minimal fee we would get if we sell him now with his contract up at end of season so I’d risk letting him go for free end of season. Recruitment is known to be fairly easier in the summer than in January . So I’d rather be looking for his replacement at the end of season
Agreed. A small fee now won’t make a huge difference. Having a fit Cardwell help fire us to a playoff spot (and a potential shot at promotion) would be worth its weight in gold. Let’s say we make it, likely he’ll sign a new deal with us to play L2 football. If we don’t make it, and he wanted to leave, I’d wish him all the very very best because what a brilliant servant to the club he has been during all the ****. Signing a replacement in the summer would be easier than now. I have a sneaky suspicion he wants to be here anyway, so comfortable he’ll be here start of next season.

Yea, would rather lose him on a free in a summer. Will be worth more to us if he gets back on goalscoring track and gets us up (or close to it). Nobody going to pay anything for him thats going to make a dent to our condition.

That said, we need to be realistic and whilst "selling club" sounds harsh, its now the model we are as a club that we take young talent, coach them, give them a platform and sell for good money with a new eager recruit ready to take their place.

Its a good model and will serve us well in terms of sustainability. So if we lose Cardwell or Husin etc at some point its ok, we trust in the football dept and we move on.

With the signing of Crowther, and return to fitness of Lomas (eventually), not to mention Kabongolo, we could afford to push Ralph into LWB without too much impact on the balance of the team. As for Gussy, how do you replace a bloke that looks like a bag of spanners and can't pull his socks up, tough old ask, that one. (I love the bloke).
One of the elements of our success is having a sound left footed left central defender in a back 3 that plays as a quasi left back in certain phases of play.

In addition, losing the attacking prowess of bridge or any winger like creativity really prevents our attacking progress.

In a traditional 532 formation with wing backs it makes sense however both Gus and bridge play more as wide mids/ wingers than full backs (like the old tilson days with beard wide right)

Moving back to a traditional 532 with defenders in wing back positions counters out success. Looking at formations we play a more 3421

Yea, would rather lose him on a free in a summer. Will be worth more to us if he gets back on goalscoring track and gets us up (or close to it). Nobody going to pay anything for him thats going to make a dent to our condition.

That said, we need to be realistic and whilst "selling club" sounds harsh, its now the model we are as a club that we take young talent, coach them, give them a platform and sell for good money with a new eager recruit ready to take their place.

Its a good model and will serve us well in terms of sustainability. So if we lose Cardwell or Husin etc at some point its ok, we trust in the football dept and we move on.

Now that the cobwebs have been hoovered up in the Recruitment Department (aka John Still), hopefully the whiteboard has replacements lined up in various positions, should EFL clubs want any of our talent that has been nurtured in the last couple of years.

I believe the likes of Brighton, Brentford, Southampton had success in recent years with this kind of model because their recruitment department were always 2 steps ahead, if someone important got sold, they already had the replacement in their system somewhere.

Not so stupid if he spends even more time on the treatment table as he did last season .
He will not be moving unless he wants to and why would he? If he contributes to the cause in the final part of the season, as he surely believes he can, he will be able to negotiate much better terms for himself than he is likely to get by locking himself into Exeter before the transfer window closes.

The best possible outcome for Cards is a few clubs looking to sign him in the close season allowing him and his agent to essentially hold an auction for his services.

Who knows? If by then we have returned to the EFL via the play offs we might even be one of the clubs making a bid!

Not so stupid if he spends even more time on the treatment table as he did last season .
I've already alluded to this. Cardwell has not had backup/Southend have not had a decent 2nd striker to take up the position when Cardwell is out, everyone gets injured but Cardwell has never actually been able to properly fully recover from his injuries, any small injury he has gotten has just gotten worse due to the demand of having to play.

To consider selling Cardwell with the form and goals he can bring to the table? What a weird suggestion.

Now that the cobwebs have been hoovered up in the Recruitment Department (aka John Still), hopefully the whiteboard has replacements lined up in various positions, should EFL clubs want any of our talent that has been nurtured in the last couple of years.

I believe the likes of Brighton, Brentford, Southampton had success in recent years with this kind of model because their recruitment department were always 2 steps ahead, if someone important got sold, they already had the replacement in their system somewhere.
All clubs, and businesses generally, should have contingency planning like this.

I dont want to sell him, but if they make a silly offer surely we will accept, thats our model no? Trusting recruitment to find gems use them and sell for profit.

Will be a tough one for Harry, he's loved here, part of something. Could stay for a few seasons get some promotions and become a legend.

But lets face it if a bigger company comes knocking with significantly more pay and you only have a few years left to work you have to consider it...

Sorry if I’ve missed it earlier in the thread but where’s this Cardwell rumour sprung from? Surely Exeter will be looking at a number of different strikers and that’s all there is to it. They’ve not approached Southend, have they?

Sorry if I’ve missed it earlier in the thread but where’s this Cardwell rumour sprung from? Surely Exeter will be looking at a number of different strikers and that’s all there is to it. They’ve not approached Southend, have they?
It seems they made a bid for him last time the EFL Window was open. Without trawling back I believe he, and the club, responded Foxtrot Oscar. This time round there have been a chunk of Twitter rumours and a local Exeter rag has alluded to him, but they have also quoted the Exeter manager as wanting two new strikers. If I missed any vital bits I'm sure those in the know will add more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back