• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24 (Part 2 - Back in Business. Oh no we’re not)

Transfer news
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interest from Kidderminster at this late stage will be less of a question of will he move to Kidderminster or ourselves and more of a question of will his agent be able to use this supposed interest to wrangle some more cash out of us.
If we can afford it and it's sensible, I wouldn't begrudge a slightly more than fair offer, given he's giving up his day job etc to go full time for the first time at 27 and moving half way across England.

I mean no disrespect to Waldron here but I do wonder if we are getting a little carried away with the “natural goalscorer” tag whilst at the same time ruling Dackers out as a goalscorer.

Waldron is in NLN, has scored 16 in 25. Previous season he was in Northern Premier league with Alvechurch where he got 29 in 51.

Dackers in 21/22 scored 7 in 8 in the Northern Prem followed by 9 in 20 in NLN. At a much younger age.

So I’m not sure Waldron is going to drop into the side and start smashing in goals for fun (though I truly hope I am wrong).

Also Waldron is currently part time. Moving up to full time football is huge and I think a couple of our other players who did the same struggled initially to come up to speed. He is also moving to a brand new area and this is not always an easy thing for a player, see Mooney as a recent example.

So all in all I am sure the management team know more than me but I think we need to be cautious with expectations for a player making such big changes to his life.

I mean no disrespect to Waldron here but I do wonder if we are getting a little carried away with the “natural goalscorer” tag whilst at the same time ruling Dackers out as a goalscorer.

Waldron is in NLN, has scored 16 in 25. Previous season he was in Northern Premier league with Alvechurch where he got 29 in 51.

Dackers in 21/22 scored 7 in 8 in the Northern Prem followed by 9 in 20 in NLN. At a much younger age.

So I’m not sure Waldron is going to drop into the side and start smashing in goals for fun (though I truly hope I am wrong).

Also Waldron is currently part time. Moving up to full time football is huge and I think a couple of our other players who did the same struggled initially to come up to speed. He is also moving to a brand new area and this is not always an easy thing for a player, see Mooney as a recent example.

So all in all I am sure the management team know more than me but I think we need to be cautious with expectations for a player making such big changes to his life.
Agree with this statement, always makes me chuckle a bit when people are called "natural goalscorers" yet are still playing part-time football at 27. I guess you could say his style of play is as a natural goalscorer, but so far his level has been low enough that no-one at NL level has seen him as a natural goalscorer until now.

Of course players can flourish at different ages, but it's funny how we try to make it all about "natural" talent, it's sure taken a while to come to the fore if so.

Not being down on the signing, totally trust the recruitment team and he does seem the sort of striker we're missing (confident, not afraid to shoot, gets in the right areas, big fella who can move). Will be excited if this gets over the line but we're not signing the next Paul Mullin or Macauley Langstaff here (which is fine, not everyone can break the league goalscoring records).

Good post this, strikers are funny at times, and the post below has mentioned Mullin and Langstaff who are both prime examples.

Both were very average a few years ago - Langstaff released by York which feels hard to believe. There seems to be something with strikers where for no obvious reason it just clicks.

I just hope we can be onto the next one when it happens. Having JS in our ranks gives us the best chance possible.

It is for many players, difficult to make a step (or two up) - perhaps more so for a striker where their "effectiveness" (i.e. goals scored) is so visible compared to say a defender or midfielder.

Players can be missed or develop at different times in their career but, for me, more often than not there is a reason why a player is in a certain league.

There is a quote that goes along the lines of "there is no such thing as a bad player; they're just at the wrong level".

Anyway, I go back to banging the drum [again? - Ed] for players with Football League experience. Let's not be tainted for ever by the dealings of Phil Brown.

It is for many players, difficult to make a step (or two up) - perhaps more so for a striker where their "effectiveness" (i.e. goals scored) is so visible compared to say a defender or midfielder.

Players can be missed or develop at different times in their career but, for me, more often than not there is a reason why a player is in a certain league.

There is a quote that goes along the lines of "there is no such thing as a bad player; they're just at the wrong level".

