• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24 (Part 2 - Back in Business. Oh no we’re not)

Transfer news
Status
Not open for further replies.
We will surely keep Sandat as long as is possible. He, Waldron, Cards and Deckers look to be a potent enough strike force at this level to give us a realistic hope to make the play offs. If we do we will be the club no one wants to play and we could end the season in a place no one expected in August.

No preseason and hardly any subs? I do not think it will catch on though.

Onwards and upwards....COYB!

Agree, keep Sandat. If we have 4 forward options, we have the ability to go a crazy run. Personally think we need a sub keeper and then we are done.

Agree, keep Sandat. If we have 4 forward options, we have the ability to go a crazy run. Personally think we need a sub keeper and then we are done.
I think you mean 'back-up' keeper seeing as keepers are rarely on the bench with the max of 5 subs allowed in the NL.

We might have used a keeper on the bench when we barely had 2 outfield players available as back-up, but those days are thankfully behind us.

I don't think a back-up keeper is a priority, but I dare say the management/ recruitment team have names on the infamous whiteboard, ready to make their move when the time comes.

Last edited:
I think you mean 'back-up' keeper seeing as keepers are rarely on the bench with the max of 5 subs allowed in the NL.

We might have used a keeper on the bench when we barely had 2 outfield players available as back-up, but those days are thankfully behind us.

I don't think a back-up keeper is a priority, but I dare say the management/ recruitment team have names on the infamous whiteboard, ready to make their move when the time comes.
Quite probably, but with Dave Martin hopefully returning to full fitness soon, we not only have a ready made GK coach for Colln, but also a very decent, experienced back-up cover in the event of Collin getting a splinter or whatever.

The Sandat month Long deal might be all we can keep him for, who knows. Depends what Hull have planned for him. He’s still young and pretty raw so they may want him back but if they see he is making regular contributions at this level, they may be happy to do another month at least and thatll give Cards some proper time to recover. The fact he was out on the pitch doing some running before yesterdays Game shows he can’t be too far away from returning. The Waldron saga is really dragging on and even if he does sign before Tuesday he‘ll be on the bench as KM doesn’t seem keen too blood the new lads from the get go which is very sensible.

Reactions: RHB
The Waldron saga is really dragging on and even if he does sign before Tuesday he‘ll be on the bench as KM doesn’t seem keen too blood the new lads from the get go which is very sensible.
Must be a really big decision for a player making a move like this. Probably Have to move his family if he has one. Obviously ambitious so good luck to him and us.

I wonder what sort of wage bracket players like this are in ?

Must be a really big decision for a player making a move like this. Probably Have to move his family if he has one. Obviously ambitious so good luck to him and us.

4 rock salmon and a ha'peth of chips

Not writing him off before he's potentially signed, but anyone else a bit concerned about Waldron? More so fans expectations.

He's what... 27/28? And a part time player. Think its a big ask to step up to full time and perform at a higher level.
Given the chances we had yesterday, I think a player like Danny Waldron would have taken them. I am really looking forward to this signing, he looks strong, knows where the onion bag is and, imho, will thrive in the way we play. I`ll stick my neck out here and say that he will end up a fans favourite, and score many goals for us. Just what we have been lacking recently, a true striker with an eye for goal. Cardwell and Waldron up front is something to look forward to. Buzzing for this signing. Up the Blues. Fantastic support yesterday, me and my daughter thoroughly enjoyed it. Hope the information was helpful.

Last edited:
I vote we wait and see what happens with Danny Waldron. If he signs it will almost certainly be permanent and two from Cardwell, Dackers and Waldron would be favourites to start most games. Hull are probably content at the moment as Henry is getting game time. If that dries up, then how will they feel? And we still have the mighty midget to return yet don't forget.

The issue isn’t with Waldron, he has agreed personal terms. It’s Rushell holding the deal up but seems some progress has been made on that front

The issue isn’t with Waldron, he has agreed personal terms. It’s Rushell holding the deal up but seems some progress has been made on that front
I think he’s making a different point, and both can be true (and are in this case). Waldron has got a non-football job as well as playing part time for Rushall. He’s never been a full time footballer before.

Moving to Southend means going full time, so he has had to resign from that part time job and this will also be his first move outside the West Midlands region so it will be the first time his family would need to relocate unless he is to either commute daily to Essex or spend several days a week away from his family every week.

Now, these are choices we all make - my own current job sees me regularly take in the delights of Glasgow for several days at a time (not every week, and I can generally choose when too which makes a difference). However these are all important factors that need to be got right by and for Danny so that he can settle at Southend and flourish.

Fortunately it sounds as though all those factors and also negotiations with Rushall have all now led to a positive conclusion and barring any unexpected hitches he should be a Shrimper by Tuesday.

:LoyalSupporter:

I don't know whether these videos have been posted yet.

For balance: I don't want to get too excited or expectant over goals scored at National League Regional level, and obviously the videos only show goals and not other elements of his game, but I did see some qualities that I (and I suspect Kev) really want to see in an additional striker:
  • Pace
  • Strength
  • Good footwork
  • Good and instinctive finisher
  • Strong with (and not at all afraid to use) his 'weak' foot
  • Good movement - through the middle, in the box and down the channels.
  • Right place at the right time (the 6 yard box!)
  • Energetic - can press high and from the front
Again, only 10 and 2-minute clips, but I can definitely see why he's been on the radar for a while and watched pretty extensively by our network, and why we've stuck with it whilst Rushall were being difficult.

So in terms of rumours I guess the best we have now is deal done with Waldron subject to structure of future payments.
Are we still trying to get Josh Walker in from Burton?
For me he’s a fish out of water there and would fit us like a glove.
26 years old excellent record. good player IMO him and Waldron would complete our squad, ready for playoffs, promotion and EFL next season. COYB, UTB :LoyalSupporter: :LoyalSupporter: :LoyalSupporter: :LoyalSupporter: :Footballer:

I don't know whether these videos have been posted yet.

For balance: I don't want to get too excited or expectant over goals scored at National League Regional level, and obviously the videos only show goals and not other elements of his game, but I did see some qualities that I (and I suspect Kev) really want to see in an additional striker:
  • Pace
  • Strength
  • Good footwork
  • Good and instinctive finisher
  • Strong with (and not at all afraid to use) his 'weak' foot
  • Good movement - through the middle, in the box and down the channels.
  • Right place at the right time (the 6 yard box!)
  • Energetic - can press high and from the front
Again, only 10 and 2-minute clips, but I can definitely see why he's been on the radar for a while and watched pretty extensively by our network, and why we've stuck with it whilst Rushall were being difficult.
A ten minute clip which shows at least 30 seconds of players trudging back to the halfway line after each goal but very little build up play.

The main thing he’ll bring is confidence. He’s someone we should start immediately and hope he scores early.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back