• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future The Takeover - Very very close.

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a little more on my "input" on the match thread yesterday.

He then said something that I have not heard mentioned elsewhere. He said he was very keen on investigating the possibility of "safe standing" areas as he himself preferred standing at football matches. Asked my opinion I said I was now too old to stand, or indeed do much else, for 90 minutes but that it would be a very popular idea amongst many other supporters.

Finally, he said that one of the drawbacks of owning the club would be that he would have to be on his best behaviour at matches.

I liked him, and believed him and, having met a number of former chairman/owners over the years, feel that he will be a breath of fresh air.

But then what do I know?

yes, yes, yes,

I like this man. I’m closer to 60 than I am 55.

But there is no way that I am ready to sit down at footy yet.
Tony who stands behind me is 72, he also is not ready to sit down at footy.

But it would be real nice to have safe standing at Southend, as block W can sometimes be unsafe, ish, when we score at times, LOL.

would love to have a larger block W with safe standing, that would be mustard.

I work for a council (Not Southend) so I know a bit about how they work. The restrictions they are under would make your eyes water. When I've worked elsewhere you can just do stuff, there's far fewer laws on what a business can do, for example.
They also run social care for adults and children, buses for disabled kids, bin collections, council housing, homelessness. Lots of services the law says they have to deliver. And they have to do many things in certain ways because it's our money as taxpayers. So things take time. Then they're involved in a deal with a bloke with a history of not paying his bills, plus whatever else. I'm not surprised they need to take their time to make sure he doesn't **** them/us over.

What seems odd to me is that the council don't own the club, or have any formal stake in it. If an issue between Ron and Council is holding things up, it sounds to me like he's trying to use their desire that the club be saved to play silly buggers. So even though it might be 'an issue between Ron and the council' that might be Ron making unreasonable/illegal demands (Ron?!? No?!? Surely not!!) and making them go through rounds of legal and whatever to get a deal that is as not terrible as it can be for the people who live and pay tax in Southend , nevermind that they will have all sorts of legal obligations around all this.

I don't know, I'm not party to any inside information, but I do know Ron is a delusional **** and I wouldn't trust the ****er

The Cricketers has now been let according to owners Grays pub Co , so it should be reopened soon ! It used to be my local along with the Nelson many years ago now..
Well, that's good to know.
I wonder if they will reinstate the heated footrest along the bar? It was lovely on a winter's evening.

Fred Spring Jr. used to get a bit miffed when we kept asking him why he had got rid of it.

yes, yes, yes,

I like this man. I’m closer to 60 than I am 55.

But there is no way that I am ready to sit down at footy yet.
Tony who stands behind me is 72, he also is not ready to sit down at footy.

But it would be real nice to have safe standing at Southend, as block W can sometimes be unsafe, ish, when we score at times, LOL.

would love to have a larger block W with safe standing, that would be mustard.
You clearly haven't fallen off enough motorbikes in your life.

My knees are ****ed.

But as I said to JR this would be a very popular move with a lot of supporters.

You clearly haven't fallen off enough motorbikes in your life.

My knees are ****ed.

But as I said to JR this would be a very popular move with a lot of supporters.

Oh yes I have.

Having been riding for 12 years I put my Z750 into a side of a car at 60+ mph, writing the car of in the process.

Still Very much carry all the visible scares till this day.

But I still don’t like sitting down at footy.

Come on JR, COME AND STAND IN BLOCK W FOR A GAME, and let your hair down.

There’s always someone worse off in life. They may not have the pedigree of a Barnet or Yeovil but they’re not that far off it (or weren’t).

Premier teams can only loan during the transfer window, I believe
So why is the premier league different from other divisions as we loaned Kanu from Charlton outside of the transfer window . To me its a silly law as surely giving young players the opportunity of playing more matches and against senior players ,albeit from lower divisions can only help there progress which is good for football, their clubs and them personally .

What seems odd to me is that the council don't own the club, or have any formal stake in it
It would surprise me if they did. Councils up and down the country are going bust because of poor investments.

