• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24 (Part 2 - Back in Business. Oh no we’re not)

Transfer news
Status
Not open for further replies.
''HUH. How did I get back here at Southend''?
15504330.jpg

I’d start him over Collin. Collin is an excellent shot stopper but I think both Hayes and David Martin command their box better and are better at claiming crosses into the box which away from home especially takes a lot of pressure off the defence.

It also pushes us up the pitch if we have faith and confidence in our keeper. It’s not a priority signing by any means as Collin is solid enough but if we wanna get promotion from this league I still think keeper is one area we may strengthen. Will have to wait and see I guess as I know this divides opinion.
Why, I am really not sure just what more Collin has to do. 16 clean sheets in I believe 35/36 games. The defence has complete confidence in him. He is comfortable with the ball at his feet. He does not need replacing the Club just needs cover. Dave Martin when fit will provide that. One day Collin will make the Club decent money. Think of where Nathan Bishop went. Collin is much better.

Why, I am really not sure just what more Collin has to do. 16 clean sheets in I believe 35/36 games. The defence has complete confidence in him. He is comfortable with the ball at his feet. He does not need replacing the Club just needs cover. Dave Martin when fit will provide that. One day Collin will make the Club decent money. Think of where Nathan Bishop went. Collin is much better.
We could loan Collin out to an EFL club so we can replace him with a NL goalkeeper.....ah...yes, or we could keep him I think. But its all opinions and Kev knows best.

MARCUS Dackers is closing in on a return to Southend United.

The Salford City striker scored three goals in six games while on loan with the Shrimpers last term but was unable to extend his stay due to the club’s transfer embargo.The 21-year-old spent the second half of last season on loan with Woking before enjoying a month loan spell with Altrincham during the current campaign.

Dackers’ spell at Altrincham expired in at the start of January leaving him free to sign for the Shrimpers now the club are out of their embargo. The deal is not yet done but Echosport understands the club are working hard to complete the loan ahead of Saturday’s clash at Eastleigh.

Blues have been short of strikers since top scorer Harry Cardwell suffered a knee injury in mid-November. On-loan 18-year-old Henry Sandat is currently the only available option for the Shrimpers in attack with centre-back Brooklyn Kabongolo playing as a makeshift striker alongside him.

We were in League One when we had Nathan Bishop. He was playing against much better players every week. If you think Collin is better than him then that’s your opinion but I don’t agree.

I was surprised when Bishop got the Man Utd move but big clubs IMO can stockpile players that in all likelihood are never gonna get near the first team. But football clubs are businesses and if you can buy a player cheaply from a comparatively small club like ours and sell them back down the pyramid for a profit then it’s good business.

Nathan’s currently warming the bench at Sunderland so it’s not inconceivable he’ll end up back in League One as first choice for someone in the next couple of years.

If you think Collin is better than a keeper than went to Man Utd then what are you suggesting? I haven’t heard of any interest from City or Madrid tbh. If you just mean he could play higher than League One then again that’s your opinion but I can’t see it myself. Would love to be proved wrong though.

Totally this.

If you think Collin is better than a keeper than went to Man Utd then what are you suggesting? I haven’t heard of any interest from City or Madrid tbh.
I feel like this is a ludicrous comment…I’d agree with the original post, I’d have Collin at his age over Bishop at the same stage of development. I’m sure Bishop is the better keeper these days, but as the respective stages of career, I rate Collin.

I, like others, am not sure how else he can prove himself. Good shot stopper, defence trust him explicitly, good passer of the ball. Quality stuff

Dackers seems a really logical signing. I have seen mentioned by many opposition Managers that we are well known as having the highest number of crosses coming in than any other team in our League - imagine Cardwell and Dackers together in the 6 yard box with one at the near post and one at the far!!

It would be good to see Dackers back But is kevinn in talks with exstending cavs contract does anyone know Hate to lose him in the summer for free in the summer .

Well said!!

If Dackers continues at a goal every other game then he may well hit double figures.
That would be very welcome indeed.

I feel like this is a ludicrous comment…I’d agree with the original post, I’d have Collin at his age over Bishop at the same stage of development. I’m sure Bishop is the better keeper these days, but as the respective stages of career, I rate Collin.

I, like others, am not sure how else he can prove himself. Good shot stopper, defence trust him explicitly, good passer of the ball. Quality stuff
How is it ludicrous? I was obviously being facetious as I doubt they meant that. Which I clarified with the point about being able to play higher than League One.

For the record I think Collin is fairly solid and hasn’t let us down and like I said, signing a keeper isn’t really a priority because of that.

But I felt more confident with Nick Hayes between the sticks when I went to Woking than what I’ve seen from Collin. Again that’s my opinion. Other people have said the same on other threads so I know I’m not alone in this.

If, as some of you think, Collin goes on to play in the Championship, Premier League, Champions League, Internationally then great. I’d honestly love to be proved wrong but I see a potential League Two or League One keeper to be honest.

Anyway this is a massive tangent for a transfer thread so I’ll leave it there.

Dackers is reported to be 6.7", Kabongola is 6.4" Crowther is ? 6.4" Cardwell 6.3" add in Kensdale 6.3" and the leaping Salmons, Ralph and Scott Morris
Then theres Harry Taylor 6.2"
If a few balls just bounced off the back of their heads we should score a few more from set pieces, although we might not want to come up against too many speedy Callum Powells whilst defending

MARCUS Dackers is closing in on a return to Southend United.

The Salford City striker scored three goals in six games while on loan with the Shrimpers last term but was unable to extend his stay due to the club’s transfer embargo.The 21-year-old spent the second half of last season on loan with Woking before enjoying a month loan spell with Altrincham during the current campaign.

Dackers’ spell at Altrincham expired in at the start of January leaving him free to sign for the Shrimpers now the club are out of their embargo. The deal is not yet done but Echosport understands the club are working hard to complete the loan ahead of Saturday’s clash at Eastleigh.

Blues have been short of strikers since top scorer Harry Cardwell suffered a knee injury in mid-November. On-loan 18-year-old Henry Sandat is currently the only available option for the Shrimpers in attack with centre-back Brooklyn Kabongolo playing as a makeshift striker alongside him.

I’m finding it really strange that CP is naming targets.

I mentioned two ex-Shrimpers on the whiteboard a while back, and Dackers was one of them I’m allowed to confirm.

I’m very pleased this is close to competition. Sandat has done OK in his return, but is a second striker as opposed to someone to lead the line. I feel like he’d do really well alongside Cards. He showed it against Halifax when he wasn’t leading the line. Dackers will provide us with the option of allowing Sandat to drop off into spaces and cause problems.

3 in 6 for us previously. Knows the management set up, and the lads. He has remained in contact with the Club since he departed. He’d have extended his loan for as long as he could last season if there was no embargo, and may even be a permanent member of the squad by now.

It’ll be a loan deal, and his current deal at Salford expires in the summer, so we will have one eye on him for next season all being well.

He just needs to learn to use his size to his advantage, which takes longer for those old fashion type of centre forwards. Barry Corr took time in his career to work out how best to take advantage on his frame, same with the likes of Jon Parkin, Akinfenwa, and players of those ilk.

We’d have the option of Cardwell, Dackers, and two other forwards all being well. One of them maybe Sandat till the end of the season, or they may have their eyes elsewhere. Would be nice to have four recognised strikers at the Club. Powell, as much as he is an infectious character and works so hard, he isn’t a striker, same with the likes of Wood and Mooney before he left. So would be good to have four “proper” centre forwards again, and Kev be able to influence games more with substitutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back