• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24 (Part 2 - Back in Business. Oh no we’re not)

Transfer news
Status
Not open for further replies.
People moaning about the length of time that the Waldron deal has been going on, in reality it’s nothing.

We’ve previously spent months talking to players who have gone elsewhere. We’ve spent longer than this on numerous deals under numerous managers and not landing our targets.

PB chased a player the whole of pre-season once and he chose elsewhere. The likes of Noel Hunt, Simon Cox & Michael Kightly were deals that took a lot longer than we’ve been speaking to Waldron.

Phil withdrew his interest in Danny Waldron after learning he had been misinformed about the age of the striker. 'To be honest' Phil said, 'I thought he was 37 and not 27. I need experienced players to try and get us out of the mess I have taken over.'
I'm sorry but I find this hard to believe!!!

Someone has clearly fabricated this story to lull us in to believing that Kiddi are no longer interested.

The real Phil Brown wouldnt have started by saying 'To be honest' he would have said 'If truth be known'.

Lies! I tell you. Its all lies!!!

:Winking:

People moaning about the length of time that the Waldron deal has been going on, in reality it’s nothing.

We’ve previously spent months talking to players who have gone elsewhere. We’ve spent longer than this on numerous deals under numerous managers and not landing our targets.

PB chased a player the whole of pre-season once and he chose elsewhere. The likes of Noel Hunt, Simon Cox & Michael Kightly were deals that took a lot longer than we’ve been speaking to Waldron.
Out of interest, who was that player?

So you think he’s going else now 😉

As I understand it, originally the deal wasn't clearly documented in respect of a sell on clause but most other stuff was agreed. We then offered 20% and then they wanted 50%. I don't know where it's got to. He could be another godship or a diamond! Who knows!.
The step up is sometimes a step too far. Look how Murphy and Hyde are hanging them in now. And all of a sudden hydes never-ending hammies aren't so bad! h
It took cards and GSM a while to adjust, and sometimes desire comes into it.
on the back of (eg) 3 straight losses, -1 degrees, a bit of grief from fans, it's surprising how long a hamstring can play up mentally. We're as opposite as you can get in the current players minds. They're all up for every game even when carrying niggles.
Looking at it objectively, you do wonder what sort of money we're talking about as a sell-on. He's 27 and possibly getting close to his peak. To get a decent price for him he has got to really perform for us in the next few months &/or next season. What could we hope to get for him? Unless he's a Vardy, £100k, £200k, £300k? In the bigger scheme of things, if he helped get us promoted, would it matter if we only received 50% of any sell on fee, instead of 80%? Just sign the bloke if they think he's the right one.

Were those more about convincing the players/agreeing personal terms/them keeping options open hoping for better options? Seems to me the longest delays or often down to the players rather than the clubs?

Sounds like Waldron wants to come. A fee has been agreed but the sell on..

They want to capitalise on their prize asset and we don't want to be priced out.

Hopefully it will be resolved soon. If it isn't, then I'm sure there are other targets to move onto.

Could also be that Waldron was content being a part time player, having a job and getting paid to play football. It is a big step going full time - from the numerous clips / videos I have seen. He looks a decent player - not only can he finish with both feet but he makes intelligent runs and seems composed.

Leaving your job and moving down South is a big step - maybe now he feels it is the right time - could be his last chance.

Who knows but I for one would be delighted if he signed.

Find it weird they want a big sell on for a 28 year old part time NLN striker. What they hoping for? He’s gonna bang 50 goals in and we gonna sell him for a million to Peterborough? Weird one….
You can spin that around and say why are we resisting - as you say the probability is this sell on isn't going to big - infact I'd go as far as saying it's likely to be zero - the likelihood is the clubs are arguing over nothing!

Find it weird they want a big sell on for a 28 year old part time NLN striker. What they hoping for? He’s gonna bang 50 goals in and we gonna sell him for a million to Peterborough? Weird one….
I don’t think it’s beyond the realms of possibility that we could get 150-200k for him if he was to continue the same goalscoring form with us.

A 20-50% cut of that for a club like Rushall would be significant I imagine.

Last edited:
I don’t think it’s beyond the realms of possibility that we could get 150-200k for him if we was to continue the same goalscoring form with us.

A 20-50% cut of that for a club like Rushall would be significant I imagine.

Exactly that. Forget all that he is nearly 28 nonsense (the peak of male fitness). If he joins us and scores 10 goals on the way to the play-offs. He would become a £200,000 player for someone in the EFL by May. Same if he has good season in 24/25.

I mean no disrespect to Waldron here but I do wonder if we are getting a little carried away with the “natural goalscorer” tag whilst at the same time ruling Dackers out as a goalscorer.

Waldron is in NLN, has scored 16 in 25. Previous season he was in Northern Premier league with Alvechurch where he got 29 in 51.

Dackers in 21/22 scored 7 in 8 in the Northern Prem followed by 9 in 20 in NLN. At a much younger age.

So I’m not sure Waldron is going to drop into the side and start smashing in goals for fun (though I truly hope I am wrong).

Also Waldron is currently part time. Moving up to full time football is huge and I think a couple of our other players who did the same struggled initially to come up to speed. He is also moving to a brand new area and this is not always an easy thing for a player, see Mooney as a recent example.

So all in all I am sure the management team know more than me but I think we need to be cautious with expectations for a player making such big changes to his life.
Flip a coin tbh, could hit the ground running ala freddy, or could be way out of his depth ala goodship.

Flip a coin tbh, could hit the ground running ala freddy, or could be way out of his depth ala goodship.

That's not a fair comparison.

Eastwood and Waldron would only be stepping up 1 division and have a good team and management around them.

Good ship stepped up several divisions and had a succession of managers around him who were dreadful.

Never under estimate the coaches role in player progression, and the environment in which a player can flourish. Goodship had neither of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back