SCC have criteria for investments, SUFC meet none of them - it is also potentially an unlimited loss-making venture year-on-year as well as any one-off capital loss. A lawyer could no doubt advise, but making an investment outside of any statutory requirement or the Council's own policies would seem to be legally a bit shaky to say the least. I suspect the 90%+ of Southend electors who don't support (or probably care much about) SUFC might also have a view.

You
So why is the premier league different from other divisions as we loaned Kanu from Charlton outside of the transfer window . To me its a silly law as surely giving young players the opportunity of playing more matches and against senior players ,albeit from lower divisions can only help there progress which is good for football, their clubs and them personally .
You’ll have to ask them that! However I remember it being brought up when we first loaned the couple of Sheffield United lads when Kev first took over - they were Championship at the time. It was also brought up when we brought in Blondy and people were saying we should bring back Nathan Bishop.

We can loan in EFL players outside the window but the Premiership rules will not allow it.

You

You’ll have to ask them that! However I remember it being brought up when we first loaned the couple of Sheffield United lads when Kev first took over - they were Championship at the time. It was also brought up when we brought in Blondy and people were saying we should bring back Nathan Bishop.

We can loan in EFL players outside the window but the Premiership rules will not allow it.
just oes to show how stupid the premiership are over rated leauge with stupid rules .

Reactions: 8
I work for a council (Not Southend) so I know a bit about how they work. The restrictions they are under would make your eyes water. When I've worked elsewhere you can just do stuff, there's far fewer laws on what a business can do, for example.
They also run social care for adults and children, buses for disabled kids, bin collections, council housing, homelessness. Lots of services the law says they have to deliver. And they have to do many things in certain ways because it's our money as taxpayers. So things take time. Then they're involved in a deal with a bloke with a history of not paying his bills, plus whatever else. I'm not surprised they need to take their time to make sure he doesn't **** them/us over.

What seems odd to me is that the council don't own the club, or have any formal stake in it. If an issue between Ron and Council is holding things up, it sounds to me like he's trying to use their desire that the club be saved to play silly buggers. So even though it might be 'an issue between Ron and the council' that might be Ron making unreasonable/illegal demands (Ron?!? No?!? Surely not!!) and making them go through rounds of legal and whatever to get a deal that is as not terrible as it can be for the people who live and pay tax in Southend , nevermind that they will have all sorts of legal obligations around all this.

I don't know, I'm not party to any inside information, but I do know Ron is a delusional **** and I wouldn't trust the ****er
Re your point about the council not owning the club or having a formal stake in it - what are you talking about? No club has this (a council owning them or even being a small stakeholder) as far as I am aware and the council have never been supportive of us either.

He's basically blackmailing them. He's effectively saying the sale won't go through unless things are resolved in a way he's happy with, even though they aren't really anything to do with the club or sale.

Last edited:
yo
You

Premier league rules do not state that. Clubs can loan players out like they can sell players to any clubs at any point throughout the year providing the purchasing club is in an open transfer window or they need to wait for that to open to complete the transfer. For example, the Saudi league were able to continue signing players for about a week or two after the premier league window shut (almost happened with Salah in the last transfer window).

As our transfer window is open we are able to register (without the embargo) players who play for any team subject to the normal checks such as international clearance etc. the rules for EFL clubs did change (around 2016-17 I think) to stop them doing emergency loans for outfield players I believe and the idea of the premier league making this change was to try and stop them stockpiling players.

Anyone had any further replies or responses from Councillers when they have emailed / tweeted them?
I tweeted Anna Firth Saturday night - hasn't replied as yet (she has replied to me before) but I imagine she received quite a few that night.
And she has been actively tweeting about attending events etc. so not like she hasn't been online.......

Re your point about the council not owning the club or having a formal stake in it - what are you talking about? No club has this (a council owning them or even being a small stakeholder) as far as I am aware and the council have never been supportive of us either.
he was responding to another poster asking why the council didn’t have a stake in the club. He wasn’t suggesting the do/should!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back