Anyway, I go back to banging the drum [again? - Ed] for players with Football League experience. Let's not be tainted for ever by the dealings of Phil Brown.
Yes, Brandon Goodship is an example of a striker who struggled at a higher level.

Then Notts County signed a NLN goalscorer with no league experience going by the name of Macaulay Longstaff...with every step up he scores more gaols more frequently. In the end its all about good recruitment. So management team watching Waldron 20 times and offering a fee for him gives me a great deal of confidence.

That said we have made some great signing of players who have played in the EFL - Cardwell, Husin et al. Clearly the type of player that wants to get back into the EFL and prove a point.

As for players direct from the EFL why not. If they fit the profile, same as the above really.

I’d argue that there’s a factor even more important than being at the right level: being in the right system.

Take Josh Coulson for example. It wasnt that he was a bad player but he was the wrong player to be playing alongside John White, Jason Demetriou and behind Will Atkinson. That side desperately needed pace and athleticism. Had you put Coulson alongside Nathan Ralph at LCB, Harry Taylor at RCB, Gus Scott-Morris at RWB and Noor Husin in RCM he’d have likely done a good job for us as his lack of pace wouldn’t have been so exposed.

If you ping high balls at Henry Sandat he’ll struggle (at least at this stage of his career) but if you have him playing off a target man like Kabongolo or Dackers he’s way more effective. Same level but he’s crap at one thing and good at the other. Use him at the things he’s good at and he’s er, good.

One of the reasons Gus was such a good signing is his strengths were all the things we were missing: athleticism to get up and down that flank, the intelligence to make those late runs, good in the air, he even has a long throw. Put him in a system where he has to stay back more and you won’t see him getting on the end of crosses. Put him in a system where you don’t have Bridge on the other flank ******* in defenders and getting double digits assists and he’ll look a lot more ordinary.

Put players in the right situation and they’ll succeed. Good managers, scouts, coaches understand this. Bad managers and scouts just fling darts at a dart board blindfolded and hopes one sticks.

Hearing Kidderminster have made an eleventh hour bid for Danny Waldron. Phil Brown wants him as he tries to avoid relegation..

He wants the move to Southend, but wouldn’t have to move geographically if he went to Kidderminster as he’s already based in the West Midlands.
Surely some mistake here. Brown going for young up coming talent? Surely he wants a past it journeyman with crocked knees or back?
didn't realise hes 27. Ok. Worried now

If we can get Bridge , Cav and Morton pinging balls into the box regularly then if your style of play as a forward is to make these runs near or far post then you stand a good chance of bagging yourself a few goals throughout the season.

The season we dropped out of the EFL we had zero creativity among our ranks with the exception of James Olyinka who was industrious and capable of opening up defences but we were a team with rock bottom confidence who were playing not to lose rather than win at times .

I fancy Waldron to settle into this team but lets not dismiss Sandat who i think has been involved in crucial moments of nearly every game he has played in since back

Goal
Disallowed Goal
won a Penalty
had a stone wall Penalty turned down
missed a gilt edge chance which he created himself by trying to chip the keeper instead of side footing home

There will come a point where its 1 in 1 out, I really cannot see Kev (or Tom for financial prudence) wanting to have a huge squad, and as it stands I can see 3 players going out on loan next season ! If no B or u23/21 team is established, which personally I'd say should only happen once back in EFL.
Proven goalscorers have made the difference at Wrexham, Notts county, Stockport, Chesterfield,
Quality up top rather than quantity is the only way out of national league!

totally agree and at the point where we do reach the 1 in 1 out scenario, that is where we should see another benefit of the overall sustainability project and JS's recruitment skills. Because hopefully those that leave, we should start seeing fees being received as they hopefully move up the football pyramid and some revenue being re-invested in the recruitment process as well as elsewhere into the club.

When we start seeing that we will well and truly know we are on a stronger footing than many years past.

Last edited:
:Off Topic:Alert, but funny
Whilst poking around Kiddimister forum to see what is being said about Waldron, this popped up for a very reliable (joking) source. Thought I'd share
1705334463284.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back